Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

AZ

Casa Grande

by sftblljunkie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 pm

What better way to spend a weekend than watching softball?! The weather was great...it never got too cold. I was a little disappointed in the fields at CG. No fences in the outfield makes a huge difference. I realize that both teams have the same disadvantage but it still stinks. I thought the Tucson teams that came down did well. SWAT did better than I thought they would. Having stayed down in the fall playing 12u I thought they would crumble completely but they did well against other "new"teams that moved up. They did have a pick up pitcher that they used A LOT. DT Blue picked up a strong pitcher but I never saw them utilize her. I could have missed it. They have a lot of speed but need to work on their defense a bit. Incidentally, they said they will never come back to CG until fences are used. Never is a long time. ;) The Tucson AZtecs performed really well. Their #1 catcher was injured and their #1 pitcher was sick, but both still played and played well. That #99 hit several homeruns....some at the 250ft range! They lost to the Fever twice but then.... so did everyone else... :lol: Speaking of Fever....there is no question that this team is tough and plays well. I saw something on Saturday night that greatly disappointed me. They ended up pulling a stunt that I thought only 10u teams pulled. The Fever was already ahead...not by much but still ahead.... there was no reason to stoop to trickery and tomfoolery. I know it can be a legimate play but you dont see colleges doing that and we shouldn't see top teams doing it either.
No blood.....No bone.....No tears. Suck it up!!!
sftblljunkie

by AZ Bomber » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:32 pm

I have no idea of the trick play performed, but you DO see colleges perform trick plays or distraction plays.
AZ Bomber

by Dogma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:04 pm

"I saw something on Saturday night that greatly disappointed me. They ended up pulling a stunt that I thought only 10u teams pulled. The Fever was already ahead...not by much but still ahead.... there was no reason to stoop to trickery and tomfoolery. I know it can be a legimate play but you dont see colleges doing that and we shouldn't see top teams doing it either"

SBJunkie- I wasnt in CG and had no horse in the race. Just curious. What was the play? Are you disappointed in the fact that they ran the trick play at all or are you dissapointed in them for running the play when they had the game in hand and you feel that they didnt need to run it based on the score? (running the score up/ rubbing salt in the wound).
Dogma

by sftblljunkie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 pm

What happened was this: Their catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher and she hid it while the outfield took off running as if to chase a runaway ball... complete with the coaches yelling and everything. The goal being to make the girl on 2nd base run to third and thus throwing her out. The other team did not fall for it. I just found it to be a distasteful trick.... I realize that it is a fair play but it seems to lack grace and class. Top teams don't need to stoop that low to win. The Fever is undeniably a strong team and up until that trick, I thought they were a class act. They were ahead by two points and went on to win the game. The coaches need to have faith in their strong bats and strong defense to win the game, not this. This is just my humble opinion..... I've only ever seen this trick done with certain teams that have an unspoken reputation for not playing fair. I'm not by any means blasting the Fever or anything... just an observation.
No blood.....No bone.....No tears. Suck it up!!!
sftblljunkie

by THE MAD-DOG99 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Sorry Junkie...Don't see the big problem ...and I have seen classy teams do this...

Might not be nice in everyones book, but as you said, they were only up by 2 "points"..

Not much in a game to determine seeding and if you might have to get up at 5 in the morning..?

When you are driving 60 miles 1 way to the tourney..?

JMO
THE MAD-DOG99

by Dogma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm

So their failed attempt at the trick play caused you to lose some of the respect you had for them as a team and organization. I am sure the team that didnt fall for it considers it a lack of respect and will remember the failed attempt in future meetings on the field.

I tried to find a college SB video showing a trick play. Couldnt. Here is one from a college BB super regional. Hidden ball trick and a bad call. One school of thought is that trick plays are a part of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfWfv53uNs

So the bigger question is- Are trick plays (that are within the rules) part of the game or a low class move which deserves to be frowned upon? Opinions?
Dogma

by wildpitch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:21 pm

I see very little difference between trick plays, and say the delayed steal.
Last edited by wildpitch on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildpitch

by sizzleg11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm

To sftblljunkie_ Tell why Tucson ASA "Sucks"?
sizzleg11

Return to AZ