Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What got your kid into fastpitch?

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:18 pm

The way my girls got into the game that we all love was all fun. My nieces were playing softball, my brother asked me to bring my girls over and watch a game, this was 10u league ball. My two were playing on a flag football league and had just finished a game, so we headed over. As we walked up, there was a base runner at 2nd , big blonde girl . Batter hit to right, this kid took off from 2nd and never slowed down , came around 3rd and ran shoulder down into the catcher, rolled her over, they both jumped up, laughing, and yelling. The blue walked over - and looked at the blonde kid, and called her out and then ejected her. My girls turned to me and said, "Dad, that was awesome, find out how to get us into this, we want to play this." Never looked back. DD1, is 25 , teaching and coaching, DD2 , is 22, just finished a few weeks ago, will graduate in December.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tnkrbell13 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:12 pm

This post needs to include pictures...
tnkrbell13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:14 pm

tnkrbell13 wrote:This post needs to include pictures...

Ok manana. Watching the game tonight.
Edited to add: Forgot, but on the Heybucket front page, picture #2 is DD1 and picture #3 is DD2.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:44 am

Started in local rec league for 10u. Said she wanted to be on all-star town travel team and she was hooked. 2 years later "daddy find me a real travel team" and the rest is history...
jonriv

by artomatic » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am

Spring 2001, my 2 daughters were 10 and 5 years old:
A buddy who I played slowpitch with at the time had a couple of daughters that played fastpitch, and he was on the board of the local girls fast pitch rec league.
He kept telling me to sign my 10 year old up for spring ball, and on the last day of sign ups, he called me to remind me.
My wife had just completed 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation for Hodgkin Disease, and we were trying to get back in the flow of things, so we thought it would be good to get everyone active.

As my 10 year old and I we were getting in the car to drive down to the park to sign her up, my 5 year old came running out to the car with tears in her eyes, yelling "Hey what about me?"
I told her I thought she was too young, but we could ask when we got there. So she got in with us, we signed both girls up, and I was talked into helping with the youngest's t-ball team.

My oldest is now 25, played through high school, but it was never a big passion for her.
She has a great job as a legal assistant.
My youngest is 21, is still playing in college, and just finished her junior year.
I coached my youngest through 1st year 16's, then retired to the outfield grass in a lawn chair.

The game has given us lifelong memories and friendships, we've seen places we never would have seen otherwise, and for our youngest, she is on track to graduate with a degree next year at a wonderful university, because of the opportunity that softball gave her.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:47 am

Wouldnt it be fun to have an "Old Farts" get together one of these upcoming seasons? Me, BlindSquirrel, spazsdad, Gonein2.4 ran into each other , guess its been 6 years now at Mary Nutter. We bs'ed for a while, but we all had kids on the fields and were rushing around to take pictures, etc. Now we could do it and go find some game we could all watch with out getting overly excited (other folks kids now). There would be a pretty decent group of folk.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:22 pm

DD wanted to do whatever her 3-years-older brother was doing and he played soccer and baseball. I got lucky the first year of t-ball because she played baseball in the same league as him. She had a good season, however switched to FP after that to be with her friends.

She went travel after 1st year 12U and is now playing in college. Only 2 years left in this journey...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Slow pitch was a thing here back then...my wife played in 2 USSSA World Series...in the early 80s...

There was a local REC league that we had both our girls play in...For my oldest...If you google worst softball player ever, I bet her picture comes up...But my youngest took it very well...We then dabbled in Tournament SP with USSSA as 8Us....winning USSSA World Series as 8U and 10Us...but she wanted to play college fast pitch...So we sought out a travel fast pitch team...
That was in 2010 I believe...

I think shes done pretty dang well so far
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Slow pitch was a thing here back then...my wife played in 2 USSSA World Series...in the early 80s...

There was a local REC league that we had both our girls play in...For my oldest...If you google worst softball player ever, I bet her picture comes up...But my youngest took it very well...We then dabbled in Tournament SP with USSSA as 8Us....winning USSSA World Series as 8U and 10Us...but she wanted to play college fast pitch...So we sought out a travel fast pitch team...
That was in 2010 I believe...

I think shes done pretty dang well so far

Came through when she needed to.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tnkrbell13 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Mine started when a neighbor dragged us to late registration of the local rec league...I couldn't fathom paying $100 for the whole season for my kid to play.
Little did I know what was to come!
Untitled.jpg
6u
Untitled.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
tnkrbell13
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions