Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Do you make your pitchers wear a mask?

What's on your mind?

by jofus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I've told my daughter that if she keeps pitching, once she is pitching to 14U she is going to start wearing a mask. Especially since she has a long aggressive stride and is less than 35 feet from the plate after the pitch.

Obviously, being a 12 year old, she thinks she is invincible, it won't happen to her, etc. So, it's soon going to be time for some tough love (I have a feeling that's gonna be my theme over the next 6 years, about softball and everything else :| ).

Just wondering how other people handle this...I've seen 10U teams with the entire infield wearing masks and heart protectors, which could be a little overkill, but it's hard to fault someone for being "too" safe.

Which reminds me, on a related note, I have heard of sports bras with a pocket in the middle for a heart protector plate (whatever you call them), but haven't been able to find one yet...do they really exist, and where if so?

TIA
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by bucketdad96 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 pm

My dd has worn a Gameface mask for over a year. She wears it not only when pitching, but any time she's on the field, (warming up, infield, outfield, etc.) She's never been hit in the face before or after she started wearing the mask. I bought it when she started pitching to older girls in league play (10 year old pitching to 14U.) We discovered that it gives her a lot more confidence while fielding, doesn't pull her head up at all.
She was a little self-conscious at first but after seeing the majority of pitchers and corner infielders at ASA Nationals wearing masks she's fine with it. Most of our tournament team infielders wear masks now.
She's never complained about the mask affecting vision at all, even when playing outfield. Her only complaint has been that it gets a little hot during summer tournaments.
I purchased a Defender mask for this year. It's very similar to the Gameface but only has one strap. She hasn't used it enough to give an opinion on it yet but she says it looks "cool".
bucketdad96

by bucketdad96 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 pm

10U ASA Nationals in Auburn last August had more masks worn than I had seen anywhere else.
bucketdad96

by Pontiac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Gameface saved my daughters face. This happened in July 2006...while pitching in an 18U tourney she took a ball just to the right of her chin on lower jaw. Knocked her off her feet like she'd been shot. Ball actually ricocheted down and hit her collar bone also. The sound was horrible...like an aluminum can being crushed but much louder. Other than a slightly sore jaw and collarbone....no damage and she pitched again the next day. She's an experienced pitcher who has never even had what I would say is a close call during the 1 1/2 years she has been wearing it. Best $35 I've spent....

The following is what another parent posted in response to my post above....

Hey Pontiac,
Glad your DD is OK. I saw it happen. We played 12U in that Tourny and I was watching you guys play between our games. I always thought that a pitcher could be prepared for a line-drive at them, but after seeing what happened to you DD, and how fast it happened. I am ordering a game face for my DD pitcher. There was no chance what so ever for her to block much less catch that ball.
Pontiac

by kls_hittingacademy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 pm

My DD started to wear a game face in fall league this year. During high school she almost got her head taken off by the coach hitting infield practice before a game. She had a couple of close calls play tournaments this summer. She really likes the mask it makes her feel safe and gives her confedence. The only thing we have done to it was replace the chin pad with a football chin pad. The one that came with the gameface pushed on her chin to hard.
kls_hittingacademy

by jofus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:18 pm

That's good to hear Pontiac, that your daughter came out of a scary situation OK. The Gameface is the one I have been looking at.

My DD hit a line drive up the middle in a tournament last year that missed the pitchers left ear and shoulder by a couple inches....she was an experienced pitcher, and I don't think she even moved her glove at all, it was on her so quick. It gave me a sick feeling thinking how close it was....besides the girl that gets hit, obviously, think how a 12 year old that hit the ball would feel.

With the bats like they are today and the kids bigger and stronger than ever, <40 feet doesn't give you near enough time to react.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by thatguy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Has anyone heard if these masks will be required equipment for the corners and in the circle in the coming years? I thought I heard that somewhere.
thatguy

by bkatona » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:13 pm

The DD is 10 and will be pitching at 12U this season....I first saw the mask last year on TV during the NCAA tourney...once DD started to learn to pitch, we considered it and will now make her wear it this season...we are also adding the cage to the batting helmet as 12U pitchers can have good velocity. No reason to have DD protected in the field and not at the plate.
bkatona

by Kat » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 am

To me it was not an option if you want to pitch you are wearing this....there wasnt a discussion on it. She used to get embarrassed about it but I stuck to my guns and now more and more girls are showing up with them. Her biggest worry was that people would think she was scared of the ball, I told her the first shot they make they will figure it out really quickly..
Kat

by Judd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Its pretty simple for us. Play with the mask or sit on the bleachers

DD is 1st year 12U and she started wearing it in 10U.

Yesterday a girl was catching pop ups in LF and she took a high floater to the eyebrow. Thank goodness it bounced off her glove. She wasnt bleeding, she got some ice and mom took her home. Mask would have helped

In fall I had a 1st baseman get hit in the mouth with a ball. I think it bounced off her glove but she was bleeding. She is a 2nd year 12, bigger girl. Now seeing her at practices, she is scared of the ball and turns away from it. So someone lent her a gameface.

These are both good players with skills and experience. But accidents happen.

Bottom line is I think every girl on the field should be wearing a mask regardless of skill level. A 35-50$ investment to protect those pretty faces? Why would you NOT?

Pontiac, glad your DD had one
Judd

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions