Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which rules??

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Bretman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Imperial SB Dad wrote:This isn't considered a foul ball????

Not under any set of rules I've ever seen.

But I am enjoying the irony of someone asking that in thread about misinterpreted rules! :mrgreen:
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by SnocatzDad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Bretman wrote: batter was hit on the hand while swinging at a pitch for strike three.

But I am enjoying the irony of someone asking that in thread about misinterpreted rules! :mrgreen:

I hadn't seen that happen in a game until last year and it happened 3 times last summer call was made correctly 2 of 3 times, dead ball, runners can't advance, strike three, batter's out. Possibly the absolute worst offensive result that can happen in a game, your hurt, your out, and if anyone stole a base they have to go back. Sucks to be the umpire that has to tell the kid with the broken fingers "oh BTW yerrr out!!" :twisted:
SnocatzDad

by lvtwft » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Bretman wrote:I worked well over 100 games last year and can only recall one instance where a coach argued for a runner interference call. Can't remember anyone arguing for an obstruction call.

On the other hand, the few times I had to make either of these calls (if I had to put a number on it, I'd guess about five times for each one) the coach of the "violating" team put up some mild argument, grumbled about it or wanted some explanation just about 100% of the time.

I did hear the comment that "she has to slide" a few times, when there is no rule requiring a runner to ever slide. A few more complained about a batter being out of the batter's box when she wasn't. And there is always a coach or two that is convinced a pitcher is doing something illegal, when she is not.

Maybe it's because the majority of the games I worked had more experienced coaches and players, but no one particular rule really sticks out as having been argued appreciably more than any other. Comments about the strike zone are fairly common and can be expected. I only had one coach push the line far enough to get close to an ejection, but when I told him to knock it off he did.

No one particular rule stuck out enough last year to call it a trend, but I did have a few unusual arguments on some pretty basic rules.

One coach argued that when his batter bunted the ball, dropped the bat and the bat smacked right into the ball out in front of the batter's box that this was not interference because the bat was out of the batter's hands.

Another had a mild hissy fit when I denied his appeal that a runner had missed third base, when I was standing a few feet away looking right at the runner's foot when she rounded the bag.

I had an experienced high school coach vehemently try to tell me that "the hands are part of the bat" after his batter was hit on the hand while swinging at a pitch for strike three.

Perhaps my favorite- another experienced coach tried to tell me there was a Look Back violation because a runner left base and advanced when the ball was in the circle. Yep, it was in the circle alright, but it was being held by his third baseman!

Section 6. THE BATTER IS OUT.

K. When the batter hits a fair ball with the bat a second time in fair territory.
EFFECT: D –K The ball is dead and runner(s) must return to the base occupied
at the time of the pitch.
EXCEPTION:
1. When the batter is in the batter’s box and contact is made while the bat
is in the batter’s hands.
EFFECT: Foul ball, even if the ball is hit a second time over fair territory.
2. When the batter drops the bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair
territory, and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intent to interfere
with the ball.
EFFECT: The ball is live.
3. When contact is made on the follow through after missing the pitch on
the initial swing.
EFFECT: The ball is dead, and a strike is called.

Would this rule make that a live ball without you (the ump) thinking it was intentional?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by Imperial SB Dad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:
Bretman wrote: batter was hit on the hand while swinging at a pitch for strike three.

I hadn't seen that happen in a game until last year and it happened 3 times last summer call was made correctly 2 of 3 times, dead ball, runners can't advance, strike three, batter's out. Possibly the absolute worst offensive result that can happen in a game, your hurt, your out, and if anyone stole a base they have to go back. Sucks to be the umpire that has to tell the kid with the broken fingers "oh BTW yerrr out!!" :twisted:

I went back and read the rules and it is indeed an out. You learn something new every day. :oops:
Imperial SB Dad

by nohesitation » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 pm

I have never seen this so it doesn’t fall under the “got it wrong” category but the situation is interesting.

B1 hits a fly ball to RF. F9 is running back and hits the temp fence, knocking it flat. F9 stands on the fence that is lying, out of bounds, and makes the catch. B1 is out.

I have seen the call at first base missed more that any other call. I think it’s because umpires are looking for either a before or after call and don’t take into account the old phrase “the tie goes to the runner”. So anything close is out.

We all heard the old phrase “The tie goes to the runner”. It is true. If the ball is in the glove at the same time that the batter-runner touches the base, the runner is safe.

Rule 8-2-B ..Runner is out (when)…… the batter-runner is put out prior to reaching first base.

So the tie does go to the runner. Myth confirmed.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 am

nohesitation wrote:I have never seen this so it doesn’t fall under the “got it wrong” category but the situation is interesting.

B1 hits a fly ball to RF. F9 is running back and hits the temp fence, knocking it flat. F9 stands on the fence that is lying, out of bounds, and makes the catch. B1 is out.

I have seen the call at first base missed more that any other call. I think it’s because umpires are looking for either a before or after call and don’t take into account the old phrase “the tie goes to the runner”. So anything close is out.

We all heard the old phrase “The tie goes to the runner”. It is true. If the ball is in the glove at the same time that the batter-runner touches the base, the runner is safe.

Rule 8-2-B ..Runner is out (when)…… the batter-runner is put out prior to reaching first base.

So the tie does go to the runner. Myth confirmed.

Now confirm the myth that there is such a thing as a tie ... Out or Safe, no ties
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by nohesitation » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:43 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Now confirm the myth that there is such a thing as a tie ... Out or Safe, no ties

Ties happen, umps just can’t see them. ;)
nohesitation

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:13 am

nohesitation wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Now confirm the myth that there is such a thing as a tie ... Out or Safe, no ties

Do they ever happen while your team is on Defense ? :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by nohesitation » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:18 am

This post is going to be sarcastic.

I would like to propose some rule changes to emulate game time conditions.

Existing rule:

Proposed rule:
Rule 8-2-B (proposed) ..Runner is out (when)…… the batter-runner is put out prior to reaching first base or if the ball ties the runner to first base.

Second rule change would be the strike zone.

Existing Rule:
STRIKE ZONE: That space over any part of home plate,……………

Proposed rule change:
STRIKE ZONE: That space over any part of home plate and the area adjacent to that area plus 6” away from the batter (known as the outside pitch), ………

PS Is there a sarcastic icon? I could use one.
nohesitation

by nohesitation » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
nohesitation wrote:

Do they ever happen while your team is on Defense ? :lol:

On defense the runner is only safe if she is one step past the base.

I’m usually to busy (when we're on defense) with my camcorder trying to film the first rise ball, the other myth. :)
nohesitation

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner