Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

To creep or not to creep. that is the question

What's on your mind?

by DILLIGAFF » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Where does third base play? I know there are different situations. but I hear some coaches yell everyone's creeping. and the corners are moving forward. I see some have the 3rd base play even with the pitcher. Is there a normal spot?
"More cowbell"
DILLIGAFF

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Turn em loose.

We had this girl for years. I called her 'the matrix'. She was watching something in the batters. She new way before the batter did, if the batter was going to bunt or slap. Watching her at 16's and 18's I have never seen her make a mistake.

I am convinced that a part of that magic was realizing that she was way better making that decision on the fly. Working with her on making that decision. Like "too aggressive", "not aggressive enough".
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MysticOrg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Yes different scinarios they need to adjust but please keep in my no matter how your good your 3rd basemen is there always is that batter that can show bunt/slapp and quickly pull back, load and blast away. Last week my daughter who plays the hot corner over played and took a frozen rope to her mouth/teeth not able to get her glove up in time. This is every parents/coach nightmare which leads me to my next point 3rd base should wear a mask, we were hardcore against but we are believers now after incident it only takes one time. Now I have to wait till she heals up and see how much "gun shy" she will be nevermind the dentist bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x
MysticOrg

by hit4power » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Creeping in or walking into the play is fairly common, easier to make a quick first step if you are already moving as opposed to stuck to the ground. How close to home depends on the situation, the speed of the batter, and how we will pitch her - could be anywhere from even with the bag to 10ft up give or take. I think the more interesting debate is how far off the line do you play? Had an experienced baseball coach tell me that he thought most softball 3B players were too close to the line and would be better off playing another step or two off the line. His reasoning was that more balls are hit through the 5/6 hole and up the middle vs. down the 3B line. Moving 3B off the line another step or two would cut down the number of balls through the 5/6 hole and/or allow F6 to shade the middle a step or two w/o making the 5/6 hole bigger...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rowdyone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Having my dd in some college clinics for the past few weeks and watching USA play in the world cup. I have notice most play in front of the bag a few step than a few more on a slapper. It's all a feel the 3rd baseman has. She has to be able to read the batter and hope she's right. :o
things happen for a reason your job is find the reason
rowdyone

by 110% » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:35 pm

It comes down to 3 things. What are the responsibilities on this pitch. Once that's determined, depth and distance. Depth, how far up. Distance, how far off the line. In a normal defensive position 1.5 steps off the line so that she can get to the line in one cross over backhand. Anything that gets by down the line is a double, better to give up a little in the 5/6 hole and hope the SS gets it, but if not, it's only a base hit. Slapped defense the 3B moves more toward the 5/6 hole.

Responsibility - Depth - Distance
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Good discussion and some great points made. I have to admit that I cringe when I see young and still developing players at third base being moved up 20 feet or more to defend a possible bunt. These players don't need just masks, they need body armor. I once stopped a game and went to the opposing coach and told him that I would let him know when I was going to bunt so he could move his third baseman to a reasonable fielding position so my hitters would not kill his fielder. I think that this is an issue that parents should use when evaluating teams/coaches - you want a coach who teaches a player how to recognize, react and move to defend the small ball not a coach that is overly aggressive with your daughter's safety. JMHO.
xyzdude

by Backnine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 am

"This is every parents/coach nightmare which leads me to my next point 3rd base should wear a mask, we were hardcore against but we are believers now after incident it only takes one time."

Why hardcore against? Dumb! I mean for crying out loud put on the mask. Hockey goalies use to not wear mask too. Dont be stupid. Evolve. Bats are hotter, balls are harder, players are stronger but your DDs face, teeth , brain are the same.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fleurpink » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:56 am

Backnine wrote:"This is every parents/coach nightmare which leads me to my next point 3rd base should wear a mask, we were hardcore against but we are believers now after incident it only takes one time."
usa today protonmail
Why hardcore against? Dumb! I mean for crying out loud put on the mask. Hockey goalies use to not wear mask too. Dont be stupid. Evolve. Bats are hotter, balls are harder, players are stronger but your DDs face, teeth , brain are the same.

Anything that gets by down the line is a double, better to give up a little in the 5/6 hole and hope the SS gets it, but if not, it's only a base hit. Slapped defense the 3B moves more toward the 5/6 hole.[/color]
Fleurpink

Return to Fastpitch Discussions