Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Bat rolling and shaving

What's on your mind?

by DBLUE » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I gotcha ssarge. I would love to see them at the bigger tournaments, qualifiers and such have some policy in place. In slowpitch, they make them bring their bats to be inspected before tourney starts, and then they get a sticker put on the bat , that has to be there when they come to the plate. At least we would know that someone really looked at this bat. But, anyways, this problem won't go away, because of the money being made by the bat manufacturers. Just would like it to policed a little better.
DBLUE

by ssarge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 pm

If a player is hurt from a batted ball and a coach wants the bat inspected for suspicion of illegality, I simply confiscate the bat and turn it over to the tournament director or my assignor so it can be sent for testing if necessary. Many legal issues can come into play if the bat tests as being altered.

Getting the TD involved would be a good thing. It would save me the trouble.

PLEASE tell me you don't actually do this. Inspect the bat whenever you want, and confiscate it IF there is strong evidence it is illegal. NOT because an opposing coach questions it. That is just ridiculous.
ssarge

by umpinva » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:27 pm

ssarge wrote:
If a player is hurt from a batted ball and a coach wants the bat inspected for suspicion of illegality, I simply confiscate the bat and turn it over to the tournament director or my assignor so it can be sent for testing if necessary. Many legal issues can come into play if the bat tests as being altered.

Getting the TD involved would be a good thing. It would save me the trouble.

PLEASE tell me you don't actually do this. Inspect the bat whenever you want, and confiscate it IF there is strong evidence it is illegal. NOT because an opposing coach questions it. That is just ridiculous.

Of course if I suspect a bat is illegal I'm going to inspect it. Just because a player is hurt on a batted ball doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to inspect the bat. My point was that if an injury occurred and a coach wanted the bat inspected, and I had any doubt about it's legality; I would turn the bat over to the TD or my assignor for any further action to be taken. In today's litigious society, I'm protecting my a$$.
umpinva

by bradrhod » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 pm

It is in the rules. If umpire, for any reason suspect that bat if test would not comply with ASA bat performance standards, they should remove the bat.

Rule 3, Section 1, Article A(3)
must, in the sole opinion and discretion of the umpire, have been
manufactured prior to 2000 and, if tested, would comply with the ASA
bat performance standards then in effect.
bradrhod

by ssarge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 am

Of course.

My point is that you don't assume it is illegal just because someone was injured.

And you don't confiscate a bat because an opposing coach has "doubts" about it's legality. You confiscate it if there is evidence it is illegal.

If a player is hurt from a batted ball and a coach wants the bat inspected for suspicion of illegality, I simply confiscate the bat and turn it over to the tournament director or my assignor so it can be sent for testing if necessary.
ssarge

by bradrhod » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:05 pm

I hear what you are saying and hope that blue's use common sense in these matters.

But, the rule actually allows blue to form his opinion how ever he likes, it is his descretion. If he uses the fact that a player was injured, so be it. If he uses the fact that an opposing coach is making claims, he is allowed to do that...
bradrhod

by umpinva » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:10 pm

ssarge wrote:Of course.

And you don't confiscate a bat because an opposing coach has "doubts" about it's legality. You confiscate it if there is evidence it is illegal.

If a player is hurt from a batted ball and a coach wants the bat inspected for suspicion of illegality, I simply confiscate the bat and turn it over to the tournament director or my assignor so it can be sent for testing if necessary.

Usually the only time a coach influences me is when he tells his team to line it up when the game is over.

bradrhod wrote:But, the rule actually allows blue to form his opinion how ever he likes, it is his descretion. If he uses the fact that a player was injured, so be it. If he uses the fact that an opposing coach is making claims, he is allowed to do that...

And I lean towards safety when in doubt.
umpinva

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:41 pm

bradrhod, with all due respect I disagree a bit with the analogy;

"Of course this is bit of a broadening of copyrights. Basically it says you may not be able to sell your Ford car as a Ford because you have installed wider tires."

Not the same. The ASA logo is there for one reason, to declare that the bat has passed and been certified under ASA requirement. Once the bat has been modified it no longer complies. Remove the ASA logo, fine. Still illegal but begs the second lawsuit about altering a product and marketing under the original manufacturers name, be it Easton or RT or whomever.

If you bought a new Ferrari and found out it had a Pinto motor... hey, it sez Ferrari on the outside... but overall, we are likely in violent agreement.

But in the big picture, the real question is why any parent would stoop to this level, teaching their kid to cheat. Personally, I think use of an altered bat needs a 1 year suspension for the player (minimum) and the team gets chucked from the tournament. I wonder what the obliging parent expects of their DD if they go to college and all of a sudden they bat like chopped liver? Sadly, there are slimballs everywhere, including parents. I am overjoyed to hear that ASA is going after those companies modifying bats. And, if a kid gets hurt based on the use of an illegal bat let the lawyers eat them alive. No sympathy for the cheater or the person who modified the bat.
fasterpitch92701

by MTR » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:46 pm

umpinva wrote:After I've inspected equipment that the teams display and asked the coaches during the plate conference if their players are legally and properly equipped,

Myth. Why do so many umpires think that actually means something or absolves them of any liability?
MTR

by umpinva » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:22 pm

MTR wrote:
umpinva wrote:After I've inspected equipment that the teams display and asked the coaches during the plate conference if their players are legally and properly equipped,

Myth. Why do so many umpires think that actually means something or absolves them of any liability?

How would the umpire be liable if the equipment check prior to the start of the game was legal upon inspection and the coaches verbally acknowledged their players were legally and properly equipped?
umpinva

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions