Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Automatic out?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SnocatzDad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:08 am

It is prevalent. I saw the same call at our Elite State Tournament two weeks ago and the umpires had it right initially and scored the run, the defensive coach called time and talked them into it being a force at 2nd (when it was really an appeal) and got the run taken back. I talked to the umpire crew after the game and neither was solid on what the rule was. Wasn't my team playing and call didn't change game outcome.

The only real question I had was whether the defensive coach knew the rule, but was just fishing and caught a whopper, or if he also didn't know the rule.
SnocatzDad

by Jalamander » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 am

It is prevalent. I saw the same call at our Elite State Tournament two weeks ago and the umpires had it right initially and scored the run, the defensive coach called time and talked them into it being a force at 2nd (when it was really an appeal) and got the run taken back. I talked to the umpire crew after the game and neither was solid on what the rule was. Wasn't my team playing and call didn't change game outcome.

The only real question I had was whether the defensive coach knew the rule, but was just fishing and caught a whopper, or if he also didn't know the rule.

One thing's for sure. The OM didn't know the rule!
Jalamander

by DiamondDad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the input. The run that was disallowed made us go to ITB. We won the game in the ITB so there was no need to pursue the matter. I met with the UIC the next day and gave him the same scenario. He said run did not count. I had to show him the experts here on Hey Bucket were up to par on their rules. He looked up the rule in his rule book and learned something new. Thanks again for the lesson. :D
DiamondDad

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner