Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Strike Zone TV thingy...

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 am

The strike zone box was used for what I think was the first time at the WCWS...
Based on that, it affirmed my suspicions that some umps have a very 'interpretive' strike zone...a softball doesn't break 10 inches outside across the plate...Saw balls a foot high and wide (and inside) that were called strikes...
Seem that some of the umps tightened their calls up AFTER they saw the reviews...

The plate is 17inches wide, 3/4in black on each side...from the knee to the elbow...Its a FINITE zone...

Whats y'alls opinion on the box?
I like it but it PO'ed me with the really bad ump calls...more than usual, and was usually dependent on which team threw it.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:54 am

I agree that it made the umpires look bad, and these guys and gals are supposed to represent the best, right? But I have to wonder if the technology wasn't partial at fault. Was the camera angle (offset to the right as we looked at it) to blame. I actually hope so, because if these umpires are "the best" just imagine how bad the "not best" must be.

I'm surprised that it wasn't taken down after the first night. And I wonder how many calls the head of officials or whoever is in charge of college softball umpires received.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:11 am

It was a temporary installation, so I also question whether it was set up correctly and/or needed to be adjusted periodically.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 am

I too wonder about its true accuracy but...
Seeing some of it within 20 feet...
I don't question some of the umps issues...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:46 am

Rather than only showing it to the home audience, rather see if broadcast on the field scoreboard, so the blues can see it :lol:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:45 pm

There is nothing wrong with the ESPN K-zone, it is accurate just like it is in baseball. Softball has a problem with blues making up strike zones. Even with this tool, we have clowns on this website defending the blues. On top of that, this world series had the most blown calls on the bases in recent memory. If softball wants to advance the sport, they first have to remedy the umpire issue. I do find it interesting that the zone got more accurate towards the last games of the world series, no doubt the negative viewer feedback had some impact, proof that they can improve. People, stop making excuses for meritocracy, our girls deserve better.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:32 am

Looked more like an ESPN error. They continuously marked the location at the catchers glove not where is passed through the zone. Watch an MLB game and you'll see they will mark the location in reverse.

Not saying the umps weren't the greatest just saw more technical issues than bad calls. Looks to me ESPN had a rookie media crew at the WCWS, maybe next year they can pull well seasoned crew.

Oh yea... Paige Parkers ball absolutely breaks that much!
tbjd33

by ontheblack » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:47 am

I absolutely hate that thing. As long as Blue is consistent for both sides, their zone IS the strike zone. Come up with a technology that works from the hitter and ump's perspective and then we may have something.

Ever see Greg Maddux pitch? He made a living off the plate. The more he hit his target, the more that pitch out of the zone was called a strike.

Softball is no different. My kid and many others (Sammy Cordova, anyone?) have been the softball equivalent of Maddux relying on great movement and pinpoint control. Sometimes they get squeezed, sometimes they succeed in increasing the zone. Thats part of the game. The best pitchers and best hitters make those adjustments.

Case in point, Tony Gwynn faced Maddux 107 times and hit 415. Thats 39 hits and ZERO strikeouts. Gwynn made the adjustment. I watched some great hitters this WCWS do the same. It was awesome. So lets not f*ck the game up by making the Blues slaves to a flawed technology. The human elements of the game are what make it so great.
ontheblack

by Pale Rider » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Actually the strike zone is a finite measurement...The interpretative stuff, calling balls outside the river and across the eyes strikes is a problem...As is replant, crow hop and lane violations...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:30 pm

ontheblack wrote:I absolutely hate that thing. As long as Blue is consistent for both sides, their zone IS the strike zone. Come up with a technology that works from the hitter and ump's perspective and then we may have something.

Ever see Greg Maddux pitch? He made a living off the plate. The more he hit his target, the more that pitch out of the zone was called a strike.

Softball is no different. My kid and many others (Sammy Cordova, anyone?) have been the softball equivalent of Maddux relying on great movement and pinpoint control. Sometimes they get squeezed, sometimes they succeed in increasing the zone. Thats part of the game. The best pitchers and best hitters make those adjustments.

Case in point, Tony Gwynn faced Maddux 107 times and hit 415. Thats 39 hits and ZERO strikeouts. Gwynn made the adjustment. I watched some great hitters this WCWS do the same. It was awesome. So lets not f*ck the game up by making the Blues slaves to a flawed technology. The human elements of the game are what make it so great.

Finally...I'm glad to see someone having a level head about this. Overall, I thought the umps did a pretty good job this year.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions