Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Ball 3 or no call?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by The Big Dog » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm

We had this one in Huntington Beach a couple of weeks ago...

Runner on 3rd, 2 out, 1-2 count on the batter. Pitcher throws a ball in the dirt, batter check swings, and the catcher immediately throws to an unoccupied 1st base for potential D3K putout prior to an appeal being made on the swing. Base umpire ruled no swing (ball 2) and home plate ump awarded ball 3 on the throw to 1st. We argued unsuccessfully that this circumstance is an exception to the rule. Were we right or wrong?

Thanks.
The Big Dog

by Comp » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Rule does not apply with runner/s on base.

And, if there had been no runners on base, there is no exception for the catcher believing she went. Without runners on, the call would have been correct.
Comp

by Bretman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Comp already gave you the right answer. The rules specifically say that throwing the ball to a base is not a violation whenever there is a runner on base (See ASA rule 6-7-B).

This one has another strange aspect to it. You indicate that the checked swing was appealed and that the base umpire issued a ruling of "no swing". That means that for a brief instant- up to the point where the base umpire made his ruling- either the plate umpire had: Already ruled this a strike, or; Ruled nothing, thus forcing the catcher to react as if it was a strike.

I would say that even with no other runners on base calling an extra ball would be the wrong thing to do!

This would fall under the rule about a "delayed or reversed call putting the defense in jeopardy". How can you penalize the defense for reacting in the expected, logical manner to a potential uncaught third strike situation? The umpire's delayed or reversed call put them in a spot where they pretty much had to throw to first base. I'm not going to penalize the defense and let the offense be rewarded for that!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 pm

There is a runner on 3rd ... the batter didn't start to run I presume ... tell your backstop to reach up and tag the Batter ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by anonlooker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:18 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:There is a runner on 3rd ... the batter didn't start to run I presume ... tell your backstop to reach up and tag the Batter ...

This seems most logical as the runner would have to be standing there. If the batter is running to 1B, that changes the whole scenario, right?
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

Return to The Umpire Corner