Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher Obstruction Rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 pm

watcher wrote:DD has been taught to set-up to block the plate, A foot or so up the line, If the throw is not there before the runner arrives she just moves a little towards the infield & back a 1/2 step giving the runner a clear path to the plate & attempts a sweep-tag. Sometimes when the runner see's F2 do this they slow up a touch.

And that is going to get an OBS from a good umpire.

I have found over the years that no two blues call it the same, I guess a catcher needs to "test" the water and see what she can get away with.[/quote]

Yeah, what the GAGAs do may be a whole other story ;)
MTR

by watcher » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 pm

MTR wrote:
watcher wrote:DD has been taught to set-up to block the plate, A foot or so up the line, If the throw is not there before the runner arrives she just moves a little towards the infield & back a 1/2 step giving the runner a clear path to the plate & attempts a sweep-tag. Sometimes when the runner see's F2 do this they slow up a touch.

And that is going to get an OBS from a good umpire.

I have found over the years that no two blues call it the same, I guess a catcher needs to "test" the water and see what she can get away with.

Yeah, what the GAGAs do may be a whole other story ;)[/quote]

If the catcher is out of the way before the runner gets close to the plate How can an umpire in thier right mind call obs ? She has (to this point) never been called for obs. A catcher can tell if the ball is going to be there on time & set-up as needed.

I think it's kind of like the strike zone, One size does not fit all :D
watcher

by MTR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:15 am

watcher wrote:If the catcher is out of the way before the runner gets close to the plate How can an umpire in thier right mind call obs ? She has (to this point) never been called for obs. A catcher can tell if the ball is going to be there on time & set-up as needed.

My comment was made based on the information you offered:

Sometimes when the runner see's F2 do this they slow up a touch.

When offering that comment, you made no inference to the distance of the runner, but if you read the rule book, you will note that any action by the defender which impedes the runner is OBS.

If the catcher's presence in the basepath caused a runner to check-up, that is OBS. Please note, I am referring to a runner approaching a base, not a player who just rounded the previous base.

BTW, the catcher does not have absolute knowledge of the pending throw. For as much as she knows, a throw could be cut at the last second, and thinking it was going to be there on time, holds her ground.

Also, there is no guarantee the catcher is going to hold onto the ball. Even if the ball does arrive on time, the catcher must demonstrate control of the ball to NOT be called for OBS should that runner check-up. (All games except NCAA)
MTR

by watcher » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:27 am

MTR wrote:
watcher wrote:If the catcher is out of the way before the runner gets close to the plate How can an umpire in thier right mind call obs ? She has (to this point) never been called for obs. A catcher can tell if the ball is going to be there on time & set-up as needed.

My comment was made based on the information you offered:

Sometimes when the runner see's F2 do this they slow up a touch.

When offering that comment, you made no inference to the distance of the runner, but if you read the rule book, you will note that any action by the defender which impedes the runner is OBS.

If the catcher's presence in the basepath caused a runner to check-up, that is OBS. Please note, I am referring to a runner approaching a base, not a player who just rounded the previous base.

BTW, the catcher does not have absolute knowledge of the pending throw. For as much as she knows, a throw could be cut at the last second, and thinking it was going to be there on time, holds her ground.

Also, there is no guarantee the catcher is going to hold onto the ball. Even if the ball does arrive on time, the catcher must demonstrate control of the ball to NOT be called for OBS should that runner check-up. (All games except NCAA)

All true, I meant that once the catcher moves completely out of the way, Some runners check-up a bit thinking the ball will not arrive in time.

Absolute knoledge ? I would hope that most "good catchers" know the arms of the fielders on her team & Have a pretty good idea if there will be a play at the plate, If not they should be calling for a "cut"
watcher

by MTR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:28 pm

watcher wrote:
All true, I meant that once the catcher moves completely out of the way, Some runners check-up a bit thinking the ball will not arrive in time.

Okay, I'll buy that and have actually used it myself. Boy, does that get the runner ticked off at the coach.

Absolute knowledge ? I would hope that most "good catchers" know the arms of the fielders on her team & Have a pretty good idea if there will be a play at the plate, If not they should be calling for a "cut"

Just because the catcher doesn't call for a cut doesn't mean it will not occur. Nor does it mean the ball will take a true bounce. Just a couple of reasons the standard changed from block and receive the ball to receive the ball then block.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:42 pm

There is nothing automatic about obstruction based on catcher positioning. It all has to do with whether the runner is impeded by the catcher (or any defender) without a ball. I don't care where you set up or whether you take a step her or there.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by watcher » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:25 pm

wadeintothem wrote:There is nothing automatic about obstruction based on catcher positioning. It all has to do with whether the runner is impeded by the catcher (or any defender) without a ball. I don't care where you set up or whether you take a step her or there.

I'm pretty sure you have worked behind my DD, She was on the So Cal Pumas for the last 4+ years & Always played in Stocton and Sac. quite a few times. You would remember her 5' 13" tall w/ long blonde hair that trows from the knees. :D
watcher

by wadeintothem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:49 pm

watcher wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:There is nothing automatic about obstruction based on catcher positioning. It all has to do with whether the runner is impeded by the catcher (or any defender) without a ball. I don't care where you set up or whether you take a step her or there.

I'm pretty sure you have worked behind my DD, She was on the So Cal Pumas for the last 4+ years & Always played in Stocton and Sac. quite a few times. You would remember her 5' 13" tall w/ long blonde hair that trows from the knees. :D

Isnt she that one that obstructs all the time? ;)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by watcher » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
watcher wrote:

Isnt she that one that obstructs all the time? ;)

Yeah, Thats her, Oh and by the way some would say that you suck as a blue, As you have never called her on it. lmao
watcher

by wadeintothem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Yes .. yes they would. :lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner