Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which coach can ask question to an ump?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:21 am

Maybe I should have sent this in to that TV show MythBusters.

ASA Myths that were busted.

1. Only the coach that attends the pre game meeting can ask the umpires questions during the games. Myth Busted

2. Umpires can eject spectators from games. Myth Busted. As long as the spectators don’t go on the field of play.

And probably the most highly debated myth around So Cal...

3. Artomatics players running wind sprints on the hotel third floor at all hours during the 2008 12U ASA Nationals. Myth Busted………..Ummm I think we need to review the instant replay on this one.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by wadeintothem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 pm

ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by HugoTafurst » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:15 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
topper wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote: (Snip)
Do you really go to a HS game and meet with the on site administrator before a game ? I not calling BS on that, but wow ... I don't even know what they look like ... :lol: .... Any way, that is not the s.o.p. that VHSL/NFHS has given us ... we're to tell the Coach who is a school employee, often in our area the press box duties are handled by volunteers or students ...

For ASA, I think Comp is onto something in the rule book ...

FYI -
It IS SOP for in our HS games to meet with an administrator before the game (upon arrival at the field).
Admittedly, this does not alway occur and we accept the coach as administrator.
However the game does not start without an admiinistrator identified and visable.

Different part of the country I guess
HugoTafurst

by HugoTafurst » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:22 pm

cent wrote:So there is no rule that specificlly says 'Only the coach who goes to the Home Plate meeting can appeal a call to the umpires'. Thanks for the info, and yes I probably should have got booted but maybe he felt bad that he made up a rule and didn't feel he could kick me out for a Non-Rule.

Sorry for comming a little late to the discussion, but this post has been bugging me for a few days..

Except for a few cases, I don't know of any rule that actually requires the umpire to discuss any call with any coach.

Unless you are following formal protest procedures, you are out there as a courtesy - if the umpire allows.
HugoTafurst

by Supersuds » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:53 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
cent wrote:So there is no rule that specificlly says 'Only the coach who goes to the Home Plate meeting can appeal a call to the umpires'. Thanks for the info, and yes I probably should have got booted but maybe he felt bad that he made up a rule and didn't feel he could kick me out for a Non-Rule.

Sorry for comming a little late to the discussion, but this post has been bugging me for a few days..

Except for a few cases, I don't know of any rule that actually requires the umpire to discuss any call with any coach.

Unless you are following formal protest procedures, you are out there as a courtesy - if the umpire allows.

Who is out there for a courtesy?
Snapcracklepop
Supersuds

by Patrick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 am

As Hugo said, unless it is a protestable situation by rule, the umpire is extending a courtesy to the coach by allowing him on the field to question a call.
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 am

Patrick wrote:As Hugo said, unless it is a protestable situation by rule, the umpire is extending a courtesy to the coach by allowing him on the field to question a call.

Which is why, when I am Coaching, I start out of the dugout towards the Plate Blue and ask " If I may speak to him" or ask, "If I may speak to the Field Blue" ... and expect the same when I'm in the Blue ... but have seen Coaches march out on the field as if it is their 'right' to be there ... :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Patrick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:23 am

If I see a coach marching onto the field, I will usually calmly ask him if he would like time to be called.
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Supersuds wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:

Who is out there for a courtesy?

A coach questioning a call.
I was responding to the statement:
"So there is no rule that specificlly says 'Only the coach who goes to the Home Plate meeting can appeal a call to the umpires'. " and the comment about quoting a "non-rule".
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Patrick wrote:As Hugo said, unless it is a protestable situation by rule, the umpire is extending a courtesy to the coach by allowing him on the field to question a call.

And any umpire who believes that is the way it should be deserves whatever he gets when a situation blows up in his/her face.

An umpire needs to understand the coach's job and allow them to do it. One part of the job is to represent his team, another part is to protect them. As long as the coach is simply entering the field after the play is over, the umpire should NOT take a defensive position and calmly listen to the coach's concerns.

Now, if the coach wants to act like a jerk.......
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner