Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing travel and rec at the same time

What's on your mind?

by Rotatorcuff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Experienced TB parents and coaches,
What is your take on playing TB and rec at the same time (until March 31)?
Rotatorcuff

by artomatic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:10 pm

ive seen it done.
but it seems like a grind for the kid, and one or both teams get shortchanged because eventually there are conflicts...
you know the story, you try to make everyone happy, and you end up making no one happy...
better to concentrate and fully commit to one team.
thats in so cal anyways. i wouldnt know how it works in other parts of the country...
JMHO
Last edited by artomatic on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dallasfungo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:29 pm

I assume your dd is in a younger age group and interested in the social aspect of the rec team? We've done it a couple of times:

Upside:
- there is no pressure at all, allowing your dd to play the game just for fun. novel idea.
- there is good opportunity to work on new skills with no risk, particularly with baserunning and short game decision making (e.g. reading infielders on bunt situations)
- rec players can pick up quite a bit from watching your dd's approach to the game
- assuming the rec team is community-based, it allows social interaction for you and your dd that you may not have otherwise.
- you will probably play at a field 10 minutes away. how great is that?

Downside:
- opposing coaches don't like ringers bouncing balls off the fence
- pitching quality will be batting practice, at best
- rec practices will be a waste of time
- not all rec coaches are comfortable with kids who may know more about the game than they do
- you'll have to balance conflicts; the rec team will be 2nd fiddle which may not be popular
- there will be minimal entertainment value for you, except to see your dd be the star on the field
dallasfungo

by Demonboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 pm

artomatic wrote:ive seen it done.
but it seems like a grind for the kid, and one or both teams get shortchanged because eventually there are conflicts...
you know the story, you try to make everyone happy, and you end up making no one happy...
better to concentrate and fully comit to one team.
thats in so cal anyways. i wouldnt know how it works in other parts of the country...
JMHO

Did it once when the dd was 9. Would never do it again.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by melsdad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Why would you want to go backwards??
melsdad

by CallingCadence14 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm

For me and DD it's about giving back to where she found her passion.It actually isnt about finding the best to play against rather then serving our communtiy .When she was 4-8 the older girls who gave there time teaching her to bunt the older girls who walked her through a drop step to get behind the ball while aggresively attacking it at the same time.Teaching her about being a part of a team clapping it up in ,motivation ,friendship and short term goals,teaching hard work and commitment is the ability to overcome.When she was 9-13 it was about the friendship she had ,a common grounds for her and many of her friends .This is where it all starts .Rec ball. Those of you who talk about regress and going backwards thats just silly.
They know that competitve ball is all business,and rec ball is about having fun and playing for passion of the game.Learning to be a better sport and person.
To me anyone who found there passion in the sport, in rec ,and doesnt give back didnt learn anything worth giving back.
CallingCadence14

by Rotatorcuff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 pm

New travel team - 1st year, newly established team. Not certain about the strength of the team or if it will last.

Our 1st year of travel - 11 yr old in 12U

And the rec league is begging us to stay.

I don't know if its going backwards yet. So I'm thinking we check it out with travel ball being the priority. After 2 mos we'd have to make a decision.

Thank you all for responding - I do appreciate your thoughts.
Rotatorcuff

by txfpcoach » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Did the travel to rec and wouldn't do it if the team can't stay togther. However this year the league has asked our 8U girls to play 10U (they move up in the fall anyway) The whole team will be together and gain experiance. Our stats don't count but that's not the reason of rec anyhow (not with girls used to travel) If you can keep them together great playing one level up great if you're putting her on a team with girls who only play 2-3 months a year I wouldn't reccomend it unless she's just starting to pitch and needs the time in the circle
txfpcoach

by thatguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 pm

I don't think I've seen anyone mention what may be the most obvious reason NOT to do both at the same time.....injury. I understand you could get an injury washing your truck (Jeff Kent), but I would hate to see your DD collide with an inexperienced 1st baseman on one of those one-hoppers to the fence. That is not a conversation I would look forward to having with said DD's travel coach, especially if travel is your "priority".
thatguy

by qwikvr6 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Once you go travel, you can't go back. :lol:
qwikvr6

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions