Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Scoring Question

What's on your mind?

by Nzane » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:11 pm

OK, I know a sacrifice does NOT count as an at bat or go against your batting average. But, does it go as a plate appearance, thus lowering your on base pct%? A little help. Thanks..............
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Nzane » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks Spaz. We keep our stats on our website, and it formulates avg, ob%. I always thought sac did not count against ob%. Thus, I found it odd ob% was lower than some batting avg's. But, that explains it. That was something I honestly did not know, lol!!
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by ssarge » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Spazsdad:

You do make an interesting observation.

The most common explanation I have seen for excluding the sacfly from the OB% calculation is that it generally is the result of trying for a hit. As opposed to the deliberate planned sacrifice inherent to most bunts. Bear in mind too, that a scorer does not HAVE to credit a sacrifice on a bunt if he believes the hitter was attempting to reach 1B safely (in other words, bunt for a hit). THAT would exclude a sac bunt from OB% AND batting average calculations. I have seldom seen this scoring decision, but it is possible.

Best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by papabearo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 am

I have another scoring question. I know that on a dropped third strike in which the batter reaches 1st safely there is no out recorded. But does the pitcher get a strikeout or is it nullified by the error.
papabearo

by DonnieS » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:28 am

>> have another scoring question. I know that on a dropped third strike in which the batter reaches 1st safely there is no out recorded. But does the pitcher get a strikeout or is it nullified by the error. <<

papabear, the pitcher gets credit for the strikeout - the way we do it in the book is we mark the K but no out number beside it.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by papabearo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the help. I thought this was the case. The father that keeps score said he didn't think it's a strikeout because no out is recorded. This probably cost my DD a few K's this Fall. I know it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. But I think it matters to her and me that she does get rewarded when this happens. Thanks again!
papabearo

by Rotatorcuff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Spaz,
If it's a wild pitch, how could it be a strike? Unless, of course the batter swung at a bad pitch. Ok, I answered my own question. Nevermind.

Rotatorcuff
Rotatorcuff

by rrtiger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:37 am

Spazsdad wrote:As for scoring on a dropped 3rd:
Pitching: Strikeouts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. The pitcher who throws the third strike is credited with the strikeout,
2. The pitcher is credited with a strikeout even if the batter reaches first on the
dropped third strike rule. Score KPB or KWP, whichever the case.

Doesn't an error have to be charged to the catcher on a dropped/pass ball or on the pitcher for a wild pitch to account for the runner making it safely to first?
rrtiger

by softballtaxi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:20 pm

technically - the catcher gets the credit for the out on a K, pitcher just gets the K credit.
score: K/put out 2 (swinging or looking strike out)

So the K is just pitching stats not an out. Check any college/NPF stats and you see the put outs the catchers rack up!
softballtaxi

by ssarge » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:25 pm

technically - the catcher gets the credit for the out on a K, pitcher just gets the K credit.
score: K/put out 2 (swinging or looking strike out)

So the K is just pitching stats not an out. Check any college/NPF stats and you see the put outs the catchers rack up!

Which is why a pitcher can have 4 or more K's in an inning.

But the catcher only gets the PO if the out is recorded by her. If the out is recorded at 1B - because of a dropped 3rd, whoever covered 1B is credited with the PO.

I don't remember if F2 gets an assist on that or not (presume so). Anyone know for sure?

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions