Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

14u rankings and Colorado power pool

What's on your mind?

by Jstamps » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 am

Does anyone know if there is a 14u ranking? If not, how is it decided who will go to the power pool in Colorado?

Thanks
Jstamps

by jtat32 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:56 pm

There are people on this board who are closer to how this process works than I ever was, so if they chime in I will certainly defer to their experience, but from my understanding:

- Any kind of official ranking is impossible until after Nationals.

- Input into who gets into which Colorado tournament, gets into power pools, or anywhere else where there is a selection process generally comes from influential coaches/organizations. Established organizations generally have an easier time getting recognition.

- Up and coming teams from less established organizations can still get recognition if they've done enough to get noticed by those who are providing the input, or by impressing the TDs with their resume. That resume needs to include a strong record against power pool type teams that the TD is familiar with. If you're trying to go this route, then you need to start making your case a year or so in advance. Teams that are trying to establish a reputation need to be patient.

Again, I'm certainly no expert, but I always thought the TDs at these kinds of events did a pretty good job with their selection.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Jstamps » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated!
Jstamps

by tbjd33 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Jstamps wrote:Thank you for your input, it is appreciated!

Try Flosoftball.com.

Most of rankings will be based off last years finish and pretty accurate.
tbjd33

by abomb36 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:45 am

We just found out our girls did not make it in the power pool this year. The reason? They based it off of last year's 14U team from our organization and how they fared at the Sparkler.. at least they were nice enough to tell us their flawed analysis..

Of course it is a different team with much different (and better) credentials, but this might give you some insight to the "process."

We'll take the hit and lose the $1500 by not playing if we aren't in the Super Pool. No sense in spending good money traveling to play up in Ft. Collins most of the week.
abomb36

by onlooker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:24 am

abomb36 wrote:We'll take the hit and lose the $1500 by not playing if we aren't in the Super Pool. No sense in spending good money traveling to play up in Ft. Collins most of the week.

WOW, probably one of the smartest moves I have seen a coach broadcast. Don't know who you are or where you are from, but your parents and their families pocketbooks thank you!!! i like it!
onlooker

by tbjd33 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:50 pm

abomb36 wrote:We just found out our girls did not make it in the power pool this year. The reason? They based it off of last year's 14U team from our organization and how they fared at the Sparkler.. at least they were nice enough to tell us their flawed analysis..

Of course it is a different team with much different (and better) credentials, but this might give you some insight to the "process."

We'll take the hit and lose the $1500 by not playing if we aren't in the Super Pool. No sense in spending good money traveling to play up in Ft. Collins most of the week.

In my experiences, teams don't get drastically better year to year. Picking up new players doesn't mean you are better. Only a handful of players can make your team significantly better then previous year.

Practicing more means squat. Training more means squat. More lessons means squat to the tournament people. All of the teams are working too!

Feel bad for your girls. Prove your better in summer and make it to next years power pool. Also power pools aren't the only thing goin on in CO or the best chance to get seen. Tons more opportunity!
tbjd33

by caugustine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:26 am

abomb36 wrote:We just found out our girls did not make it in the power pool this year. The reason? They based it off of last year's 14U team from our organization and how they fared at the Sparkler.. at least they were nice enough to tell us their flawed analysis..

Power pools are hard to get 100% correct but the Sparkler Jr. does a pretty good job. Last year there were a couple of teams that probably should not have been there but the vast majority were truly the best teams in the tournament. (you are probably asking what evidence do you have of that, cross reference power pool results with PGF and you will see) As far as not going at all that is obviously up to you and your team but if it is a first year team I would go and make a statement finish high in the Gold bracket and use that to lobby for next year...
caugustine

by Trojan 10 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:41 am

How would you know if you made the Power Pool yet? Triple Crown has not posted. Our organization just contacted the people running the Tournament ,and the teams for the Power Pool have not been fianlized yet? If you know you did not make it can you let us know which CA teams did?

Thanks.
Trojan 10

by tbjd33 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 am

Trojan 10 wrote:How would you know if you made the Power Pool yet? Triple Crown has not posted. Our organization just contacted the people running the Tournament ,and the teams for the Power Pool have not been fianlized yet? If you know you did not make it can you let us know which CA teams did?

Thanks.

Sadly if you are that much in the dark safe to say your team isn't in Power Pools. If your not having conversations with Triple Crown then your not being considered.

It's not, oh wow we are in Power Pools when brackets come out...
tbjd33

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions