Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

OK TO PLAY MORE THAN ONE SPORT?

What's on your mind?

by klandwehrmier » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:41 am

Have you ever checked out a Division 1 softball website? They usually have the team roster posted and player profiles. Here's one from a player for the University of Missouri who played for the same softball club that my daughter currently plays for:

"Wright City: A catcher on the Wildcat softball team, Megan Christopher was coached by Phil Burdett from 2003-05 and Fred Ross for the remainder of her high school career. Over the course of four years, Christopher was recognized as a four-time first team all-conference and all-district member earning first team all-region honors her junior (2006) and senior seasons (2007). In addition, Christopher was recognized as a second team all-state selection her junior year (2006) and received Defensive Player of the Year accolades for her work on the field. As a senior, Christopher was named to the first team-all state and was awarded Defensive Player of the Year honors for the second consecutive season. Tabbed the Female Athlete of the Year and Post Dispatch Scholar Athlete of the Year, Christopher broke 12 schools records and earned 12 letters (basketball, track and field and softball) before graduating. Christopher tacked on additional all-district and all-conference honors as a member of the track and field team and girl's basketball programs. Over the summer, Christopher was a member of the Missouri Warcats, coached by Jim Lowry, and Renegades Gold, coached by Don Havner, club softball teams. "

This is typical of the vast majority of the players at this level. The point is that although there might be a 'focus' on softball, the exceptional athlete plays many sports.
klandwehrmier

by dejavu » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:37 am

Mine plays select softball/school softball/school basketball/school volleyball and league basketball... this is at 6th grade middle school level! Next year she can pick her favorites!
dejavu

by Kat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 am

The problem we are finding with picking her favorites is coaches always trying to lure her back. Which is what is now happening with her old club volleyball team. And she misses it alot!!! But, it gets so difficult to balance everything. My DD needs to take drivers ed because she is 15 now and to be honest we are having a difficult time figuring out when she should take it because of her schedule, and I personally cant wait for her to be DRIVING!!!!
Kat

by winginit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 pm

My DD loves softball and would love to play other sports (Volleyball, Basketball, Waterpolo). She played VB for her middle school during the fall because it did not conflict with her travel ball team much. The VB coach suggested we have our daughter play Club VB, but there is only 24 hours in a day and we have to choose how to manage our time. She went with a friend and participated in a waterpolo practice, the asked her to join there team.

Actually, our biggest problem is the difference in philosophy between my wife and I. I love sports and look forward to the practices, games, etc and the weekends. She thinks it is overkill (all the sports) and would like us to spend more family time doing other activiities (Gardening, housework, school work, travel (not just softball tournaments) etc.) as well.

Unfortunately, the time commitment to softball and my wife's philosophy (there is more to life than just sports) keeps my DD from being exposed to more sports. BTW, DD is keeping up with her school work and has good grades.
winginit

by DonnieS » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 pm

>> needs to take drivers ed because she is 15 now and to be honest we are having a difficult time <<

Kat, dont feel like the lone ranger on the drivers ed deal. My kid is 17 and while she and I have been working on practice driving (in the high school football field parking lot, around the campus at night, etc. ) we have tried to schedule drivers ed - and havent done it. We have now ordered the on-line course and are going to take that. We will work on it after 10 at night. You do what you gotta do.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

>> and would like us to spend more family time doing other activiities (Gardening, housework, school work, travel (not just softball tournaments) etc.) as well. <<

You did not train her very well. Fortunately down here, a lot of guys use the deer hunting routine, weekends at the lease 'working' on getting things ready for months at a time.

Sports weekends are an easy choice for my wife - well, the choice is, do you want to come or do you want to stay home. I do have an advantage in that both daughters are on the same team.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:34 am

Donnie,

There is an online course???? Tell me more!!!! Wait here we have to have so many drives or computer simulations but tell me about your online course anyhow maybe maybe it would be approved. I feel your pain Donnie, I want her to drive very much she goes to school 27 miles from home and I never thought I would get tired of the practices and such but I am beginning to weary of watching them not to mention the days when she gets out of school but has to be back there in 2 hours, not really enough time to come home so we find a parking lot and she does homework and well I do whatever. You are a better parent then I donnie since you are still doing the driving!!!
Kat

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 am

CA here and my dd will be taking her on-line course to get her permit during Spring brake and then behind the wheel and license during the summer.

If anyone is in CA and needs the link for the permit online course, here you go:

http://www.teendriverseducation.com/site/do/index

Oh, God, driving!!!
Sftbll4ever

by DonnieS » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 am

>> I donnie since you are still doing the driving!!! <<

Kat, its not that bad, we live 2 miles from the school and fields, and I am home most of the time. We have a car set aside for her (its a Sherman Tank - a 98 suburban with a cast iron deer guard on the front), but we just dont use it except for our driving practice. I will get the website - my wife found it and ordered it, the paper work that goes with it should arrive anyday now. We decided to have the 14 y/o do it as well. She is busier than the older one but much better organized.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Dang, those are approved for our state Sftbll4evr but thanks for the link anyhow. They have to have 34 hours of classroom instruction and 6 drives or 5 drives and 4 hours in a simulator. I am hoping to get her in the summer. Then she will be driving next spring since she has a november birthday and the weather can be pretty bad so I won't let her start out driving in the winter she will have to wait for spring but that keeps me driving for another year but hey there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Kat

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions