Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ASA Trips To Mound???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by vinylkings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 am

Ok, so I have heard that a pitcher must be pulled if the mound is visited 2 times in same inning or 3 times in the course of a game. Yesterday I was told by an ASA umpire that the rules changed 10 years ago, and a coach is allowed 4 trips to the mound before a pitcher must be removed. Can someone please clarify? As well, if possible, add the page number and/or section this is found in the 2010 ASA rule book? Thanks Fam
vinylkings

by MTR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm

vinylkings wrote:Ok, so I have heard that a pitcher must be pulled if the mound is visited 2 times in same inning or 3 times in the course of a game.

To start, it is a circle, not a mound and neither are relevant to the rule. For that matter, neither is the pitcher since the rule refers to any defensive player.

Yesterday I was told by an ASA umpire that the rules changed 10 years ago, and a coach is allowed 4 trips to the mound before a pitcher must be removed.

Obviously, this umpire needs to attend a clinic or two. As Spaz noted, it is 3 conferences in a 7-inning game with one additional for each additional inning played. The interpretation was changed last year that notes a conference will not be charged if the pitcher is removed during that suspension in play. (RS #9)

Can someone please clarify? As well, if possible, add the page number and/or section this is found in the 2010 ASA rule book? Thanks Fam
MTR

by vinylkings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Thank you to both for your replies. Your comments was my interpretation and understanding as well. Thanks for your confirmation.
vinylkings

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am

By the way, you can call time and go talk to your pitcher 3 times in the same inning if you choose to do so. Trip number 4 would cause you to switch pitchers.
Iluvblue

Return to The Umpire Corner