Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Cheating?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:15 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
I, of course was speaking hypothetically ... I was not referring to those who are able to see all ...

The reason I brought it up is that it has been bothering me since a player on a local university team told me that this is what they were being taught to do in certain situations ... usually when the Blues had to be looking at several things at one time ... I agree, stupid & cheating ...

I, too, was speaking hypothetically. Obviously, umpires cannot see "everything". However, a well-trained umpire who is aware of his/her priorities will do everything they can to see all that they can. As a BU, I don't need to worry about a ball rolling on the ground toward the OF fence, so all I have to do is watch the runner within the realm of my responsibility.

However, here you have a coach of a college team who is willing to sacrifice the possible winning run of a ball game based on the presumption a runner will be aware of an umpire's responsibility and priorities.

Maybe the coach should concentrate on teaching the players to take their game to the level that they can score and win without the need for unnecessary shortcuts on the basepaths.

BTW, this coach will probably scream the loudest when a player is ruled out for such shenanigans. Of course, the coach thinks it is okay to demean an official because it is their job to make the players care. That is when they get to go work on next week's game plan. ;)
MTR

by callegacy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm

So if your runner on third obviously leaves early tagging up on a fly-ball and the umpire does nothing are you going to call time out and tell the ump she left early ? come on getting a good jump and skipping a base are two different things but if a player does it and scores well done if she gets out bad idea.
callegacy

by SoCalASABlue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Callegacy;

And I'm sure that runner who skipped the base hoping that the BU did not see it will certainly get a "nice try" from her all-too-understanding coaches after she is called and out and the game ends...or if she does get away with it, perhaps that lesson of "get away of with everything you can" will not come back to haunt her later in life...

The lack of integrity in most, if not all, of your posts is stunning...
SoCalASABlue

by callegacy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 pm

I think your missing the point personally I have never cheated in a game and would never ask a player to skip a base but there are chance plays and smart plays. You still are taking it to literally so what if a player misses a base and scores walks in the dugout the coach should call time and tell the blue huh my player missed second so you need to call her out come on its not like finding a wallet. its like lets say you expect a bunt so you have your second basemen cheat over to 1st is that bad no or with a slapper up you have your shortstop cheat over to third get the point. :D
callegacy

by MTR » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:04 pm

So if your runner on third obviously leaves early tagging up on a fly-ball and the umpire does nothing are you going to call time out and tell the ump she left early ?

What are you talking about? Of course, the umpire isn't SUPPOSED to do anything on a runner leaving early, the coach isn't authorized to call "time" and a team cannot "appeal" their own offense.

come on getting a good jump and skipping a base are two different things but if a player does it and scores well done if she gets out bad idea.

You are correct unless the "good jump" was intentionally leaving early to gain an advantage.

I think your missing the point personally I have never cheated in a game and would never ask a player to skip a base but there are chance plays and smart plays. You still are taking it to literally so what if a player misses a base and scores walks in the dugout the coach should call time and tell the blue huh my player missed second so you need to call her out come on its not like finding a wallet. its like lets say you expect a bunt so you have your second basemen cheat over to 1st is that bad no or with a slapper up you have your shortstop cheat over to third get the point. :D

I think you are missing the point of others. The question was about intentionall violating the rules of the game and whether of not that was cheating. It is, end of story.

Whether or not you have ever cheated, asked someone else to cheat or whatever is irrelevant to the discussion. However, is SEEMS you are determined to justify something or other.
MTR

by callegacy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Whether or not you have ever cheated, asked someone else to cheat or whatever is irrelevant to the discussion. However, is SEEMS you are determined to justify something or other.

read the other posts when someone questions your integrity of course your going to justify something.

my point about the runner tagging up was negligence in knowing there was a wrong and whether you willfully correct it. If you bring it up the opposing coach will call time and appeal the call thus for correcting the call. Know one in there right mind would ever do this so isn't it like cheating point across!
callegacy

by MTR » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm

callegacy wrote:read the other posts when someone questions your integrity of course your going to justify something.

I don't need to justify anything to anyone here. If you feel you do, well, that's your problem.

my point about the runner tagging up was negligence in knowing there was a wrong and whether you willfully correct it. If you bring it up the opposing coach will call time and appeal the call thus for correcting the call. Know one in there right mind would ever do this so isn't it like cheating point across!

Actually, since you continue to offer incorrect information, I'm beginning to wonder exactly how much you know about the game and its rules.
MTR

by Patrick » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Huh???
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by callegacy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:18 pm

exactly not referring to any rules !
callegacy

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Case 1.) Okay, I'll bite ... My gal leaves early ... she was not taught to do that by me ... we all know she did and I say to her in the dugout, "you left early" ... I say the same thing whether the Blue saw it or not ... no high 5's or brow beating either way

Case 2.) You taught the gal to push the envelope, rocker start, knowing it's a tough call

Case 3. ) You taught the gal to intentionally leave early hoping they get away with something
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner