Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which coach can ask question to an ump?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by cent » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:47 pm

HugoTafurst, you obviously have not read the content of this post or understand it. I trust you will read it and understand what we are all trying to say coaches, and umpires.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:27 am

cent wrote:HugoTafurst, you obviously have not read the content of this post or understand it. I trust you will read it and understand what we are all trying to say coaches, and umpires.

Here's what I read and understood and what I wa responding to.

You did not like a ruling on the field.
You did not like the umpire's response.
You decided to show your your displeasure by taking away from the kids game by:
(slowly walking out, knowing that the umire requested conversations be held with the head coach, not you.
(slowly walking back to the dugout
suggesting the head coach return (slowly.

Sounds to me like you were more interested in proving a point than playing the game.

You then pointed out that there is no rule (at the level you are playing) saying that the umpire could only discuss with the Head Coach.
I simply pointed out that (technically) there is no rule requiring the umpire to discuss a call with any coach (with some specific exceptions.

It has been pointed out that most umpires will discuss certain things (or not) depending on the situation. It is the umpire who analyzes the situation.

Finally, if you are really concerned with the "injustice" of the situation and are really concerned with the game, rather than putting on a show, I would suggest you discuss the situation with the Site UIC.

Umpires are not perfect, coaches are not perfect.

I'm done
HugoTafurst

by ice_67 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:52 am

HugoTafurst wrote:
cent wrote:HugoTafurst, you obviously have not read the content of this post or understand it. I trust you will read it and understand what we are all trying to say coaches, and umpires.

(slowly walking out, knowing that the umire requested conversations be held with the head coach, not you.

Sounds to me like you were more interested in proving a point than playing the game.

You then pointed out that there is no rule (at the level you are playing) saying that the umpire could only discuss with the Head Coach.
I simply pointed out that (technically) there is no rule requiring the umpire to discuss a call with any coach (with some specific exceptions.

It has been pointed out that most umpires will discuss certain things (or not) depending on the situation. It is the umpire who analyzes the situation.

Finally, if you are really concerned with the "injustice" of the situation and are really concerned with the game, rather than putting on a show, I would suggest you discuss the situation with the Site UIC.

I'm done

And I always thought Cent was the Head Coach. He must have been demoted after that disappointing spring season. :P :roll:
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by rediman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 am

ice_67 wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:

I'm done

And I always thought Cent was the Head Coach. He must have been demoted after that disappointing spring season. :P :roll:

I bet that if cent had conferred with hugo for some of his wisdom & understanding in the Spring, he might have had a better season.
rediman

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 pm

CENT BASHING 101 :lol: ... I think I was the first to say I would have tossed cent ... even he said he probably should have been run ... ... and although I have yet to be tossed, I also believe I said that I had acted worse than his slow-stroll on the field ... and I am quite sure the more experienced Blues have seen much worse ... sometimes you just get caught up in the moment and can't help but stick your head in your own as* ... ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by cent » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Gimne, agreed. I think this post has ran its course. I really appreciate all those that answered in good faith. Myself and Ice 67 now feel we have a better understanding of the rules and that is what this forum is for. Happy holidays.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 pm

You're outta here!!!!
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nohesitation » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am

ice_67 wrote:Is there a rule(ASA) that restricts which coach can ask questions to an umpire? We have 3 coaches, can anyone of them approach an ump and challenge a call or ask for an explaination? Please site the rule #. I couldn't find anything in the ASA rulebook, but I might have missed it.

Thanks

I found this in the 2010 ASA code and thought of this thread.

"Article 510 GENERAL REGULATIONS OF CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY.
All championship play must be conducted in accordance with this Code and the playing rules as adopted by the ASA. In case of a conflict between the playing rules and the ASA Code in championship play, the ASA Code shall take precedence.

M. Team Conduct.

05. Disputed Play. In case of disputed play or decision, team managers or
captains may consult game officials. The other players and coaches or
sponsors are to be kept out of the discussion
."
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by nohesitation » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

In the Frequently Asked Questions, section on page 52 of the Yellow Book.

Q: Is a manager and a coach one and the same in ASA?
A: No, the team manager is responsible for the team’s affairs. This position has the final say in team decisions. Umpires should address questions and problems from only the manager.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by MTR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:55 pm

nohesitation wrote:In the Frequently Asked Questions, section on page 52 of the Yellow Book.

Q: Is a manager and a coach one and the same in ASA?
A: No, the team manager is responsible for the team’s affairs. This position has the final say in team decisions. Umpires should address questions and problems from only the manager.

You are citing two different publications. One is official, the other has no bearing on ASA Championship play.

Often during the pre-game meeting, an umpire will ask the identity of the head coach or manager. This is so s/he knows who is in charge on the field. When it comes down to it, this person may be the only person with which the umpire may discuss a problem or question. When this occurs, all others should be kept away so that there can be a simple one-on-one discussion.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner