Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Explain what the strike zone is?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:56 am

wadeintothem wrote:Oh yeah, I remember now.

A strike is when I call it a strike.

Agreed ... But just curious ...ASA speaking ...

Coach says : " what is the upper limit of the strike zone " ?

Wade says :
1.) The bottom of the sternum
2.) The armpits
3.) Coach, you are outta here
4.) When I call it a strike
5.) My eyes are usually closed
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by BigYellowBalls » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:35 pm

But do you know what a strike is?
That is the problem with alot of Umps out there they know how to call one but not necessarily what one is. By the responses to this post I have proved my point!!!
BigYellowBalls

by wadeintothem » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

BigYellowBalls wrote:

That is the problem with alot of Umps out there they know how to call one but not necessarily what one is. By the responses to this post I have proved my point!!!

Yeah, but who are you to even have a point? Do YOU know? Is the extent of your qualification having read a sentence in a book and now you suddenly think you know what a strike is? How do YOU know and what are YOUR qualifications?

My zone has always received good marks in evalatuion, whether, NCAA, ASA, or NFHS... and some of those evaluations includes coaches...and some damn good and known coaches at that.

I go through substantial training every year, numerous evaluations, and call thousands and thousands of pitches from just about every level of pitcher while under continuous scrutiny. What makes you know? Same thing with many of the umps here.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:41 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
BigYellowBalls wrote:

Yeah, but who are you to even have a point? Do YOU know? Is the extent of your qualification having read a sentence in a book and now you suddenly think you know what a strike is? How do YOU know and what are YOUR qualifications?

My zone has always received good marks in evalatuion, whether, NCAA, ASA, or NFHS... and some of those evaluations includes coaches...and some damn good and known coaches at that.

I go through substantial training every year, numerous evaluations, and call thousands and thousands of pitches from just about every level of pitcher while under continuous scrutiny. What makes you know? Same thing with many of the umps here.

.... er ...uh ..... He has Big Yellow Balls ... LMAOWIOAB! :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sparky Guy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:47 pm

When I'm working with my pitchers I will ask them how many strike zones are there? Ultimately I get blank stare from them and they will say one. That's when I inform there are 4 different strike zones engaged at the same time during a game to different degrees. Then I really get the blank stare. After that I explain it to them.

#1 Is the strike zone that is defined by the rules. It's nice to read what it is supposed to be and hope you get it if you're a pitcher.

#2 Is the hitter's strike zone. What the hitter believes is a strike.

#3 Is the pitcher's strike zone. Where does she like to work at around the plate for strikes.

#4 Is the umpire's strike zone. I make sure that my pitchers and catchers know they must establish what the umpire is calling for a strike. I teach them they must work their zone against the hitter's while keeping within the framework of what the umpire is calling. Once they understand this they can make the necessary adjustments. I make sure my pitchers and catchers communicate with each other trying to figure out what will be called and what will not.

My biggest pet peeve over the years while my daughter was pitching was the "floating" or "waving" strike zone. When the zone changes from inning to inning, it is the most frustrating thing. The good top level pitchers and catchers will adjust to a consistent zone. If they don't know what to work to it becomes a very long day.

Some of the things I noticed over the years. When the strike zone is consistent there is very little squeaking from either dugout. When it's only from one dugout, it's usually the losing team. When it's both dugouts equally it's the umpire who's horrible. I have seen some umpires who are so bad at calling a game they should not be let within 50' of home plate. When both catchers turn to their dugouts and shrug their shoulders to the coach because they can't figure out what will be called a strike from pitch to pitch, it's bad. Then I've seen some guys who are so consistent behind the plate they are like machines. Their zone don't change from pitch to pitch and everyone adjusts. These are the guys who should be observed and learned from. The other thing that I noticed as well. When the umpire is consistent behind the plate the game tends to move quicker with a much better flow.
Sparky Guy

by Tarpon07 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Had a blue at a 10U tournament last year call a strike (resulted in the 3rd out) on a change up that was released late. The ball actually flew over his head. We had disagreed with some of his calls. He showed me.... :roll:
Tarpon07

by MTR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 am

Tarpon07 wrote:Had a blue at a 10U tournament last year call a strike (resulted in the 3rd out) on a change up that was released late. The ball actually flew over his head.

Wow, he must have really gotten down low ;)
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 am

MTR wrote:
Tarpon07 wrote:Had a blue at a 10U tournament last year call a strike (resulted in the 3rd out) on a change up that was released late. The ball actually flew over his head.

Wow, he must have really gotten down low ;)

Maybe the batter shouldn't have swung at it ... :lol:
GIMNEPIWO

by henryg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 pm

For those of you that get "Referee" magazine there is a great article in the Feb 2010 issue entitled "Be a Strike Caller". After reading it I think I may make some adjustments to my zone. Interested in others' comments.
henryg

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:55 pm

henryg wrote:For those of you that get "Referee" magazine there is a great article in the Feb 2010 issue entitled "Be a Strike Caller". After reading it I think I may make some adjustments to my zone. Interested in others' comments.

No, but post a link to the article and others may comment ...
GIMNEPIWO

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner