Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Conducting Tryouts

What's on your mind?

by TNSoftballDad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Alright...about to help conduct my first-ever tryout and I'm looking for some pointers. There are obvious things (I think) that I have already been planning such as having a plan, knowing what skills to look for and what drills to do in order to observe the skills, etc.

I would definitely love to read advice from you seasoned vets out there on how to get the most out of a tryout.

BTW, it should be good enough weather to have it outside if that makes any difference in your advice.
TNSoftballDad

by coolstuff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 am

At the end of the tryouts, meet with all the players AND their parents/guardians, and explain in detail the policies of the teams and the fees and time commitments required, and have it in writing to give to each family. Get that done before you make the first offer and you'll avoid many headaches down the road.
coolstuff

by Intel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 am

Have someone else run the drills so you can watch for all the little details. Have batting off live pitching and a pitching machine. I cannot tell you the number of Cage Hitters who cannot touch live pitching. Also, watch your catchers work the pitchers and hitters when calling their own pitches. Their is more to picking the right team then who can throw the hardest, hit the farthest and has the best speed.
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slider201 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Do not coach the prospects during tryouts.

All drills are measurable - objective, not subjective.

Give each candidate both infield and outfield drills regardless of where they want to play.

Pitchers do not pitch to a batter, only to a catcher.

If you have the choice, try catchers on a field with a deep backstop (with no drain - don't laugh, happens around here).

Have a couple of your existing players available to answer questions.

Have all of your assistant coaches attend the tryouts.

Do not allow existing parents to "help" with the tryouts. If you are short handed, bring in a third party.

Make sure prospects warm up. Coaches' #1 priority is the health and safety of the girls.

Attempt to tryout one player at a time per event, i.e., try not to have multiple fields going with simultaneous activities. I know some tryouts have massive turnouts and it's not always possible. Maybe split tryout dates.
Media idiots: learn the meaning of the word troop(s). A soldier is not a troop, stupid.
troop: 1 a: a group of soldiers; b: a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company; c: plural: armed forces soldiers
slider201

by UTNOONE » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:36 am

Tnsoftballdad. Curious as to how the tryouts went. :?:
UTNOONE

by TNSoftballDad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Pretty good. It was too wet to get in the infield so we had to conduct all our infield/outfield/pitching drills in the grass. But I thought it went very smoothly...we were able to keep things moving and get a good look at everyone. The kids that showed up were very respectful and showed good attitudes, and the parents seemed friendly and stayed out of the way.
TNSoftballDad

by coolstuff » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:15 pm

TNSoftballDad wrote:and the parents seemed friendly and stayed out of the way.

There are parents who are genuinely friendly, and there are those who are trying really hard to "seem" friendly. I have no advice on how to spot the difference before the leopard shows its spots.
coolstuff

Return to Fastpitch Discussions