Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why do weak teams feel the need to "play up"

What's on your mind?

by Lori » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:43 am

Seriously, I understand why younger teams play up in age division, but why would a coach with a "B" team attempt it?

Way too often weaker teams are playing up these days(especially in North Texas), and going 2 and out in bracket play, week after week after week. What good is this doing the girls...seriously?!

There are 16u tourneys this year in DFW staring to fill up with 94 and 95 "B" teams-WHY!??!?!
They don't compete at their own age yet--how stupid can these coaches be?

I am too flustered to finish, so I will stop here, get some response, then continue with my tirade later!!
Lori

by Lefty's Dad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:18 am

I understand why "A" teams play up, in order to improve their game and learn to play at a higher level. That is as long as the team can compete at a high level of their own age division. "B" teams playing up? That confuses me as well but down here in Houston, the only "B" teams that I know of are rec league teams, usually All-Star teams.
Lefty's Dad

by 3Bsnag » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 am

Lori, I think we need to explain to everyone what this area is like regarding "B" teams, since most don't get the magnitude.
In Texas, there are 422 12U B teams and 187 12U A teams. In 14U, 256 A teams, 325 B teams. Granted some of these are old or duplicates, but you get the idea.

I explain this because from what I've read about other area's, B teams are rec teams. Not the case here. Usually in the 8u and 10U ages, teams automatically start in B, but the time 12's roll around, these girls are way more advanced than rec players and way less skilled than A players (generally speaking).

Now I'm no VTD/ASA expert, but I think they get to pick their classification upon team registration. If they choose A, they can not change to B without approval from their JO Commish. Hence, the large population of B teams.

Just an explanation, the floor is now open...
3Bsnag

by Lori » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 pm

3bsnag--thanks for helping explain this--I was too hot about it earlier to say it all. "b" teams here are like rec ball teams on steroids....good, but not that good to play up by any means.

With that being said, I think it is a great idea for "B" temas to play up to "A" tourneys--in their age division only--not 1 or 2 ages older.
Lori

by Demonboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Lori wrote:3bsnag--thanks for helping explain this--I was too hot about it earlier to say it all. "b" teams here are like rec ball teams on steroids....good, but not that good to play up by any means.

With that being said, I think it is a great idea for "B" temas to play up to "A" tourneys--in their age division only--not 1 or 2 ages older.

Maybe not. Seems like ASA "B" Western Nationals is consistently won by rec ball teams.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Lori » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:29 pm

I am talking more about "B" teams in DFW..sorry Ididn't explain that.
Lori

by frogs_mom_15 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Some times it is hard to explain it to people in different areas of the country. From what I have followed from these boards, SoCal has "A" teams and rec all-stars which they classify as "B" teams. It seems that other areas, TX and TN being represented, that there is a larger number of "B" teams over "A" teams. Rec is just that. You pay your $50 your kids gets a shirt and possibly a hat and you practice for about 2 weeks and play two days a week for 8 to 10 weeks. Seasons over till next spring. Then after the girls play a couple of seasons, they improve and move on to the travel "B" teams. Play a couple of seasons, improve then move onto "A" teams. I see it as a good thing.

Now as for "B" teams playing 2 divisions up with "A" teams is crazy! If you are a second year 12U "B" team, play a tourney where alot of 12U "A" teams have entered. Possibly even a 14U "open" so you can get exposure to different levels of play. 12U "B" playing 16U "A" is not a good idea in my book.
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Frog gettin' the sign
frogs_mom_15

Return to Fastpitch Discussions