Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ASA 7.6.N

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 am

7.6.N reads: (emphasis mine)
THE BATTER IS OUT N) (Fast Pitch) When the batter has three strikes and/or if there are fewer than two outs and first base is occupied at the time of the pitch.

This rule reads correctly when using "and" but is flat out wrong when using "or". This change crept into the book sometime between 2005 and 2007 but didn't appear in any of the annual rule changes.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 am

Not the way I read it ... All ways are correct ;
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes : true
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes and there are fewer than 2 outs and first base is occupied at the time of the pitch : true
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes or if there are fewer than 2 outs and first base is occupied at the time of the pitch : true ( it is kind of redundant ) but means the same as There are fewer than 2 outs, first base is occupied at the time the batter is pitched the ball that becomes strike 3, then she is out
... geesh ... If it ain't broke don't fix it :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by nohesitation » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 am

Good call on the “type O”. I would like to see a umpire call a girl out for this. He could call her out before the pitch reaches the catchers glove.

By the way “between” 2005 and 2007, only leaves 2006. :P
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by nohesitation » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Not the way I read it ... All ways are correct ;
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes : true
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes and there are fewer than 2 outs and first base is occupied at the time of the pitch : true
The Batter is out when she has 3 strikes or if there are fewer than 2 outs and first base is occupied at the time of the pitch : true ( it is kind of redundant ) but means the same as There are fewer than 2 outs, first base is occupied at the time the batter is pitched the ball that becomes strike 3, then she is out
... geesh ... If it ain't broke don't fix it :lol:

GIMNEPIWO, now I know why you’re a liberal, you don’t understand how and/or works. :)

I think rule 7N has a "type O". I vote Crabby Bob in charge of checking all and/or logical operators and report back to heybucket or not.
nohesitation

by nohesitation » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 am

I was reading ASA’s “February 2010 Plays and Clarifications” a list posted by MTR. It appears ASA is on top of this “and” “or” issue.

Question: Does a new model bat that does not appear on the non approved bat list and does not have the ASA certification mark on it fall under the penalty for using a non approved or altered bat?
Answer Yes. Any bat that does not meet Rule 3 Section 1A [1-3] is considered a non approved bat whether listed or not. This is the reason we went to the one bat list called Non Approved bats with Certification Marks. When making the change to the new list, the definition in Rule 1”Non Approved Bat” was missed and the “and” in the definition should have been removed and replaced with “or.” If it does not meet Rule 3 section 1A [1-3] or is on the Non Approved bats with Certification Marks list then it is a “NON APPROVED BAT.”

http://www.asasoftball.com/umpires/clarifications_2010_february.asp
nohesitation

Return to The Umpire Corner