Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Scoring Brain Farts

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 pm

1st ; A pitcher gives up a triple and the run scores on her error when she boots the cut off ... ER or no ? (not my pitcher, I have the first basegal take the cut and the pitcher backing up the lead runner)

2nd ; Batter runner bunts the ball fair and steps on it / runs into it ... I seem top remember the catcher gets the put out , but too tired to think :oops:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jtat32 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:38 pm

I'll take a shot, but I'm no expert.

#1 Depends on what happens after. If the run would have scored anyway (next batter gets a single, for example), then it is earned. Or, if there were two outs and the batter makes an out, it is unearned.

#2 Whomever is closest to the ball when the batter steps on it get's the put out.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 am

#1 As jtat posted, you need to determine if she would have scored anyway without the error (ER) or not (unearned). Unless the pitcher's error prevented them from getting the runner out, you need to consider whether she would have scored on a subsequent play while giving the pitcher the benefit of any doubt.

#2. Scoring rules for outs not recorded by a fielder are basically split by case between the catcher and the nearest fielder. NCAA scoring rules appear to award this one to the catcher, however their combo of "batter" and "batted fair ball" seems problematic.

14.19.2.4 A batter is out for being touched by her own fair batted ball while one or both feet are completely out of the batter’s box or for stepping on home plate.

The closest case for nearest fielder isn't applicable since base runner only covers those already on base at the time of the pitch.

14.19.3.3 A base runner is out for being hit by a fair batted ball.

IMO, score it however makes sense to you.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 am

Thanks guys ...
In case number 1 the gal who hit the triple would not have scored on a subsequent play ... Interesting that a pitcher making the error that causes the base runner to score is only charged with an error and not an earned run. Suppose we have that runner on third and the pitcher throws a wild pitch ? ER or no ? I would guess then that since it was in the act of pitching than that would be an ER?
In case number two, I was thinking correctly that the catcher being the closest fielder should get the put out.
* I have a student assistant keeping the book and when I get home it is often a challenge to recreate the game, drink a beer and get the scores into the paper before deadline.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Interesting that a pitcher making the error that causes the base runner to score is only charged with an error and not an earned run. Suppose we have that runner on third and the pitcher throws a wild pitch ? ER or no ? I would guess then that since it was in the act of pitching than that would be an ER?

You guessed right - WP would be ER. PB is treated like an error, so would have to see if runner would have scored anyway or not.

I agree earned runs is focused on the actual pitching rather than the pitcher overall (i.e. including her fielding).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions