Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Stalling...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Patrick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 am

Stalling is a warning on the first occurance, followed by 1 point each on the second and third occurance. 2 points on the fourth, and a DQ on the fifth!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:58 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:I've done games recently where the time limit was:
"Finish the inning plus one more (full inning)"

I thought it was a decent way to deal with the necessity of having timed games.

Did they shorten the clock ? Say, instead of 80, make them 70 with one more full inning after ?

That IS the way to do it.

However, does anyone see the irony of the intent to run out the time while time is out?

lol

weird.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by mstree323 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:I've done games recently where the time limit was:
"Finish the inning plus one more (full inning)"

I thought it was a decent way to deal with the necessity of having timed games.

Did they shorten the clock ? Say, instead of 80, make them 70 with one more full inning after ?

thats done in quite a few tournaments around Fort Worth. the "mansfield" rules.

55 + 1 i think for the 8, 10, and 12s the last few years.

i kinda like it, even though we've never had to deal with any big stalling fiascos.
mstree323

by Coach11 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:12 am

SnocatzDad wrote:
Coach11 wrote:It's only stalling when you're on the losing end of the match.

Any good coach will recognize when/if his team isn't up to keeping a lead.

Managing the clock is a part of any timed game.

And any umpire worth his salt will recognize a stall tactic when he sees it.

Best way to keep him/her on their toes is to ask for the official time remaining at the start of the top and bottom of a late inning.

For Elimination games I'd agree. You manage the clock the same way you would manage substitutions batting order etc or your not a good coach. If you don't and lose due to poor clock management your depriving your team of an extra games worth of developement.

For league/pool games of little signifigance I feel the other way, your robbing both teams of an opportunity to play another inning in a game that will not send you home. Why not take advantage of putting your team in the pressure cooker of having to hold onto a lead late?
Unlike baserunning, hitting, pitching that should be played with the same intensity either way clock management is a coaching function and shouldn't require practice in non meaningful games unless your a poor coach.

For the most part, I agree. Although there are times during pool play where the team NEEDS a win, and geting them off the field before they collapse (figuratively, although there are some Saturdays in July, where it might be literal), becomes a priority.
Coach11

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner