Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

The perfect coach

What's on your mind?

by spazmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Is there such thing as a perfect coach? If there is, IMO, this is what he/she would be like:

A lot of knowledge about the game of softball
Has interests outside the game of softball
A parent of an athlete but not necessarily one on the team (off to college on a scholarship)
Shows respect to his or her players and in exchange expects respect from his or her players and parents
Able to teach and challenge without yelling and cursing
Does not embarrass the team by challenging umpires and fighting with other coaches
Doesn't come to games and practices with food stains all over the front of his shirt
Has practice when he or she says they'll have practice
Is well respected in the softball community
Good looking wouldn't hurt either!

Can you think of anything else for my fantasy coach?? ;)
Last edited by spazmom on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spazmom

by tai2000 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:41 pm

I would add good communication skills...It is so hard as a parent to know what's going on when the coach does not communicate with the parents. My DD is 10, playing 12u. I cannot rely on her memory of things to have complete information...
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn't going to help. -Hank Aaron
tai2000

by Sam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:42 pm

spazmom wrote:Is there such thing as a perfect coach? If there is, IMO, this is what he/she would be like:

A parent of an athlete but not necessarily one on the team (off to college on a scholarship)
Shows respect to his players and in exchange expects respect from his players and parents
Does not embarrass the team by challenging umpires and fighting with other coaches
Doesn't come to games and practices with food stains all over the front of his shirt
Has practice when he says he'll have practice

Can you think on anything else for my fantasy coach?? ;)

Has a collection of travel ball hats that includes: Dynasty Gold, Norco Fillys, Invasion, SoCal Crunch, and the Riverside Rookies Gold.....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Sam, you are hilarious.....falling over laughing. That was great, you beat me to the punchline
hotwheels

by Coachmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Replace all the he's with she and you have it right!!
:D
“One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than fifty preaching it.”
Coachmom

by isnt she fancy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Is on a first name basis with a great number of college coaches. 8-)
isnt she fancy

by Sam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Sam wrote:
spazmom wrote:Is there such thing as a perfect coach? If there is, IMO, this is what he/she would be like:

Shows respect to his players and in exchange expects respect from his players and parents
Has practice when he says he'll have practice

Can you think on anything else for my fantasy coach?? ;)

Has a collection of travel ball hats that includes: Dynasty Gold, Norco Fillys, Invasion, SoCal Crunch, and the Riverside Rookies Gold.....

Did you miss the requirement about "good-looking"?

I look the way I do on purpose....I want my parents focused on their DDs' performance...not on my chiseled frame...
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 pm

My perfect coach is the one who,

1) Knows the game they are coaching or has the desire to learn (if they don't know, admit they dont and for heavens sake dont start a team to give your DD playing time!!)

2) Know how to positively motivate the players (that doesn't mean touchy feel good all the time, and it doesn't mean no discipline either)

3) Sets the standards high for his behavior and the teams (wins and loses with class)

4) Understands the difference between fair and equal playing time and can communicate this to parents. (I am sooooooooo glad I am not a coach)

I care less what they look like but its not horrible to look at an attractive coach while speaking to them but thats a perk not a requirement.
Kat

by Coachmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:24 pm

This is from a great article I found recently on coaching by Mike Duroe
USA Wrestling National Developmental Coach, USA Women's Freestyle National Coach

Great coaches incorporate many special skills. Whether you are coaching kids or Olympians, individual or team sports, I believe there are certain qualities that help make a coach successful. Keep in mind that the term success is measured not only in wins and losses, but also in a coach's ability to develop lasting relationships with their athletes. Helping athletes to develop life skills and confidence are as important as explaining any game plan or teaching a technical skill.
In talking with athletes that I have coached and interviewing athletes from different disciplines who live and train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, I confirmed my beliefs. Here are 10 very important attributes that successful coaches possess:

1. Honesty and Consistency - Athletes know when coaches are not being honest or consistent in the way they treat them. Honesty is always the best policy! Don't keep your athletes guessing about how you will handle certain situations. Be consistent!

2. Positive Reinforcement / Feedback and Enthusiasm - The days of chewing players out are long gone. Yelling and screaming for the effect is ineffective and can be counterproductive. Discipline is very important, but much better received when done in a positive way. Also, athletes can tell the difference between the "rah rah" coach and the one who is truly enthusiastic about the sport and about coaching them. Be creative and keep things lively in practice.

3. Confidence - Almost every athlete I spoke with said they wanted their coaches to instill confidence in them. Players can sense when you believe in their abilities and in them as individuals. Strive to gain the confidence of your athletes by displaying confidence in them. Constantly remind them of their strengths to reinforce that sense of belief.

4. Knowledge of Technical Skills - Coaches need to know their business. Be a student of the game. Take advantage of clinics and other learning opportunities so you will be well prepared. No coach can know everything, so you should continue to explore new techniques and strategies. Acquiring new knowledge is a dynamic process. Never stop learning from other coaches and athletes.

5. Understanding of Training / Preparation Principles - Just as important as knowing mechanics and skills, successful coaches need to know how to get their athletes ready for competition. Different things work for different people. Having a good understanding of the basic principles of physiology, nutrition and psychology are all important.

6. Ability to Asses Individual Needs - Know your athletes!!! More than every before, coaches need to treat athletes as individuals. Interview them and find out what they think will help them be their best. Monitor their progress so you know when to push them and when to back off. Knowing how to peak your team is one of the most important aspects of coaching.

7. Strong Work Ethic - Just like coaches want their athletes to be good workers, they expect the same from their coaches. Coaching is a difficult and trying job. It requires long and erractic hours, personal sacrifice and commitment to excellence. People can tell when you are working as hard or harder than they are. Lead by example!

8. Tough but Understanding - Athletes expect their coaches to be tough on them when the situation calls for it. World and Olympic Champion Tom Brands said, "I want my coach to make me follow through on things even when it's hard. I expect them to know what's good for me." But many athlete's report that being "tough" can lose its effectiveness when used unneccessarily or too often. Athletes will perform for a coach that can be tough on them, but at the same time understand all of the underlining circumstances.

9. Trust - Trust is something that is crucial for any organization or relationship to function effectively. You must communicate your trust in each individual in order to successfully mold your team. Your athletes will trust you as long as you work at gaining that trust. Never take it for granted.

10. Communication - This is the tread that keeps everything together. Talk to your athletes, get to know them and put yourself in their place. All of these strategies will help you better understand what makes your players tick. Remember that one of the most important communication skills of all is listening.
“One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than fifty preaching it.”
Coachmom

by spazmom » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Thnx Coachmom! That was an awesome article. I hope all the coaches reading this thread read it. My dd's coach is a yeller and motivates by fear. I hate it, my dd hates it but we stay because this coach is supposed to be the best in san diego and there doesn't seem to be any where else to go to get quality teammates and knowledgeable coaching. I will say that this coach is consistent. He yells at everyone!
spazmom

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions