Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

OK TO PLAY MORE THAN ONE SPORT?

What's on your mind?

by melsdad » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Just curious, do you think kids should devote all of there time to one sport. I know there are some coaches that want them to play one sport and one sport only. I think doing two sports will make them well rounded.
melsdad

by heybucket » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 pm

This is what coach Pete Carroll thinks about kids playing more than one sport.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1s7n3zYy3RY&rel=1
Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them
heybucket

by jofus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 am

Besides getting burnt out quickly, I think playing other sports helps in physical development for younger kids. My 9 year old boy plays a little of everything (baseball, soccer, basketball, karate), but my soon to be 13 year old DD has narrowed it down to volleyball and softball, with softball taking precedence.

I have read that when most college coaches are recruiting, they look more favorably on kids that participate in more than just the sport that they are being recruited for.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by 3Bsnag » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:37 am

I think they should play multiple sports, but have one primary focus.

The problem in my house is hubbie says school activities, including sports, come first and I don't agree. As long as I have that conversation with the coach about expectations and its not a district tournament, her priority should be softball. That's what she loves and what we spend our time/money on and what will hopefully pay for college. Jack of all trades, master of none.....
3Bsnag

by Cannonball » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:04 am

I'm in favor of multiple sports IF that player wants to do so but not just for the sake of, "playing multiple sports." I know it is a fine line. My dd plays both volleyball and softball. It isn't even close as to which sport she favors more. However, she has asked if she can "bump" the volleyball each night while I'm putting up the cage. YOU BET! I once coached a young man who won 50 high school varsity games. He also played basketball despite all of the admonishments from his peer that he could get hurt. I happened to also coach basketball and so, I once asked him why he decided to continue playing basketball. His statement was very revealing. Paraphrasing his said that in baseball he is a star. However, in basketball, he was a role player and so, playing basketball helped remind him of the gift he had in baseball. He was/is an exceptional young man.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by NuNu's Dad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 am

My DD played SB, Soccer and Basketball when she was young. February was always hell as all three sports overlapped. They all helped her develop athletically in different areas.

She eventually scaled back, giving up Basketball first, then Soccer. She added Volleyball and still plays Softball year-round and HS Volleyball & Club Volleyball.

The Volleyball training/practice/games has made her legs much stronger for her pitching. She actually misses the soccer, as that is great for aerobics and explosive speed, and she was really good at it. School has become much more demanding over the last two years, so something had to give. (She is a 2010)

She may have to give up HS Volleyball as the coaches make them stay for all three matches (Frosh/Soph, JV and Varsity), so that makes homework and sleep mutually exclusive two nights a week.
NuNu's Dad

by Lefty's Dad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:26 am

I don't see a problem with them playing multiple sports to a point. I know a few girls who play selct SB, Club volleyball AND club basketball. How do these parents do this? First, that's a ton of money but I guess if they have it to flush, then fine but where do they find the time. These girls consistently miss SB practice and sometimes even games due to another sports tournament. I think if you play for a club/travel/select team, then let it be only one and play the rest at the school level if you want to keep playing those. We are lucky and DD only wants to play SB year round and this year will run track for her school but that's it.
Lefty's Dad

by Kat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 am

Not everybody has the desire or the will to play more then one sport so I think its an individual thing. My sons couldnt of hacked it no way no how they could have never done multiple sports, they didnt have the organizational skills to do it. Now my DD has played 3 sports, volleyball (club and school) basketball (club and school) and softball (club and school) as a freshman. Now as a sophmore she has dropped playing club volleyball she often does still workout with a volleyball team and may pick up a few tournaments with that team after the school basketball season is over. It is hard when you have to pick one sport over the other as one team or the other gets let down, very difficult. I try to be up front with the teams and let them know and occasionally she has a coach who demands her to make the decision and make them priority thats up to her. She is such a go getter it comes natural to her while still maintaining a 4.0 gpa but not everyone has that ability or drive and I dont see a problem with kids figuring out their limitation and parents accepting them. Ours has been a ride....I will miss it when its over
Kat

by klandwehrmier » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Jennie Finch played basketball and volleyball in high school... Think about it. An exceptional athlete can (and usually does) accel in many sports. Division 1 college scouts know what they are looking for....
klandwehrmier

by bradrhod » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:04 am

Yes Jennie played more than one sport, but, clearly one sport was her focus. Call her dad and talk to him about a finch windmill. You will guickly get a sense that this is a softball family.
bradrhod

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions