Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

White or orange bag

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:56 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
Steve M wrote:
sbslider wrote:I had this called last weekend and just want to make sure if it was the right call. Batter bunts and is running to first the throw pulls F4 off of white bag and to the orange and blue says safe. The way I read it is if throw pulls defense off of bag defense or offense can use either bag...I have seen this many times and just would like your views. BTW we are talking ASA.

Slider,
Without giving you the answer to your question, what does the rule book say?

Steve M

Not to sound completely like an a$$, but if the OP had a copy of the manual with him at the time, one could assume that the posting would have never been made. Why not just answer the question as posted if you have the requisite knowledge?

The OP was most likely using a computer to post the scenario, so access to a rule book/umpire manual probably isn't a stretch. Steve is trying to prompt the OP to get into the book. This is a proven training technique.

An umpire who makes a call that may be questionable, whether a rule interpretation or positioning mechanic, who goes to the book immediately following the game, will never question it or make the same mistake a second time.
MTR

by bucketdad96 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 am

MTR wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:
Steve M wrote:
sbslider wrote:I had this called last weekend and just want to make sure if it was the right call. Batter bunts and is running to first the throw pulls F4 off of white bag and to the orange and blue says safe. The way I read it is if throw pulls defense off of bag defense or offense can use either bag...I have seen this many times and just would like your views. BTW we are talking ASA.

Slider,

Steve M

Not to sound completely like an a$$, but if the OP had a copy of the manual with him at the time, one could assume that the posting would have never been made. Why not just answer the question as posted if you have the requisite knowledge?

The OP was most likely using a computer to post the scenario, so access to a rule book/umpire manual probably isn't a stretch. Steve is trying to prompt the OP to get into the book. This is a proven training technique.

An umpire who makes a call that may be questionable, whether a rule interpretation or positioning mechanic, who goes to the book immediately following the game, will never question it or make the same mistake a second time.

Please post a link to the online ASA rule book. I have failed to find it.
bucketdad96

by Bretman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 am

Don't forget that ASA has also produced their rule book in CD form and offered it for sale to the general public. That would certainly allow anyone with a computer to have a copy, even without an on-line link.

Individuals have posted this CD on various websites and I imagine that it wouldn't take much more than a simple Google search to turn one up. (I just found one in about 20 seconds). A caveat: As copyrighted software, these "bootleg" copies are neither sanctioned or authorized by ASA. If you want to participate in software piracy, that is up to you. Let your conscience be your guide...

The point is that it would be entirely possible to not have a hard copy paper and ink rule book, yet still have computer access to the ASA rules. No, it isn't a stretch!

Since the original post stated, "The way I read it is...", it was safe to assume that the poster did indeed have access to the rules in some form and had actually read the specific rule at some point. As is often the case, it seems that he may have missed the nuance of the rule.

Once he said that his rule book wasn't handy, I went ahead and answered the question. But I was holding off up to that point. Kind of the old "Give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" thing.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Steve M » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:56 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
Steve M wrote:

Slider,

Steve M

Coach,
About halfway through the post, sbslider indicates he has read the rule book when saying "the way I read it..." As Bret said, the book is easy to find online. As Mike said, we often use reading the rule book as a teaching and learning tool. I've seen way too many questions posted by folks who have (or should have) books available to make the assumption you made.
just an umpire
NFHS, ASA, PONY, NCAA, ISC, NPF
Steve M

by pbj2000 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:18 am

I saw a couple of weekends ago...where the 1st baseman actually lined up on the orange bag...throw was not errant...when the ball got hit that baseman lined up on orange...Blue called runner out because the throw was on time.
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner