Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Bat rolling and shaving

What's on your mind?

by starbound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 am

I just received an e-mail from a company that rolls and shaves bats.
I read the entire article about the process on rolling and shaving composite bats but this can't be legal is it? Does anyone out their know anything about this?
starbound

by slim00 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 am

Shaving is definitely not legal. Rolling may be questionable as far as being legal. However rolling is the best way to shorten the life of your bat. I would not consider doing either to a $300 bat. Besides if you do and you injure someone you could really open yourself up to a liability issue.
slim00

by Bucket Mom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

This is absolutely not legal and is very dangerous. We know a local woman who basically had her face crushed because she received a line drive right back at her while she was pitching in a co-ed game. The bat was a shaved bat and the guy swinging it will be held liable.

After witnessing what could happen and what did happen, anyone who would use a shaved or rolled bat is crazy. This woman is lucky to be alive.
Bucket Mom

by ssarge » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:54 am

This is absolutely not legal and is very dangerous. We know a local woman who basically had her face crushed because she received a line drive right back at her while she was pitching in a co-ed game. The bat was a shaved bat and the guy swinging it will be held liable.

So some guy used a doctored bat in a CO-ED game? You have got to be kidding me.
ssarge

by ssarge » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:59 am

Rolling may be questionable as far as being legal. However rolling is the best way to shorten the life of your bat.

If it hasn't been legal, it probably is going to be. SInce bats tested under the new ASA testing proceedure will be pre-rolled.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by slim00 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Bucket Mom wrote:This is absolutely not legal and is very dangerous. We know a local woman who basically had her face crushed because she received a line drive right back at her while she was pitching in a co-ed game. The bat was a shaved bat and the guy swinging it will be held liable.

After witnessing what could happen and what did happen, anyone who would use a shaved or rolled bat is crazy. This woman is lucky to be alive.

I'm not trying to debate because I'm against using "doctored" bats. But how was it proven that the bat was shaved? Did they take it apart? Did the fool (and he is a fool if he used one) just volunteer that it was shaved? That's why I stated what I did on my original post. You should be able to take a bat apart and tell if it was shaved. But how would you tell the difference between a rolled bat and one that was broken in by hitting lots of balls?

By the way I've seen the results of a full grown man being hit in the face during a slowpitch game. The batter was using a cheap single walled metal bat. It can happen using legal equipment. That's why my DD wears a gameface now.
slim00

by DBLUE » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:18 pm

This is not legal, and the rolling is not either. Nor should it ever ssarge! This is a very common thing in the slowpitch world, and from what I see nowadays, it is in the fastpitch world also. I've seen many a bat come through with a very distinct sound. I've actually tossed a few out of the game , and just said don't bring that out again. These bat doctors should be shut down immediately. If we don't think that there are loaded bats in the fastpitch world, then you have blinders on. Just listen, and watch the ball fly off these bats. If you know what your looking, and listening for, it's very easy to see.

Asa starting in July, are making sure that these bats come out with a proper ABI(advanced break in) period already in place. If these bats are rolled , or shaved after bat is received, then it is illegal. All manufacturers are participating. Most bats that we have now will be grandfathered in.
DBLUE

by umpinva » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 pm

starbound wrote:I just received an e-mail from a company that rolls and shaves bats.
I read the entire article about the process on rolling and shaving composite bats but this can't be legal is it? Does anyone out their know anything about this?

Starbound,

Can you PM me or post the company's website? I'd like to find out more information.
umpinva

by slim00 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm

DBLUE wrote:This is not legal, and the rolling is not either. Nor should it ever ssarge! This is a very common thing in the slowpitch world, and from what I see nowadays, it is in the fastpitch world also. I've seen many a bat come through with a very distinct sound. I've actually tossed a few out of the game , and just said don't bring that out again. These bat doctors should be shut down immediately. If we don't think that there are loaded bats in the fastpitch world, then you have blinders on. Just listen, and watch the ball fly off these bats. If you know what your looking, and listening for, it's very easy to see.

Asa starting in July, are making sure that these bats come out with a proper ABI(advanced break in) period already in place. If these bats are rolled , or shaved after bat is received, then it is illegal. All manufacturers are participating. Most bats that we have now will be grandfathered in.

I think what ssarge was getting at is that the ABI procedure will basically be rolling. ASA will test a "rolled" or ABI bat to make sure it does not exceed 98 mph. But if I'm wrong I'm sure ssarge will correct me.
slim00

by NumeroUno » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm

DBLUE

The question is how long will these bats be grandfathered in? Should parents of a 10U kid stock pile bats to get their DD through high School.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions