Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Stalling...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 am

lvtwft wrote:Best way to approach a blue in this instance? In your opinions....

Simple. "Hey, blue, hope those ten runs we scored in the 1st inning didn't cause any problems with the clock."
MTR

by dgorsuch » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 am

There is a fine line between stalling and managing the clock. Blatant stalling shows poor sportsmanship and sends the wrong message to your team and parents. Umps should deal with this severely by issuing a warning and giving the batter a strike.
An old coach who mentored me in my younger coaching days made it very clear to me.
“I will play anyone, anywhere, any time!!! But we are going to play it straight up, we are going to do our best, we are going to play by the rules and we are not going to stall. If we have to do that then we do not deserve to win and we have not prepared to win.
dgorsuch

by wadeintothem » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:47 am

So... in a timed game, lets say ASA Championship Pool Play

Is taking all 3 of your defensive time outs in a row to use up the last few minutes (or much of) blatant stalling that should be punished or is it allowed by rule?

Whether a coach is "managing the clock" is not an issue in a rule. He is either violating a specific rule or he is not.

I am of the opinion that taking 3 time outs in a row may be a little on the tacky side, but that is allowed.. ie this would not fall under Rule 5.4 (stalling = forfiet) because the coach absolutely can use all 3 of his time outs. As an umpire the time out period would probably get real short, but taking 3 time outs is completely legal.

Now when stuff of this nature takes place, because it is tacky, the tensions rise and the game can become miserable, but that doesnt mean something illegal is taking place. If it doesnt rise to the level of USC or violate another rule, its legal and would not be "punished" by the umpire.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dgorsuch » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 am

wadeintothem wrote:So... in a timed game, lets say ASA Championship Pool Play

Is taking all 3 of your defensive time outs in a row to use up the last few minutes (or much of) blatant stalling that should be punished or is it allowed by rule?

Whether a coach is "managing the clock" is not an issue in a rule. He is either violating a specific rule or he is not.

I am of the opinion that taking 3 time outs in a row may be a little on the tacky side, but that is allowed.. ie this would not fall under Rule 5.4 (stalling = forfiet) because the coach absolutely can use all 3 of his time outs. As an umpire the time out period would probably get real short, but taking 3 time outs is completely legal.

Now when stuff of this nature takes place, because it is tacky, the tensions rise and the game can become miserable, but that doesnt mean something illegal is taking place. If it doesnt rise to the level of USC or violate another rule, its legal and would not be "punished" by the umpire.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
If you are about being tacky and making the game miserable then thats what you are about. I did not say it was legal or illegal. I just think you need to define what you and your team are about and what you represent for yourself and your players.
dgorsuch

by Coach11 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 pm

It's only stalling when you're on the losing end of the match.

Any good coach will recognize when/if his team isn't up to keeping a lead.

Managing the clock is a part of any timed game.

And any umpire worth his salt will recognize a stall tactic when he sees it.

Best way to keep him/her on their toes is to ask for the official time remaining at the start of the top and bottom of a late inning.
Coach11

by SnocatzDad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 pm

Coach11 wrote:It's only stalling when you're on the losing end of the match.

Any good coach will recognize when/if his team isn't up to keeping a lead.

Managing the clock is a part of any timed game.

And any umpire worth his salt will recognize a stall tactic when he sees it.

Best way to keep him/her on their toes is to ask for the official time remaining at the start of the top and bottom of a late inning.

For Elimination games I'd agree. You manage the clock the same way you would manage substitutions batting order etc or your not a good coach. If you don't and lose due to poor clock management your depriving your team of an extra games worth of developement.

For league/pool games of little signifigance I feel the other way, your robbing both teams of an opportunity to play another inning in a game that will not send you home. Why not take advantage of putting your team in the pressure cooker of having to hold onto a lead late?
Unlike baserunning, hitting, pitching that should be played with the same intensity either way clock management is a coaching function and shouldn't require practice in non meaningful games unless your a poor coach.
SnocatzDad

by HugoTafurst » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 pm

I've done games recently where the time limit was:
"Finish the inning plus one more (full inning)"

I thought it was a decent way to deal with the necessity of having timed games.
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:27 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:I've done games recently where the time limit was:

Did they shorten the clock ? Say, instead of 80, make them 70 with one more full inning after ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Did they shorten the clock ? Say, instead of 80, make them 70 with one more full inning after ?

That IS the way to do it.

However, does anyone see the irony of the intent to run out the time while time is out?
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Yes
HugoTafurst

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner