Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

10U National team- opinons wanted

What's on your mind?

by Luv_SC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 am

Last year at nationals for 10u it seemed as a lot of states has assembled Nationals Team. Meaning that they took the best 13-15 players and combined teams vs taking a team that had played together during the season. I think this would be the best way for California to be sucessful in that age group. This year especially the 10u division seems watered down. There is not the talent of last year and definitely not of the 95's. Does anyone else think sending two teams vs seven is a better option? I personally think the 10u division is weak and there are way too many teams. I have only been involved with travel for three years but some of the teams out there wouldnt give a decent all star team a run and definitely should not be playing at the travel level. I have yet to see a strong team and honestly do not think that one will emerge there are probabley 4 good quality teams but none that can compete at a national level and none that I see becoming strong enough in the upcoming months. Combine two or three of those and then being able to compete at nationals would be a whole different story. Just wondering what others thought of this idea?
Luv_SC

by Sam » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Luv_SC wrote:Last year at nationals for 10u it seemed as a lot of states has assembled Nationals Team. Meaning that they took the best 13-15 players and combined teams vs taking a team that had played together during the season. I think this would be the best way for California to be sucessful in that age group. This year especially the 10u division seems watered down. There is not the talent of last year and definitely not of the 95's. Does anyone else think sending two teams vs seven is a better option? I personally think the 10u division is weak and there are way too many teams. I have only been involved with travel for three years but some of the teams out there wouldnt give a decent all star team a run and definitely should not be playing at the travel level. I have yet to see a strong team and honestly do not think that one will emerge there are probabley 4 good quality teams but none that can compete at a national level and none that I see becoming strong enough in the upcoming months. Combine two or three of those and then being able to compete at nationals would be a whole different story. Just wondering what others thought of this idea?

They should still be playing rec ball anyway. That would solve the problem at Nationals...all-star teams vs. all-star teams. It would also preclude many overuse injuries these kids will suffer later in their playing careers.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bucket Mom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:08 pm

I would say that I have to agree with the fact that the 10s are rather weak compared to past years. I think there are a lot of OK teams and some pretty good teams, but none that are great all around. I would like to see a couple good teams combine their best players to make a power house team, but I honestly do not see that happening with all the egos in softball. What part of California are you from?
Bucket Mom

by Luv_SC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:46 pm

You are being too nice. I luckily spend most of my time watching 12's but there are 4 good teams, a few so so teams and many not so good teams. I am from Southern California and I agree with the ego part. It might also be hard for the girls on the team that dont make the cut for the nationals team. In my opinion there are a few quality teams with one top pitcher, I know personally three great pitchers on a team at nationals would help. Not one 10u team has more than one (very good ) pitcher, including Angels, Franchise, Team Smith Blue and Batbusters. Honestly no disrespect to other 10u teams but those are the top 4 teams and it would be much better to combine them make two or three great teams and send them. I am not sure if its the year or the new attitude that anyone should be able and can play travel ball. I have seen teams with 7 girls and borrowing to even play and this should not be what travel ball is about. Some parents complain about politics and there kid not making all stars so then what do they do start a travel team, which better way to have your kid play where they want. Most of us know if a kid deserves to be on all stars they will be. This only hurts the teams and the girls that deserve to be in the travel world. I have heard of some 99's in travel and I am sure some of them deserve to be there and are even better than some of the 97's that are currently playing on a travel team. I did attend nationals last year and there are maybe 3 coaches in 10u that were there and returned to 10u, I know of maybe two others who have been in 10's before. Most of the other coaches in this division have no idea what Nationals are like. I think since the division is so weak, states can leave us with three teams that we send to nationals that are not a true representation of what California travel ball is.
Luv_SC

by justadad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 pm

r u kidding?

things must be tough for you to think that it is important to combine teams to win a 10U national

what would be the value in that - big deal!

the pride in winning/competing is much greater when you do it with your team, not some manufactured team

if you are typical, my respect for CA softball is greatly diminished
justadad

by Luv_SC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey it was the norm at nationals last year for 10u I talked to numerous coaches from other states whom had combined several teams to make one elite team as they were named and the teams and level played there was great. Just a suggestion and thought and wonder if it would help California send a great few teams to nationals. I know after last year many commented on how level softball has become and Calfornia thought they were ahead in the softball world but struggled to compete against some of these teams from other states.
Luv_SC

by thatguy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm surprised to see someone actually concerned about CA's representation at Nationals albeit 10U. We have not had the fortune of attending ASA Nationals, but from what I hear SoCal mostly dominates. What you describe may be a sign of what's to come, but historically SoCal has been pretty successful at Nationals in 10U with the exception of 2007. In 2006, 3 of the top 4 and champions in 05, 04, 03.....I think you know where I'm going. This CA "National" team idea is interesting, but not sure I would introduce this to a bunch of 9 and 10 year old girls. They will have plenty of years to enjoy this cutthroat environment. Just my opinion.
thatguy

by xxxYerOut » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Could it be, that is what the other states are having to do to compete with the CA teams?
xxxYerOut

by artomatic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 pm

jeez people...
what is wrong with the rest of the country catching up? it creates better competition, and it's better for everyone...
like sam says, nothing wrong with staying in rec and all stars through 10's, at least in socal.
grow a team, get better together, learn to trust your teammates, have fun...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Maybe the reason the SoCal 10U A's are so weak is that parents are seeing the overuse injuries in the older divisions and are keeping their kids in rec ball until they are older 12's....the age when they should start looking at TB. I'm betting the SoCal representative at B Western Nationals will be tough to beat....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions