Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

AZ

12u Arizona ASA Final Rankings 2009

by Politico » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Politico has been Hijacked :cry:
Last edited by Politico on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 75 times in total.
Politico

by phxfan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Congrats to the hotshots for being the #1 team in AZ.
phxfan

by phxfan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:53 pm

While Wacker is playing 14s, they are still a 12U team and they deserve more than an honorable mention. They are far better than the Lil Saints as is the Casa Grande Heat which didn't make your list.
phxfan

by Smiley » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Politico thanks for starting a good discussion. I don't know that we need it since there are so few teams in AZ but bracketologists thread on the CA board is interesting to read. Everyone should realize that it is not a poll and is just a parent/coach's personal opinion. As such it is baised but without identifying yourself nobody knows how biased. Also when you don't attribute statements to a particular "pollster" or "coach" it generally means you made it up. But that's okay and makes it fun. For the most part I agree with your analysis.

I would put the Killer Bees at No. 1, but just barely. IMO pitching and catching are the most important positions. KBs have the most dominant pitcher and the best catcher. Their No. 2 pitcher throws hard but is wild, but the catcher saves her a bunch. The pitching and catching covers up a below average defense. They have 2 very strong hitters who can drive the fence but not much more before or after those two. The coaching is solid but they are dealing with a wide range of talant from superstars to girls who would be bench players on most other teams in the state. Because of the pitching and catching they have the chance to go farther than anyone else in a national tournament but if the pitching falters they will not go very far.

I put Hotshots at number 2. They have a much more athletic team across the board but no superstar pitcher or catcher. They have a few strong fielders, with 2B being outstanding. The hitters are not strong in that nobody has consistent power but they are very disciplined. They benefit by the poor overall pitching they face in AZ. I bet they lead the state in walks per inning. When they face strong pitching in national tourney I think they will have problems. They do have the KBs number so head to head I don't think you can go wrong with them at No. 1, I just think in a competitive tourney KBs have a better chance of going deeper.

I put AZ Cats 96 at no. 3. I really like their speed and athleticism up and down. All of their pitchers can throw and keep them in most games. They played 14U in the last ASA tourney (12U won by Hotshots) and did quite well. I don't think they have lost anything since last year, and at 10U they were the No. 2 team in state behind Fever 96. They don't have the superstars but at all positions they are solid and they are solid through most of the linup. Great coaching seems to get the most out of them. They have been together for a long time and have great chemistry.

I put Fever 96 at No. 4. There No. 1 pitcher can be dominant, which gives them the chance to beat anybody but they have weak catching. When the pitchers struggle with control it leads to walks, past balls, and wild pitches. That leads to runs. Probably the best defense except for catcher. Best mix of slappers, line drive hitters and sluggers. Not as good as the Fever 96 from last year but chance to improve with time. Good coaching.

I think that in any given AZ tourney any one of these teams can win. They are all well above the other teams in the state. In a ntional tourney I think the KBs have the best chance to go far, with Fever having the second best chance if the pitching holds up. Any word on the Vegas tournament?

I agree with Phxfan about Wacker 12U I would put them at No. 5, although far below the first four. Solid team, but without a great pitcher.

No. 6: DT 96

No. 7: Gasa Grande Heat

No. 8: Lil Saints

No. 9: Team AZ 97

No. 10: SV Diamonds
Smiley

by Softballknucklehead » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Being in Vegas this past week I would drop the Hotshots even though they have beaten the Killer Bees a couple of times this year & do have their number but because they did not compete in LV against the better CA teams and untill you've proven you can compete with the CA teams you should not be #1 and the Bees #1 pitcher proved they can compete at that level when she's on.

I do not agree with Phxfan about Wacker 12U they play 14U now only! The last 2 times the Wackers played the Lil Saints in the finals of an ASA tournament the Lil Saints defeated them both times.

The Lil Saints have also beaten the DT96 & Casa Grande Heat the last few times they met. Checking out a couple of Saints games in LV they do have fielding issues but Politico was right on about there #3 & 4 hitters very impressive and they played close games on Sat.

Team AZ lost to SV Diamonds in the last Phoenix ASA tournament & looked overmatched in Las Vegas therefore I would rank them below Sierra Vista Diamonds at this time.

Scottsdale Fever looked good in LV and I feel they are the #3 right now, AZ Cats96 are a good quality team but I don't think they have the pitching to be the #3 rated team in AZ at this time.
Softballknucklehead

by luvnball » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 am

Killer Bees did not loose to OcBB. they beat Raiders in the third round and lost to Team Smith in the semis and took third. Please get facts straight

The buzz around the field was that they didnt even have a starting catcher, cleanup batter. I would hate to face them with everyone healthy.
luvnball

by porcupine » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 am

Luvnball is a KB mom who is very defensive about her team but the buzz references do get stale. The best CA teams were nowhere near LV last weekend so I dont think the bragging really is warranted.
porcupine

by Politico » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am

Politico has been Hijacked :cry:
Last edited by Politico on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politico

by luvnball » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Absolutly humble. Didnt mean to offend, my apologies if it were taken as bragging. Not my intentions.12 yr old girls are only as good as they want to be on that given day. But yes I am a proud parent as are we all.
luvnball

by Smiley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I see that AZ Cats 96 finished #2 in a 14U tourney last weekend. That is the second strong showing in the last two tourneys but both at 14U. Does that mean they should appear on the 14U rankings but not the 12U list? If so, that moves everyone other than the Bees and Hotshots up one spot.
Smiley

Next

Return to AZ