Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Travel Ball vs School Ball

What's on your mind?

by Ball Coach » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Travel ball is competitive with a fairly even level of talent on any given team. Very challenging and very rewarding. Part of the difference is that coaches can pick their team.

High School ball is quite different with most schools having one, or a couple of, travel ball players on a team and a wide range of talent. The schools that have good travel ball pitchers win 90% of the time. Coaches have less flexibility of picking the team because they are limited to attendees at the school.

I had 13 years of travel ball and then 5 years of HS ball. No comparision. I'll take travel ball every time.
Ball Coach

by dejavu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:20 am

Little Sally's mom is the lunch lady so she can play first and Bethany's mom used to teach math at the school 5 years ago so she can pitch... It's a JOKE :roll:
dejavu

by NuNu's Dad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 am

Kat wrote:
holly#1 wrote:It's unfair to even try and compare the two. Most H.S.s only have about 50% of their players that even play travel ball.

I cant tell you how we compare to say the top teams in CA but we are lucky to have a pretty good high school league. On our team we have the following players that will make the Varsity team. Not sure about who will be let go of the upper classman as we do have upper classman who have limited skill and who will make the team from the younger players.

2 - play gold (catcher, pitcher and the other middle infielder)
2 - play 18A (outfield and the other middle infielder)
2 - quit playing during 18A (first base and outfield)
3 - play 16A (middle infield, 3rd, the other catcher, 3rd base and the other middle infielder, pitcher)
1 - plays 16A/18 gold (pitcher, 1st base)

We have 2 catchers, and 3 pitchers.

I don't know about the most Top SoCal teams, but to be competitive in CIF-SS Div I, II and III, you better be mostly travel ball girls. Our HS team is mostly travel ball girls as are the other good teams in our league. Our High School has three teams Varsity, JV and Frosh/Soph.

The Varsity has 16 girls and only 4 don't currently play travel. Eleven girls play Gold and the only sophomore plays 16A. There are no Freshman on the varsity. All but one of the girls are out of the local rec ball league.

The JV has two travel ball pitchers, and about 6 players who play 16A.

The frosh/soph team has a travel ball pitcher and at least a half dozen who play 16A or 14A.

The other HS in town won CIF-SS Div I three years ago with a ton of talent including 3 girls who pitch D1 now. They were pretty much all travel ball players.
NuNu's Dad

by YplayAwhenucanplayB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I'd refer High School ball to REC PLUS.....in most cases. Most of the teams have a handful of select players....some really good.......but the others just came right off the rec diamond. Very sloppy play.....again........make high school ball fun.......cause its not gonna be like travel ball........plus most of the high school coaches.....(There are some good ones) coach like its REC ball too. Some coaches don't even know what a bunt is, hit n run, steal....etc. :roll: :roll:
YplayAwhenucanplayB

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions