Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Off Season Restrictions

What's on your mind?

by Spirit1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:53 am

Just curious, What if any restrictions are there in your particular state by the high school governing body pertaining to off season practice or playing with your high school staff and or team?

I am especially interested in the California rules.
Spirit1

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Most of the CIF rules state that the player can only practice with the teams on Sunday's. They can not play games that involve any type of umpires (Official games).

I know that our team will be practicing on Sunday's to keep the girls working out together.
Sftbll4ever

by Spirit1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 pm

My first question is a little confusing.

Here in Ohio High School teams can not be coached by their high school coach except from February 25th thru the end of the high school season.

The only exception to that are ten days during the summer.

Do other states regulate how much a high school coach can actually coach their team?
Spirit1

by coolstuff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 pm

Just for comparison, here's the rules in Indiana as I understand them. I know a travel ball coach who coached HS at the same time. He had two of his HS players on his travel ball team. There was a HS player on DD's 14U team last year.

When official practice starts in early April, HS players cannot play on or practice with a travel team. 16U/18U teams just suspend their season until they get their players back. Some young HS players are on 14U teams and have to drop out for a while, which can put the hurt on a team. Whenever the HS team is knocked out of the state tournament, their season is officially over and the players can return to their travel teams. It doesn't matter if the HS coach is also coaching the travel team. In fact some HS coaches put their players together and form travel teams to play throughout the summer.

However, when the school year starts in the fall HS coaches cannot practice with their own HS players for a few months (not sure how long the ban is in effect), even if its with a travel team. Sometime in the winter they're allowed so they can hold tryouts, start conditioning, etc. I suppose if a HS coach had a travel team that didn't have any of his HS players, he could continue to coach the travel team.

But from June through mid-August it's wide open on what the coaches and players can do.
coolstuff

by Sam » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:Most of the CIF rules state that the player can only practice with the teams on Sunday's. They can not play games that involve any type of umpires (Official games).

I know that our team will be practicing on Sunday's to keep the girls working out together.

Not true. Players cannot play with their teams in games during the season. Teams CHOOSE to practice on Sundays since there are no HS functions on Sundays. If a travel team practices on Saturday or Friday evening or Thursday evening etc....there is no restriction from the players' participation.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Thanks Sam!!!
Sftbll4ever

by softball_parent » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 pm

I believe you can even play games as long as there is no umpire. When my daughter was in HS in SoCal we played against other teams and had the catchers or a parent call balls and strikes and had a player umpire in the field. We used this as a "practice" Wasn't exactly the same as a true game but it worked.
softball_parent

by Demonboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Spirit1 wrote:Just curious, What if any restrictions are there in your particular state by the high school governing body pertaining to off season practice or playing with your high school staff and or team?

I am especially interested in the California rules.

I'm not sure of the EXACT rules here because no one seems to observe them.
:mrgreen:
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

Return to Fastpitch Discussions