Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Obstruction Rule? (revised title)

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by watcher » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:35 pm

MTR wrote:
watcher wrote:
Hey Wade, I am officially done with obs. threads, After speaking with DD on the subject she informs me that in the NCAA the rule is either non- existent or not enforced the same as ASA.

And why would that be?

Just messing with my friend Wade :mrgreen:
watcher

by MTR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm

MTR wrote:
socalsoftball wrote:I am looking under "Points of Emphasis" in the 2005 ASA rule book (sorry, I can't find a newer version) in the obstruction section. It says, "If a defensive person is blocking the base or basepath without the ball, this is impeding the progress of the runner and this is obstruction. Prior to this year (2005), coaches taught to block the base, catch the ball and make the tag. Now it must be catch the ball, block the base and make the tag."

Not sure if this is in the most recent rule book. But, I would also like to know the rule because I have heard many different views from umpires and coaches.

This was inserted as more of an educational addition to give some direction to the coaches and umpires as to how the removal of "about to receive" affected the manner in which they should view the play. Unfortunately, it was oversimplistic and confusing to those who were most likely already confused. ;)

See: http://www.asasoftball.com/umpires/clarifications_2010_february.asp
MTR

by wadeintothem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 am

MTR wrote:
MTR wrote:
socalsoftball wrote:I am looking under "Points of Emphasis" in the 2005 ASA rule book (sorry, I can't find a newer version) in the obstruction section. It says, "If a defensive person is blocking the base or basepath without the ball, this is impeding the progress of the runner and this is obstruction. Prior to this year (2005), coaches taught to block the base, catch the ball and make the tag. Now it must be catch the ball, block the base and make the tag."

Not sure if this is in the most recent rule book. But, I would also like to know the rule because I have heard many different views from umpires and coaches.

This was inserted as more of an educational addition to give some direction to the coaches and umpires as to how the removal of "about to receive" affected the manner in which they should view the play. Unfortunately, it was oversimplistic and confusing to those who were most likely already confused. ;)

See: http://www.asasoftball.com/umpires/clarifications_2010_february.asp

Finally! How many times have we had to fight our way through OBS debates on the MBs and even on the field with that RS being tossed around misrepresenting it's intent?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner