Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

lefty catcher, runner on third

What's on your mind?

by Tucson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 am

I was watching a 12U ASA catcher yesterday, who is a lefty.

WIth a runner on third and after a pitch, the batters would move up in the box toward the line to take the signal from the 3rd base coach. This effectively blocked the catcher from ever throwing to third. Do you have your catcher attempt to throw (probably hitting the batter that is 2 feet away) or do you say to the ump "she's blocking my throw". Will the ump ask the girl to back out the other way?
Tucson

by dallasfungo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:19 am

The catcher has to move to get a clear throwing lane. Being a lefty, going behind the batter should be easier, especially on an inside pitch. However, unless I've misunderstood your post, I'm not sure why there should ever be the need to throw down to 3B when the batter is taking signals. The pitcher should have the ball in the circle at that point. It sounds like your catcher is holding the ball too long. Our view is to either snap it back to the pitcher or make the throw to 3B, don't dance with the runners.
dallasfungo

by watcher » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:28 am

My DD has been taught to either set-up deeper on the insidepitch & closer on the outside pitch giving a better lane to throw, Being a tall catcher (6') Many times she can throw over the batter.
watcher

Return to Fastpitch Discussions