Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Jugs Machine: upgrade Junior to 70mph

What's on your mind?

by bucketreader » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am

I have a Jugs Junior Softball pitching machine (max=60mph) and I would like to convert or upgrade to 70mph (like the Super Jugs). Does anyone know if there is there a component/part that can be changed out to make the Junior go the speed of the Super?
I thought about changing out the control panel or motor, but was concerned that if I only did one or the other I might blow out the control panel and/or the motor. And if I changed out both units it might cost as much as selling my Junior & purchasing a Super. Any insight or experiences would be helpful.
I contacted Jugs & they said it can't be done & to just move the machine closer. That's not what I want.
bucketreader

by IDigress » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Put a larger diameter "tire" on it, modify the chute and throw away the warrantee. That ought to be simple enough! :o
IDigress

by HEADCASE » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:02 pm

If you do end up upgrading at want to sell the one you got, send me a PM.
HEADCASE

by upurbox » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:32 pm

HEADCASE wrote:If you do end up upgrading at want to sell the one you got, send me a PM.

Then PM me and I'll give you $5 more than he is offering you. :mrgreen:
PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN STAIRS...
upurbox

by King Slade K Adkins » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 am

If you tweak it, please post what you did. :mrgreen:
King Slade K Adkins

by dittoz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:26 am

Lightweight...

Just plug it into a 220v outlet. It'll do waaaaaaaaaay more than 70! :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by coachmatt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:43 am

Lightweight...

Just plug it into a 220v outlet. It'll do waaaaaaaaaay more than 70!

you'll probably get a little movement on your balls though ;)
coachmatt

by jefe » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am

cant do it without a motor change. rpms baby, not mph.
jefe

by dittoz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:22 pm

you'll probably get a little movement on your balls though

they move just fine, thank you

Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by Jamada » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Hey bucketreader,

I am just like you. I also want to get more out of my machines. Just like we expect more out of our athletes, I am constantly trying to push my equipment to go above and beyond its expectations. Also, just like you, I didn’t get any assistance from the manufacturer with any “creative modifications” questions.

I’ve attempted to convert/upgrade many pitching machines. My first one was the jugs lite flight. Like you, I asked myself the question, “Why can’t this machine do more than what the manufacturer intended? Why can’t this lite flite machine throw regular softballs? Well it does now. After a few modifications, we have a lite flite machine that simulates a semi-accurate, under hand toss pitch, with regular 12” balls.

Getting back to your Jugs Jr. I have successfully modified several of these to do various things, depending on how the modification turns out. I have one that I switched out the control panel with a Super Jugs panel, but it burned up the motor and now it doesn’t turn. We now use that as a tire hitting station. It’s the perfect height, and the white tires don’t mark up the bats. After modifying another Jugs Jr., I had the perfect machine to do pop up drills to the catcher.

After several other attempts, the one that seems to work best when trying to get a Jugs Jr to perform like a Super Jugs is to attach a 4” pneumatic wheel to the top of a Dremel tool. Any spinning tool will work (drill, car buffer, grinder); it all depends on adaptability, rpms, torque, and overall speed and strength of the motor.

Turn Jugs Jr. to full speed and engage power on “modified” handheld device. When Jugs Jr. gets to maximum rpms, hold device so that pneumatic wheel is rubbing against the spinning jugs wheel. Note: Make sure wheels are spinning in opposite directions. If your device works, it will increase the speed on the machine, by an immeasurable amount.

Please keep me informed on your progress.

Jack Madavilla
Jamada

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions