Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire refuses to get help

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:36 am

Jalamander wrote:
Crabby_Bob wrote: The OP claimed to have seen it.

I don’t understand what OP you are talking about.
Jalamander

My mistake, sorry about that. I meant DunninLA.

I might have picked A with a left-hand batter. But what do I know :oops:
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Jalamander » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:00 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:I might have picked A with a left-hand batter. But what do I know
Possibly A, but if you're in A, you've got no runners (2-man). You're not distracted by base runners. Your attention is drawn to the batter. You still have a good angle. You can see wrist roll, bat movement forward, bat out in front of the body, etc. Things that may help you with your call.
If you are in B or C, that means you have runners (2-man) and that means some of your attention is on them. Checking on the runners, watching the pitcher and then focusing your attention on the batter happens almost in the blink of an eye. You can see the wrist roll, but bat movement forward or in front of the body may be a little more difficult to pick up.
However or whatever nuances of the batter you use to make your call, in all cases, you need to be very sure before you change the PU's call of a ball to a strike.

Jalamander
Jalamander

by umpinva » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:49 am

carolinafan wrote:When teams change, the Plate Umpire comes up to our head coach and asks quietly if he asked for help. He says yes but the BU refuses. PU then says she was out. WTF!!!!!!

PU threw his partner under the bus and is not someone I would enjoy working with. I'm thinking somewhere down the road the PU may become a hood ornament for a bus that has their name on it.
umpinva

by carolinafan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 pm

I agree he threw his partner under the bus, but personally, I would have liked being the one driving that bus when it happened! The BU blew 3 calls that game and this particular one cost us the game. PU should have been asked for help if the BU could have just checked his ego at the door for a few minutes. I umpire, too, and have NEVER refused to get help from partner(s) when asked by a respectful coach. I have a big ego, but realize I cannot see everything perfectly when trying to ump multiple bases. I will always respect a coaches' wish for me to get help!
carolinafan

by wadeintothem » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm

carolinafan wrote:PU should have been asked for help if the BU could have just checked his ego at the door for a few minutes. I umpire, too, and have NEVER refused to get help from partner(s) when asked by a respectful coach. I have a big ego, but realize I cannot see everything perfectly when trying to ump multiple bases. I will always respect a coaches' wish for me to get help!

It would be much more beneficial if you would get some umpire training from a competent trainer than for you to run for help every time coach wants a 2nd free shot at a call. Running to your partner every time a coach snivels is no better than not going for help when you did not see the play.

Now I dont know whether the ump in your OP was right or wrong; I do know the PU in that game is wrong and your philosophy on officiating softball is wrong.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by carolinafan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Wade, I respect you a lot on here but will have to disagree with you on this one. I do not run to my partners for everything a coach complains about. However, when I believe my fellow blue has a better angle on a close play, I ALWAYS ask for help if the coach requests I do so.....politely of course ;)
carolinafan

by wadeintothem » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:32 pm

You are changing your initial post now.

If you dont have the whole puzzle, then you can certainly get some input from your partner. Then you should self evaluate for better positioning for the next time. Getting help is the exception and not the rule. You should be in position and have the elements for a call right there. Then you make your call and thats it.

You stated you will "always" go for help.

That is not officiating and there is no trained umpire anywhere who would tell or teach you otherwise.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by carolinafan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:21 am

In my OP I stated BU was out of position on the rundown.....sorry if I was confusing on later posts.....I can see where you thought I meant ALL plays. That would be one short game innings-wise :-)

Agree 100% not to ask for help when not needed. This was clearly not the case. BU was behind the play on the rundown and the PU had the best view. In a two man show, PU has this call. Since it was an Elite 8 game, tourney went with 3. BU was not in the correct position to make the call, IMHO.

Be good and enjoy your month off....if there is such a thing!

All, thanks for a great season of questions and commentary. Here's to 09-10!
carolinafan

by MTR » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:19 am

Don't want the umpire's calls to affect your game, take the umpire out of the equation. Umpires do not lose games for teams. If a team has to hang it's loss on pivotal calls, they didn't play well enough to win the game to begin. If find it humorous that it is often the umpire's fault, but folks forget to mention the 7 walks given up, the three balls under F4's glove, the four balls over the OF's heads, the two errant throws by F5 and the five U3K by F2. But that one call cost them the game!!!!! Yeah, right.

"The BU blew 3 calls"? Talk about throwing someone under the bus! If a coach simply wants an umpire to go for help because s/he disagreed, nope, ain't happening. Even if the "angle" is bad, in your opinion, that better not be the only reason, because there is no going for help on a judgment in that case either. And from what I can see, that is all you have or, at least, have posted.
MTR

by carolinafan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am

Sorry, not going to get into a pissing match with all the blues on here, who BTW I find to be very informative and knowledgeable. As stated, it is my opinion this blue was out of position on a "critical" play. Game went to ITB (2-2 after 7), so yeah, that play that led to their first run was pivotal. For those blues out there that think they are God, I hope my dd never has you on the field nor do I ever hope to ump a game with you....I am done with this thread. Have fun!
carolinafan

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner