Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Sportzone in Indy

What's on your mind?

by Comets16 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Our team the 12U Huntsville Comets will be making the trip to Indy to play at the Sportzone March 7-9. Any input on what to expect will be appreciated.

http://eteamz.active.com/comets96/
Comets16

by Stubs » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Short fences, low ceiling and rug burns. But it is not a bad place to play when you are looking to get out of the winter weather. The place is usually hopping with basketball and soccor matches going on besides softball.

Speaking of weather, Indianapolis temperatures can be anywhere from below zero to 60 degress in March.

If you know any of the teams that are participating in this tournament let me know and I might be able to give you some insite (especially if they are Indiana teams). I checked the Sportzone website and they don't post teams signed up for their tournaments, and ASA Indiana doesn't either (that I have been able to find).
"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so" Ronald Reagan
Stubs

by Cannonball » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:27 am

Stubs wrote:Short fences, low ceiling and rug burns. But it is not a bad place to play when you are looking to get out of the winter weather. The place is usually hopping with basketball and soccor matches going on besides softball.

Speaking of weather, Indianapolis temperatures can be anywhere from below zero to 60 degress in March.

Very accurate assessment. We played there a couple of weeks ago. My only real complaint, and one of which will probably prevent us from going back, is that we played at 4:30 in the morning for our first game. Then, we played at 6:00 in the evening. Then, we played at 2:00 in the morning again, then 4:30 then... Well, when we got back to our hotel, we were worn out and yet, the hotel would not change checkout. I had to drive 4+ hours home on about 4 hours of sleep. I was not happy. BTW, the rug burn issue could be huge. We lost a pitcher to it when she slid into second and really hurt her hand with a burn.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by coolstuff » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:57 pm

This is an edit of a previous post. We were at Sportszone last weekend.

The outfield fences are REAL close. The outfielders were backed up almost to the fence. The backdrop behind home is short but we were able to get extra bases off passed balls because the ball bounces off it. Foul balls off the backdrop are not playable. There is a net above the entire field, with a marked off area above the infield. Any fair ball that hits the net is playable. A ball that touches inside the marked area is called foul if it isn't caught, and the ball comes off the net at funny angles so it's hard to catch one off the net. Games are scheduled continously as noted. All games are 70 minutes and played to the end of the current inning. And game starts are scheduled 1:20 apart, and there is only one field. By the time of our early Sunday morning games, the tournament was a full game behind schedule.

DD hit a high line drive that one-hopped over the outfield fence for a ground-rule double that scored a runner from second. Another line drive between second and third was easily picked up by LF, because she was playing in so close because of the fence, that the LF was able to throw DD out at 1, and DD is pretty darn fast.
coolstuff

Return to Fastpitch Discussions