Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Breaking in a catchers mitt

What's on your mind?

by frogs_mom_15 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:12 pm

DD just received her Worth Liberty mitt today. Freaking awsome!!!! Now, of course it is really stiff, and it is really white. Most oils I know of will darken brown leather, what about the white?? BTW it also has the maroon pocket and laces, so we really don't want it turning pink! Is there something else to use? Even the shaving cream has the lanoline oil, so what should we use?

Thanks
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Frog gettin' the sign
frogs_mom_15

by daylightkate » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Shaving cream is awesome for breaking in gloves eh! (that's one for you NumeroUno :? ) Other than that, put the glove on, crank up the pitching machine to balistic speed and let it hammer into the glove. Pounding the pocket with a bat like churning butter works well too.

good luck, Kate
daylightkate

by DODGERFAN » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:00 pm

WE USED VASELINE ON OUR CATCHING GLOVE,,, DID NOT DAMAGE ANYTHING AND WORKED GREAT!!!!! HEY SPAZSDAD THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HURTS!!!! :mrgreen:
"Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin." - Yogi Berra
DODGERFAN

by maxedout007 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 pm

how much vaseline would you say to put on the glove? about half the tub or a quarter?
maxedout007

by DODGERFAN » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am

maxedout007 wrote:how much vaseline would you say to put on the glove? about half the tub or a quarter?

WE RUBBED IT IN ALL OVER THE INSIDE REALLY WELL AND TIED IT UP WITH A BALL WE REPEATED THIS 3 TIMES AND IT WORKS FAST AND GREAT!!! MY DD CATCHING COACH BOUGHT HER A NEW CATCHING GLOVE AND RECOMENDED THIS PROCESS,DID NOT DAMAGE THE GLOVE AT ALL!!!! :mrgreen: GOOD LUCK.........
"Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin." - Yogi Berra
DODGERFAN

by 2bigbats08 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:43 pm

We took Nokona's advice...don't use ANY product on your glove to break it in other than getting extra pitches in it. They also put out a "glove beater" mallett that works like a charm...you are able to get the equivalent of 100 pitches in just a few minutes. After beating the glove over a few weeks while watching TV, etc....and a few catching sessions, it was perfect. It is ironic, however, that Nokona sells a glove oil, but recommends good old fashioned mechanical break in.
2bigbats08

by Glengary » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Glengary

by frogs_mom_15 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 am

:D Thanks for the link! That was very helpful and informative. In the week that we have had it, just catching and working it, we already have a soft break to it, with no oils at all. Will probably put a little conditioner in the pocket area, as suggested in the video, but good old fashion elbow grease seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for the info.
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Frog gettin' the sign
frogs_mom_15

by Coach_Gonzalez » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 pm

I don't want to make anyone mad, but you can keep your shaving cream and vaseline. I have caught for 16 years now and never used a thing. Don't be lazy. Get her into her teamates pitching lessons and behind a pitching machine and break it in so she likes it. All that other stuff does is soften the leather so everything breaks by the end of the season so you need a new one. Get down and catch! It is the only way to break in a glove.
Coach_Gonzalez

by fasterpitch92701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:51 pm

Items required:

- a very, very little bit of Vaseline. Very little.

- 5/8" schedule B PVC pipe

- one old softball

- 5/8" core drill

Drill a hole in the old softball, about 2" deep. Cut a length of PVC pipe, about 16-18 inches. Stick PVC in ball, assuring a friction fit. Remove PVC, epoxy the crap out of the hole, insert PVC, cure.

Use a very.... very little bit of Vaseline and lube the pocket LIGHTLY. Beat pocket with new ball/stick. Continue to beat. Then, beat some more. After that... beat some more. After your wife complains about the noise as you are doing this while watching TV, stop.

Use glove.

Enjoy :D
fasterpitch92701

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions