Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing travel and rec at the same time

What's on your mind?

by BeyondTheScoreBoard » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:33 am

I think I understand this better. In the larger population areas there are enough girls to run rec and travel programs side by side with very few girls playing both. No problem as all the girls are getting what they want out of their programs.

Out in the sticks it is a bit of a different story, take the TB girls out of Rec and Rec dies. When Rec dies so does the HS program. Or the HS program becomes a doormat. Between our varsity and JV we may have 25 girls out, only about 5 with TB experience. Obviously these TB girls make up the core of the varsity.

We do have solid contributors that have never played TB. By the time they are Juniors, they are able to contribute at the varsity level.

I have spent a lot of time to make our rec league better. Two of my rec pitchers have already been in the gym throwing. In this area, the non TB parents just don't start thinking softball until the snow melts. But, when you call them, or ask their daughter if she wants to come into the gym for some practice, the answer is almost always yes.
BeyondTheScoreBoard

by Sam » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:19 am

Rotatorcuff wrote:Experienced TB parents and coaches,
What is your take on playing TB and rec at the same time (until March 31)?

Is your DD a pitcher on her travel team?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Rotatorcuff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Yes, she is a pitcher. Just curious, why do you ask?

We have already decided that it will be travel ball only. Originally, when this question was posed, we were on a startup travel ball team. It did not look like a strong team and the future of the team is definitely uncertain. Since the original post, we tried out for another team and made it, (looks to be stronger and has been playing for several seasons) and no longer feel the need to play rec ball as a back up, in case the startup team were to fold.

The coach of the latter team we joined did not like the idea, for many reasons mention in this thread, but the most prevalent reason was risk of injury. Why spend time looking at several players as a hopeful starting or #2 pitcher and take the chance of injury playing rec.

So no more rec ball for this kid.

Rotatorcuff
Rotatorcuff

by coolstuff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:28 am

Rotatorcuff wrote:Yes, she is a pitcher. Just curious, why do you ask?

I don't mean to speak for Sam, but I understood the question. One of the big miffs that rec ball has against travel ball is that the good pitchers go to travel and rec ball gets the leftovers. Just about every travel ball pitcher and her parents that I have known, who are close to other families in rec ball, has been pressured to play rec ball because "we won't have a decent team if your daughter doesn't pitch." In other words, it will be all your fault if your DD's best friends play on a losing rec ball team. I think that's downright despicable to put that kind of social pressure on a family.
coolstuff

by Rotatorcuff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks - I do understand the question now.

The rec league will have to settle with my volunteer coaching time and my youngest DD.
Rotatorcuff

by Sam » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:51 am

Rotatorcuff wrote:Yes, she is a pitcher. Just curious, why do you ask?

We have already decided that it will be travel ball only. Originally, when this question was posed, we were on a startup travel ball team. It did not look like a strong team and the future of the team is definitely uncertain. Since the original post, we tried out for another team and made it, (looks to be stronger and has been playing for several seasons) and no longer feel the need to play rec ball as a back up, in case the startup team were to fold.

The coach of the latter team we joined did not like the idea, for many reasons mention in this thread, but the most prevalent reason was risk of injury. Why spend time looking at several players as a hopeful starting or #2 pitcher and take the chance of injury playing rec.

So no more rec ball for this kid.

Rotatorcuff

I asked because the only reason to play both would be if your DD was a pitcher who didn't throw very much for her travel team. Pitching for a rec team would be beneficial in that case.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FPDD_cabbie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 am

a msg to 'anonlooker'

Where I am at in LA county, 'Parks & Rec' Softball is a step down from REC Softball (ASA sanctioned). Its nice that the city provides these activities for the kids but its not the same thing as ASA REC Softball. Parks & Rec Softball is normally played during the summer, cost about $50 for 6-8 weeks, players get a hat & shirt & trophy, umpires are high school/college kids, and the game is limited to 3 innings or 60 minutes. Quality of Parks & Rec Softball is not as good as REC Softball hence the cheap batting helmets.

Some REC Softball parent use Parks & Rec softball to help get their kids better. Wide range of skill levels so injuries are common.

So actually without including HS Softball there is -

Travel Ball
REC Softball (ASA sanctioned)
Parks & Rec Softball

And yes I have my daughter playing TB & REC this spring. TB has priority and REC coach has his daughter playing Club Soccer concurrently.
The secret to happiness is a Good Sense of Humor and a Bad Memory.
FPDD_cabbie

by Demonboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 am

We couldn't do rec and travel at the same time if we wanted. The travel team shuts down every spring during "rec season". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Demonboy on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Judd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 am

Its funny, my DD just got asked to pitch for a rec team. We are going to do it so she can get the mound time. It will be tough playing TB and rec. TB has priority and the rec coach knows it but she really needs a pitcher and DD can use the time
Judd

by Stubs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Both of my daughters started playing ball at the local Little league.

My oldest started pitching when she was 10 and eventually improved to the point where she wanted to try out for a travel team. So at 13 she tried out and made a local TB team that was the only established, non-daddyball program in our area. She did continue to play at the local Little League but with the understanding that TB took priority. The Little League program for girls pretty much dries up after the they reach HS age because the marginal players can't compete anymore mainly because they were there for the social aspect rather than the love of the game. The ones who still play ball are playing TB and HS ball. What is sad is that in our area we have several HS coaches that hate TB, some to the extent that they penalize girls who do play TB. I know it sounds crazy, but happens.

My youngest daughter is getting the benefit of playing with a group of exceptional young ladys with parents that are not content with the Little League season ending in July. This group has created what I call an extension of Little League (although it is NOT part of the Williamsport organization). This year we have played in four tournaments and are scheduled to play in at least three more before the Little League season begins. They now have an indoor practice facility and field three teams, 10U, 12U & 14U. The goal is to keep this program going and eventually transition the older girls to complete TB and hopefully college scholarships. I guess you could call it a hybrid organization. So in a sense this situation is allowing these girls to to experience both worlds without scheduling conflicts.

We are hoping that this will strengthen our girls and the Little League park. Our district has a past 12U Girls Fastpitch Little League World Series champion and our goal is to add another one.
"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so" Ronald Reagan
Stubs

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions