Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Good team (bench player) average team (top 9)???????????

What's on your mind?

by softballdad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 pm

I laugh when I see these posts. Good team loking for a couple of players to complete roster. Speedy player and a strong bat. Definition we are looking for 2 BENCH PLAYERS 1- Speedy player will run for pitcher or catcher on tournments and thats it. Will play in some friendlies.
2- Big bat will hit for the good pitcher that can't hit or that infielder player that is great on defense but can't hit the ball to save her life. Or what is called FLEX PLAYERS, COURTESY RUNNERS OR BENCH PLAYERS.
Average team looking for players means TOP 9 wich means DD will play most of the time tournaments or friendlies. So is up to you MOM'S and DAD's do you want to spend the money for DD to be on the bench and win (pay for a title) a title or have your DD play for a team where she can help that team win a title.
I believe in getting into hot water. I think it keeps you clean.
softballdad

by coolstuff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 am

Hey, I'd like to see the posting where a coach describes the team as "average." I've never seen one. They must be very rare. :D
coolstuff

by coolstuff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 am

I went to (another site :o ) and checked the announcements from teams in my state still looking for players. Most just say they have roster spots to fill. Some are more honest. Some said they are looking for a "utility player." Some specify a position or positions (usually pitcher, catcher or outfield). One flat out said they are looking for a starting shortstop who can hit the ball.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I personally responded to a "have a roster spot open" type of announcement and it turned out well in all respects. So I guess it's just up to you to check it out and see if the team is a good fit.
coolstuff

by Cookie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Every team needs role players to be successful. Not every player is a stud that will play every inning, but skills can be learned and improved by playing with better players.

Well true and not true. Every team does not need role players to be successful, every team needs great pitching and great hitting to be successful, along with good coaching. I have seen teams with ten girls on their roster go a long way. I know an Olympic girl who got on a great team road the pine and was never given a chance to shine. She left that team for another team was given the opportunity to succeed and she did. You can only learn so much from better players, if you aren't given enough opportunity you will always be a bench player. That is right when you see a post that says "we have a great core of girls and we are looking for the right player with a big bat who runs like the wind and has a single mom who is hot and likes to party, hold on I got side tracked. What that means is, come join our team pay your dues expect to ride the pine even though you can probably be as good as any of the starters but their are parents who kiss aZZ and bitch so much about playing time you will never get a fair chance.

BTW every player is a stud just ask their parents.....
I'm not driving....
Cookie

by Skarp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Seems to me you can go to a team that already has a core group of girls in place, or go to a team that is more or less starting from scratch. As between the two, I personally would choose the former. At least then you can make a relatively informed appraisal of the team and whether/how your daughter fits in.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cookie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 pm

heretostay,
The holiday season is over bro....
call me 8:21 cal time
I'm not driving....
Cookie

by xxxYerOut » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Wins and losses all go away at the end of every season. IMO, player development is more important.

Can I vote for Good team (with a good coach) (top 9)?
xxxYerOut

by Lost_D » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 am

I have a couple of questions with which i would like input from the HEYBUCKET crowd of knowlegeable coaches.
For discussion sake lets say its a 13u player 14u and/or 11u playing 12u.
Would the responses to these questions differ?

Do you recommend sitting on the bench and practicing with a good team or playing with average coaching?

How do you get the type of coaching that will keep your daughter progressing at a similar rate to the top level players, without being in their program?

Are there any developmental teams which are looking for trainable DD’s with desire and yet are second tier at the present time?

How is the DD going to compete at a higher level if the program doesn’t practice at a higher level?

Thanks for the advice
Lost_D

by futurestar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm

It might be hard to find anyone knowledgeable here.
futurestar

by CallingCadence14 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 pm

My Favorite is the ones who posts looking for #1 pitcher and Starting Catcher and few to fill in spots on the infield.lol.
Dude thats a tm isnt it?
Why not post Manager looking to manage a succesfull tm will sponsor .
CallingCadence14

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions