Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Calls I didn't make

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 02, 2009 5:33 am

I'm on the bases for a JV game ...

1st inning I see that the pitcher of the visiting team is crow hopping on every pitch, there are no complaints by the home team Coaches, but some grumbling going on in the stands ... in between innings I approach the visiting Coach and tell her that her Pitcher is crow hopping ( she denies it ) and that she needs to talk to her ... the next inning she only hopped twice, the 3rd inning maybe 3 times and I told the Coach that she was doing much better but to keep at it... the rest of the game she crow hopped a handfull of times, but she was working on it ... Never a complaint from the home team Coach ...
Should I have called it?

3rd inning, R1 on second,BR lays down a bunt, F2 throws the ball into left field and R1 comes home, BR is on first yaking with the base Coach as the throw from F7 goes over F6's head and between F1's feet and rolls into foul ground near the defensive teams dugout ... F3 runs after the ball and the defensive asst. Coach rolls the ball to her with her hand ... Now, if the BR and 1st Base Coach were on the same planet instead of high fiving about the bunt she would have been standing on 3rd ... I made no call but asked the Head Coach between innings to remind his asst. not to touch a live ball ... which he did ...
Should I have called it?
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Sat May 02, 2009 6:08 am

At freshman and JV level I have just been trying to explain to the pitchers and their coaches what they are doing wrong and need to work on. If they are blatently illegal I try to stop it, but in some cases they have been pitching that way for so long they cant throw any other way.

JV game I worked the other day the pitcher was stepping back after she brought her hands together. I went out and explained what she was doing and actually showed her that she could start back, or step back as she was bringing hands together, but, could not step back after hands were together. Also had the coach out there showing her the same. Well, now girl is so flustered she cant get ball over the plate and starts doing all kinds of strange stuff. Then all of a sudden she starts pitching without ever bringing her hands together. After about 4 batters of this I finally told the catcher to go tell the pitcher to just go back to pitching how she was originally because it was less of a problem than what she was doing now.
Comp

by Nzane » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 am

IMO. 1st one, if the opposing Coach doesn't say anything, don't call it. 2nd one, you should have called it, regardless..........
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by SnocatzDad » Mon May 04, 2009 8:43 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'm on the bases for a JV game ...

1st inning I see that the pitcher of the visiting team is crow hopping on every pitch, there are no complaints by the home team Coaches, but some grumbling going on in the stands ... in between innings I approach the visiting Coach and tell her that her Pitcher is crow hopping ( she denies it ) and that she needs to talk to her ... the next inning she only hopped twice, the 3rd inning maybe 3 times and I told the Coach that she was doing much better but to keep at it... the rest of the game she crow hopped a handfull of times, but she was working on it ... Never a complaint from the home team Coach ...
Should I have called it?

I'd give a warning and then call it. This is like travelling in youth basketball, it doesn't stop until it gets called and your not doing the player favors by not calling it. She's not 10 and incapable of making the correction, she's 1 year away from playing varsity where I would guess it will be called 100% with no warning.

3rd inning, R1 on second,BR lays down a bunt, F2 throws the ball into left field and R1 comes home, BR is on first yaking with the base Coach as the throw from F7 goes over F6's head and between F1's feet and rolls into foul ground near the defensive teams dugout ... F3 runs after the ball and the defensive asst. Coach rolls the ball to her with her hand ... Now, if the BR and 1st Base Coach were on the same planet instead of high fiving about the bunt she would have been standing on 3rd ... I made no call but asked the Head Coach between innings to remind his asst. not to touch a live ball ... which he did ...
Should I have called it?

What would be the call? Can there be obstruction if there is no play being made? The intent of the rule is that she gets the base she would have gotten if the action didn't take place? Wouldn't that still be 1B in this case since she never moved?
SnocatzDad

by Comp » Mon May 04, 2009 8:57 am

When it becomes obvious that the girl can not pitch legally and get the ball over the plate you have to make a decision as to if you are going to call the illegal pitch all day or let it go and get to the end of the game. In my one situtation the pitcher went from one illegal act to another, so I finally just told her to go back to throwing how she was. I did tell her coach though what exactly it was she was doing illegal and it really needed to be worked on at practice.
Comp

by JEL » Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 am

What would be the call? Can there be obstruction if there is no play being made? The intent of the rule is that she gets the base she would have gotten if the action didn't take place? Wouldn't that still be 1B in this case since she never moved?[/quote]

Who was obstructed?

The defensive coach (illegally) entered live ball area and assisted the defense (again illegally) with a play. The fact that the runner at 1B was standing still has no bearing. That was a blocked ball and the penalty (two base award) should have been given
JEL

by MTR » Thu May 07, 2009 5:27 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:3rd inning, R1 on second,BR lays down a bunt, F2 throws the ball into left field and R1 comes home, BR is on first yaking with the base Coach as the throw from F7 goes over F6's head and between F1's feet and rolls into foul ground near the defensive teams dugout ... F3 runs after the ball and the defensive asst. Coach rolls the ball to her with her hand ... Now, if the BR and 1st Base Coach were on the same planet instead of high fiving about the bunt she would have been standing on 3rd ... I made no call but asked the Head Coach between innings to remind his asst. not to touch a live ball ... which he did ...
Should I have called it?

Depends. Did the coach's actions prevent the ball from entering DBT? If so, it is a two-base award (blocked ball).

If not and the runner is planted on 1B, just kill the ball and remind the DC to stay out of the field of play.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 07, 2009 5:57 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:3rd inning, R1 on second,BR lays down a bunt, F2 throws the ball into left field and R1 comes home, BR is on first yaking with the base Coach as the throw from F7 goes over F6's head and between F1's feet and rolls into foul ground near the defensive teams dugout ... F3 runs after the ball and the defensive asst. Coach rolls the ball to her with her hand ... Now, if the BR and 1st Base Coach were on the same planet instead of high fiving about the bunt she would have been standing on 3rd ... I made no call but asked the Head Coach between innings to remind his asst. not to touch a live ball ... which he did ...
Should I have called it?

Depends. Did the coach's actions prevent the ball from entering DBT? If so, it is a two-base award (blocked ball).

If not and the runner is planted on 1B, just kill the ball and remind the DC to stay out of the field of play.

No ... it would have kicked off the dugout ... and yes .,.. thats what I did ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner