Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

2012 Softball Olmypic dreams killed by Easton

What's on your mind?

by Cookie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:39 pm

I have heard a few stories possibly rumors about why the 2012 softball Olympics have been canceled. I want to see if anyone out there knows the real story behind this. Besides the US dominating the game and other countries hate seeing that is it true that Easton had a chance to vote on this issue and their vote would have put softball in the 2012 Olympics and they did not vote.
I'm not driving....
Cookie

by mozzy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Maybe it's because the Olympians don't use Easton's bats or gloves.
Let's see if I remember:
Lisa & Crystl---Schutt
Natasha & Jennie--Mizuno
Lovie, Taria, and Stacy--Worth
Kelly---Miken
Jessica, Laura---Louisville Slugger
Galindo, Duran--?
Hollowell, Abbott--? (yes, I know, only gloves)
Osterman--Wilson
Jenny T---?

There was a time when Cat had an Easton glove, and I'm sure that any of these gals who went to UCLA probably used some Easton stuff, but $product endosements have a way of changing your preferences.$
mozzy

by daylightkate » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:28 pm

I wonder how true that rumour would be? You would think that one of the leaders in equipment in this game would have voted. After all, it is in their best interest to do so. Olympic Athletes aspire our youth and help build dreams. This could be another urban legend.

But if it's true, we can take dem down der tu dat darn, durn pole barn en giv'm a whoopin!

:roll:
daylightkate

by xxxYerOut » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Not "they", "he"...

James Easton tried to take the moral high-road and abstended his vote citing it as a conflict of interest. He had to believe that softball was safe, or he would not have done this.

http://www.spysoftball.com/should_easto ... m_ioc1.htm

In a secret poll, Jim Easton was told there were enough votes. Shocker - Frenchie lied and IMO, probably pursuaded others into changing their vote.
xxxYerOut

by MTR » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Cookie wrote:I have heard a few stories possibly rumors about why the 2012 softball Olympics have been canceled. I want to see if anyone out there knows the real story behind this. Besides the US dominating the game and other countries hate seeing that is it true that Easton had a chance to vote on this issue and their vote would have put softball in the 2012 Olympics and they did not vote.

Wasn't there enough of this before?

Source - ISF Board Member, USOC Member

Easton believed it was a conflict of interest even though the IOC supposedly has a by-law/code/whatever that states the chair will inform a member when a possible conflict exists. Supposedly, there was no notice of conflict from the chair and Easton abstained anyway.

Personal belief - This individual's business sold equipment which was utilized in many different Olympic sports. Knowing that it was inevitable that he would be a member expected to vote on issues involving all sports, Mr. Easton should have either declined this position or made his feelings known prior to being seated.

AFAIC, the fact that he accepted this position of responsibility should be a clear indication of intent to provide full and complete representation of his country. He failed.

However, it is water under the bridge and isn't going to change anytime soon. Get over it and look forward to the possible reentry for the 2016 games.
MTR

by Travel Ball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:01 pm

Don't misunderstand me, the failure of the IOC to keep softball as an Olympic sport consitutes one of the great tragedies of modern women's sports. That said, let's not be hypocrites here. Two weeks of softball every four years will not "make" fastpitch softball.

It is the failure of the Amatuer Softball Association, big time universities, high school athletic departments, sports broadcasting networks, and local community fan support that has kept softball from catapulting into the national spot light.

When was the last time you went to watch in person a professional game, local college game, or a high school game where your daughter wasn't playing? Do softball players in your community turn out for high school softball like they do for high school basketball? Do you religiously tune in when a college games is broadcast? Do you patronize only Dish Network or DirectTV because they carry ESPN U where regular season college games are broadcast, where as Time Warner and other cable networks do not?

ASA shares a huge part of the blame for its failure to promote fastpitch on a national and international stage. I for one would gladly agree to an extra $5 fee for each of the 8 million girls playing ASA softball in this country. The additional $40 million in revenue would allow ASA to buy network time to broadcast the national championship games, states, (ie., Little League World Series), generating more viewership, more interest, eventually more sponsorships, etc.

The IOC, ESPN, NBC, CBS, etc. will carry women's softball when the world demands it. Until then, let's stop begging for Olympic scraps and promote the sport at home. Just one opinion.
Travel Ball

by Bucket Mom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:29 pm

From what I understand, it was a tied vote of 52 to 52 with only one member abstaining and guess who that was? James Easton. This has bugged me since it happened. He claims the conflict of interest, but as mentioned before, Easton is supplying many other Olympic sports and it does not seem to be a conflict of interest.

Visit this sight to help support the campaign to bring softball back.

http://www.internationalsoftball.com/ba ... index.html
Bucket Mom

by xxxYerOut » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Bucket Mom wrote:From what I understand, it was a tied vote of 52 to 52 with only one member abstaining and guess who that was? James Easton. This has bugged me since it happened. He claims the conflict of interest, but as mentioned before, Easton is supplying many other Olympic sports and it does not seem to be a conflict of interest.

Visit this sight to help support the campaign to bring softball back.

http://www.internationalsoftball.com/ba ... index.html

These "other" sports were not on a ballot to be removed from the olympics. Not sure I understand where you are going with this.. Do you mean sports like:

Hockey - not dominated by US
Baseball - argued not dominated by US.
Badmitton - I hope we suck at that..
xxxYerOut

by Demonboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Cookie wrote:I have heard a few stories possibly rumors about why the 2012 softball Olympics have been canceled. I want to see if anyone out there knows the real story behind this. Besides the US dominating the game and other countries hate seeing that is it true that Easton had a chance to vote on this issue and their vote would have put softball in the 2012 Olympics and they did not vote.

Yes.

That's spelled J-I-M E-A-S-T-O-N :)
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Demonboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:23 pm

Spazsdad wrote:True Jim could have cast a vote and maybe saved the sport but bottom line the Americans dominate and we are not liked by other countries on the Olympic comitee.
The domination argument doesn't hold water. I don't recall talk of swimming being banned when the East Germans won everything. Nor did anyone want to get rid of gymnastics when Russia owned the sport. There were also approx. 40 others who voted against softball but no one is going after them.
Easton has been a great contributor to the sport of softball and should not take the blame for its demise in the Olympics.
JMHO

Correction. There is no maybe. If Easton would not have abstained, softball would have been in. Regardless of what he has done for the sport in the past, this IS his legacy in softball now, fair or not.
Sorry, he is going to have to own this one.

Nice going Jimbo.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions