Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Just checking to see if ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by HugoTafurst » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Bretman wrote:High School/FED baseball does have this same rule. It's 5-2-d if anyone has a baseball rule book lying around and wants to look it up.

I seem to remember past discussions on baseball forums where it was stated that other amateur codes have a similar rule. Beats me, though. Just like with softball, there are a dozen different alphabet soup organizations out there and I wouldn't hazard a guess on what they all have to say about this.

From 2009 NFHS SB Rules pdf..

5-2-d. when an umpire or player is incapacitated, unless injury occurs during a
live ball, then time shall not be called until no further advance or putout is
possible.

NOTE: If necessary, the umpire may suspend play immediately if, in the umpire’s
judgment, further play may cause injury or jeopardize a participant’s safety. (10-2-3g)
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:19 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
Bretman wrote:High School/FED baseball does have this same rule. It's 5-2-d if anyone has a baseball rule book lying around and wants to look it up.

I seem to remember past discussions on baseball forums where it was stated that other amateur codes have a similar rule. Beats me, though. Just like with softball, there are a dozen different alphabet soup organizations out there and I wouldn't hazard a guess on what they all have to say about this.

possible.

judgment, further play may cause injury or jeopardize a participant’s safety. (10-2-3g)

Are we on the same page ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:25 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:

possible.

Are we on the same page ?

I was posting the SB rule for those who needed it.

The BB rule I have access to is (also 5-2-1-d) is from 2008 and reads:

except that if injury occurs during a live ball, time shall not be called until no further advance or putout is possible;
1) If there is a medical emergency or if, in the umpire's judgement, further play could jeopardize the player's safety, "Time" should be called.

I'm not really trying to make a point... Just posting the actual wording for those interested...
HugoTafurst

by Bretman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Yep, that's one of those FED rules that reads virtually identical for either baseball or softball. Even has the same rule number!

It's also one of those goofily worded rules you find in FED-landia. It basically says, "The umpire shall call time if a player is injured...unless the ball is live (when else would you be calling time? When the ball is already dead?)...unless you think it's really necessary".

Huh? :roll:
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner