Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Advice on starting a travel team

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Travel Ball wrote:In no particular order:
Develop an idea about what you want to be 3 years from now and sell that to players/parents.
Don't be a in hurry.
Don't put the emphasis on winning early.
Recruit parents who are as good as the player.
Don't be afraid to cut immediately a kid/parent who is a cancer on your team.
Establish boundaries early with the parents (24-hour rule).
Recruit pitchers who will be great pitchers tomorrow and not just great pitchers today.
Recruit great athletes who love softball and not necessarily great softball players who love athletics.
Honestly assess the limitations of your teams. Where are your holes you have to fill to get better long-term and not necessarily right now.
Honestly assess your own DD (darling daughter).
Really, really commit in one or two of your long-term "projects" and sell their eventual skill development to future prospects/parents.
Surround yourself with good coaches who share your vision
Expect players/parents to leave for lots of good and stupid reasons, and don't get upset by it.
Be honest with kids and parents. Never lie. Never promise positions/play time.
Assign each parent a responsiblity, no matter how small, so that they are "vested" in what is happening. Parents who don't what a responsiblity are parents you don't want to.
Cut out the "crap" on the field and in the stands from the beginning.
Be the "class" of the field whether you are winning, losing, being cheated by referees, etc.
Try to do everything off the field "better" than your competition (better uniforms, better website, better organization, better pre-game warm up, better parent shirts, better hotels . . . just present the image that you are better, whether you actually are or not).
Make friends with your opponent coaches.
The coaches who can't/won't be friends with you are threated by what you are doing.
Make friends with the parents on other teams, but don't "actively" recruit other team's players. . . they will come to you if you do the right things, the right way. . .you must recruit constantly to develop a winner, but don't actively recruit other teams players.
Make friends with the tournament directors. They are NOT your enemy.
Make friends with the umpires.
Don't worry about what other people think about you.
Worry alot about what your own parents and kids think about you.
Learn the game yourself.
Teach the game at a "higher level" than your competition (drills, skills, etc.)
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.
Teach fundamentals.

Lotta good stuff in your post, but there are a couple of stinkers:

Anybody on a three year plan is kidding themselves...you won't have the same players, even if you still have the team.

You better put some emphasis on winning...which is why carrying the older players makes sense.

I have no idea what the "recruit great athletes vs great softball players" comment was about. You better have kids that can play the game.

I also have no idea about the purpose of "being better than your opponents off the field" has to do with. There are lots of teams with great uniforms who suck.

You had better know the game. You had better have a clue. Know how to manage....that means the game....that means your players....your parents....know the rules.

I'm not sure I would make friends with everyone, but you should treat them well and with the utmost respect.

Others:

The girls are 10 years old...make it fun. Make your practices fun....encourage their cheering during games...teach them how to be good winners and losers....let them know that softball is a game....provide constant positive encouragement to your players...tell your parents that they are not allowed to talk about their DD's performance on the ride home from games....take them to a season-ending National tournament.

Above all....don't take crap from anybody.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by narent » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:54 pm

TNSoftballDad wrote:
narent wrote:TNSoftballdad,

What is your team's name and what part of West TN do you come from? Memphis? I'm just curious, my DD plays for a local 12U Team and although we won't play against you, I like to keep up with other teams and how they are doing and progressing.

We're the West Tennessee Red Hotz (as voted on by the players). Most of our kids are from Jackson (as well as the coaches) but we have a few kids from surrounding counties.

I assume you're in Memphis?

MidSouth Fusion 12U. We are out of Hernando, MS. Most of the girls are from DeSoto County. We'll probably see you around the area. Good Luck to you!
"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well. "
-Crash Davis
narent

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions