Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is travel ball really travel ball?

What's on your mind?

by So Cal » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 am

Since Coach Gonzalez was not talented to play at the next level... could it be said that he was guilty of "watering down" the college talent pool.
Perhaps at the t-ball level we should identify those will play pro ball and make everyone else go home.
Or maybe some kids have the heart and the talent but have never truly had the coaching.
I say let them play.
My daughter was never good enough for the coach who "hand picked" his team, so we found a team and won a position through open tryouts. To date we have never lost to the coach with the "hand picked" team.
So Cal

by coolstuff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Sam what are thoughts on this?

How come Softball is travelball driven in comparison to some other sports. Football players get recruited from High School, so do basketball players. When and how did travelball become the route taken. I know it is easier for the coaches to see players at exposure tournaments but if they didn't exist the coaches would have to scout players from HS.

Don't know about football but basketball has AAU. I know a lot of b-ball players are in AAU and college coaches go to AAU tournaments to watch players. I've just recently become aware of club volleyball which performs the same function as AAU basketball and travel softball.

Admittedly, recruiting in HS football and both boy's and girl's basketball is more developed due to visibility and the existence of ranking services. But comparable travel leagues do exist for basketball.
coolstuff

by Demonboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm

How come Softball is travelball driven in comparison to some other sports. Football players get recruited from High School, so do basketball players. When and how did travelball become the route taken. I know it is easier for the coaches to see players at exposure tournaments but if they didn't exist the coaches would have to scout players from HS.

Until Sam gets around to this:

Club football isn't feasible because of among other things, the beating the players take. Basketball is a revenue sport so I could imagine that coaches are more willing to send someone from their staff to high school games (although AAU basketball has plenty to do with the recruitment of players. Especially elite ones).

Softball is not a revenue sport. College coaches do not have the time (or the budget in many cases) to go to too many high school games where they'll only see two teams. They are busy with their OWN teams during high school season and not being a revenue sport, probably don't have some scout they can send out like UCLA basketball may be willing to do during their season(speculation).

Also I would imagine that their is plenty of recruiting being done via club soccer and club volley ball.

But I still see your point Spazdad. It does seem like in fastpitch, high school ball is borderline irrelevant compared to other sports.

I know of a girl committed to a big time program who doesn't even play high school ball.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Sam » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Demonboy is correct.

Title IX produced a demand for lots of good players. The softball community responded and continues to respond by producing venues where the buyers (college coaches) can essentially attend a megamall three or four times per year to stock their cupboards. They get to talk to the salesmen and they get to request that the salesman show the product performing in a number of ways. Its nearly perfect...save for the early verbal commitment process.

Baseball is moving in this direction....soccer & volleyball are already there.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:It seems like the travel ball world has dramatically changed. Now, I am only 22 but I coach and instruct and it seems like anyone can play travel ball these days. If an athlete can not make a travel team, then they either find another or else their dad starts a team so they can play "travel." Now this is my first year out of college baseball but the world of baseball/softball has dramatically changed. In my time...around 8 years ago when I began playing travel, I was hand-picked to play travel, as were every other player on my team. 100% of our players went on to play ball in college, junior college, or got drafted. There were no pity positions or positions filled by athletes who wanted to play travel, they were athletes who earned the travel experience. Now I am all about providing students of the game with the best opportunities, but we are handing it to them on a silver platter. Because of it, public and in-house leagues are struggling, and travel ball has been watered down into something that does nothing for the player in the future. Travel got me into college ball in some ways because I played for a prestigious team, it taught me life lessons, and I was cultured in the game. Are we doing players a favor? Why do we let athletes water down the game? To protect us from their tears or them? This really bothers me for some reason. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I think your utterly and completely elitest views are a manifestation of your youth and ignorance. You want to deny children the opportunity to play a sport in the context of a travel team because they don't measure up to some cosmic, arbitrary standard? When did you imigrate from East Germany? Watering down the game? Ask any kid about that and they'll give you the WTF are you talking about look. The only people who are concerned about "watering down the game" are the adults. And why would they care? Because they want their egos fed by the successes of a bunch of children playing a game.

EDITED to add: You know what wunderkind? Since you weren't good enough to play MLB, I guess you shouldn't been allowed to play travel ball.

In sum, I am not in the same boat as you, to put it mildly.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
Coach_Gonzalez wrote:It seems like the travel ball world has dramatically changed. Now, I am only 22 but I coach and instruct and it seems like anyone can play travel ball these days. If an athlete can not make a travel team, then they either find another or else their dad starts a team so they can play "travel." Now this is my first year out of college baseball but the world of baseball/softball has dramatically changed. In my time...around 8 years ago when I began playing travel, I was hand-picked to play travel, as were every other player on my team. 100% of our players went on to play ball in college, junior college, or got drafted. There were no pity positions or positions filled by athletes who wanted to play travel, they were athletes who earned the travel experience. Now I am all about providing students of the game with the best opportunities, but we are handing it to them on a silver platter. Because of it, public and in-house leagues are struggling, and travel ball has been watered down into something that does nothing for the player in the future. Travel got me into college ball in some ways because I played for a prestigious team, it taught me life lessons, and I was cultured in the game. Are we doing players a favor? Why do we let athletes water down the game? To protect us from their tears or them? This really bothers me for some reason. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I think your utterly and completely elitest views are a manifestation of your youth and ignorance. You want to deny children the opportunity to play a sport in the context of a travel team because they don't measure up to some cosmic, arbitrary standard? When did you imigrate from East Germany? Watering down the game? Ask any kid about that and they'll give you the WTF are you talking about look. The only people who are concerned about "watering down the game" are the adults. And why would they care? Because they want their egos fed by the successes of a bunch of children playing a game.

EDITED to add: You know what wunderkind? Since you weren't good enough to play MLB, I guess you shouldn't been allowed to play travel ball.

John

Pssst. John. Germany has been unified for some 18 years or so. Ha ha.

One thing I really like about the "watering down" of travel ball in the 2000's is that there really is something for everyone. You have the top tier elite teams (national championship contenders), the next crop of teams that're still high level if not elite (will get to ASA Nationals and will be a major threat to be there Saturday or Sunday), your mid level teams (may sneak into ASA nats or do damage at Western or Triple Crown), your lower level teams (international bracket anyone?) and the Fontucky Blue Dolphins team for beginners (Utrip is at Disney!). It's not hard to find a friendly in So Cal made up of compatible teams so the games are competitive. And even if your team isn't very good, you will only get better from the girls playing together all year with the same coaches, who are able to build upon the lessons they teach as the season progresses.

This atmosphere creates a larger pool of "strong" players down the road which in turn grows the sport. Personally, I think it's great. The more the merrier.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by artomatic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Demonboy wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:

John

Pssst. John. Germany has been unified for some 18 years or so. Ha ha.

One thing I really like about the "watering down" of travel ball in the 2000's is that there really is something for everyone. You have the top tier elite teams (national championship contenders), the next crop of teams that're still high level if not elite (will get to ASA Nationals and will be a major threat to be there Saturday or Sunday), your mid level teams (may sneak into ASA nats or do damage at Western or Triple Crown), your lower level teams (international bracket anyone?) and the Fontucky Blue Dolphins team for beginners (Utrip is at Disney!). It's not hard to find a friendly in So Cal made up of compatible teams so the games are competitive. And even if your team isn't very good, you will only get better from the girls playing together all year with the same coaches, who are able to build upon the lessons they teach as the season progresses.

This atmosphere creates a larger pool of "strong" players down the road which in turn grows the sport. Personally, I think it's great. The more the merrier.

All hale Bind Squirrel and Demon Boy, my new heros who put into words what I have been thinking.
Oh yeah, and all hale Sam too...and respect his authoritah...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Spazsdad wrote:"
All hale Bind Squirrel and Demon Boy, my new heros who put into words what I have been thinking.

That has already been done

how'd you know?
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach_Gonzalez » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:53 pm

First of all, for everyone so angry with my blog, why reply or even open it knowing I wrote it? Second of all, I was drafted, and played minor league ball until blowing my knee out, post germany's unification. And lastly I am not denying anyone the opportunity to play softball. I think all of the good travel ball coaches should coach public league, where they can actually teach players how to play. A real travel team should be filled with talent so there is no need for that kind of coach, so all of you GREAT people, go coach in house and help the population. Second, what are you teaching any kid when you just find somewhere for them to be accepted? It took me until I was a junior year in high school before I was invited to play travel ball and I earned the challenge. I would like to see every player get the opportunity to learn the game, and do it SAFELY. Do I believe that any player who is "old enough" is competent enough to face some of the scary fast pitching in softball from a mere 40 ft away? NO! And there are players I would not put on a field to be in harms way of some big hitters. The players who make travel ball what it is. But hey, I am a dumb kid right. Sorry. I provide for every player I meet and then some. I give my lessons, I coach my 1 travel team, I train 3 in house teams, and I also coach for the special olympics to TEACH kids the great game of softball. But Im a dumb kid. Keep arguing, but when kids are getting injured on the field because they should not be there, dont say I didnt tell you so. Teach your kids, dont just give them an opportunity, make them earn it, 11 months a year.
Coach_Gonzalez

by artomatic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:First of all, for everyone so angry with my blog, why reply or even open it knowing I wrote it? Second of all, I was drafted, and played minor league ball until blowing my knee out, post germany's unification. And lastly I am not denying anyone the opportunity to play softball. I think all of the good travel ball coaches should coach public league, where they can actually teach players how to play. A real travel team should be filled with talent so there is no need for that kind of coach, so all of you GREAT people, go coach in house and help the population. Second, what are you teaching any kid when you just find somewhere for them to be accepted? It took me until I was a junior year in high school before I was invited to play travel ball and I earned the challenge. I would like to see every player get the opportunity to learn the game, and do it SAFELY. Do I believe that any player who is "old enough" is competent enough to face some of the scary fast pitching in softball from a mere 40 ft away? NO! And there are players I would not put on a field to be in harms way of some big hitters. The players who make travel ball what it is. But hey, I am a dumb kid right. Sorry. I provide for every player I meet and then some. I give my lessons, I coach my 1 travel team, I train 3 in house teams, and I also coach for the special olympics to TEACH kids the great game of softball. But Im a dumb kid. Keep arguing, but when kids are getting injured on the field because they should not be there, dont say I didnt tell you so. Teach your kids, dont just give them an opportunity, make them earn it, 11 months a year.

No one's angry, no one is questioning your impressive resume...but you put this out there on a public forum, so you should accept the responses...sorry about your knee, that is unfortunate.
But I bet if you saved your post, and read it 20 years from now, after maybe having some children of your own and learning some things that only time can teach, you might understand alot of the responses...
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions