Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which coach can ask question to an ump?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wadeintothem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 pm

That post has been bugging me too because I dont think in those terms.The coach has a right to be the advocate for his team. The coach has a right, within reason, to ask about my call. Everyone knows the lines... if you are within those lines, we will discuss then we will move on. I do not consider it a courtesy extended to them. Its part of the game. They have their responsibilities and I have mine.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm

wadeintothem wrote:That post has been bugging me too because I dont think in those terms.The coach has a right to be the advocate for his team. The coach has a right, within reason, to ask about my call. Everyone knows the lines... if you are within those lines, we will discuss then we will move on. I do not consider it a courtesy extended to them. Its part of the game. They have their responsibilities and I have mine.

I bow to and respect all the opinions of those with more experience than I ... But, suppose at work, you wanted to speak to your boss or the one in charge of making sure things run smoothly .... Do you just walk into his/her office and start speaking ? ... Probably not ... You would ask to speak to them, schedule an appointment and procede with the neccessary respect or your as* would be sent packing ... If the Plate Blue is in charge, shouldn't the Coach request time and ask to speak to him/her or their partner ? It is a matter of respect that, IMO, that should go both ways ... but maybe I see it different now that I'm on both sides ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:That post has been bugging me too because I dont think in those terms.The coach has a right to be the advocate for his team. The coach has a right, within reason, to ask about my call. Everyone knows the lines... if you are within those lines, we will discuss then we will move on. I do not consider it a courtesy extended to them. Its part of the game. They have their responsibilities and I have mine.

I bow to and respect all the opinions of those with more experience than I ... But, suppose at work, you wanted to speak to your boss or the one in charge of making sure things run smoothly .... Do you just walk into his/her office and start speaking ? ... Probably not ... You would ask to speak to them, schedule an appointment and procede with the neccessary respect or your as* would be sent packing ... If the Plate Blue is in charge, shouldn't the Coach request time and ask to speak to him/her or their partner ? It is a matter of respect that, IMO, that should go both ways ... but maybe I see it different now that I'm on both sides ...

Obviously, and I would consider that all within the "lines" of how it gets done.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:But, suppose at work, you wanted to speak to your boss or the one in charge of making sure things run smoothly .... Do you just walk into his/her office and start speaking ? ... Probably not ... You would ask to speak to them, schedule an appointment and procede with the neccessary respect or your as* would be sent packing ... If the Plate Blue is in charge, shouldn't the Coach request time and ask to speak to him/her or their partner ? It is a matter of respect that, IMO, that should go both ways ... but maybe I see it different now that I'm on both sides ...

If you want to use that analogy, I am in charge of my office, but if the guy paying for me to be there wants to talk, s/he can talk.

The teams are paying for the umpire to do a job and the coach is basically acting as quality control/auditor.
MTR

by Patrick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm

"As Hugo said, unless it is a protestable situation by rule, the umpire is extending a courtesy to the coach by allowing him on the field to question a call."

"Now, if the coach wants to act like a jerk......."

Exactly my point. I will extend the courtesy, as would you, unless the coach wants to act like a jerk!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 pm

And any umpire who believes that is the way it should be deserves whatever he gets when a situation blows up in his/her face.

An umpire needs to understand the coach's job and allow them to do it. One part of the job is to represent his team, another part is to protect them. As long as the coach is simply entering the field after the play is over, the umpire should NOT take a defensive position and calmly listen to the coach's concerns.

Now, if the coach wants to act like a jerk..

Coaching Travel for 14 years. Umpires like Wade and you MTR are the ones that make the game run smooth and understand the game. As a coach, we all appreciate you.

The others who think they ARE the GAME and so into the rules it sure makes the game hard to play for the girls, coaches, parents, and umpires. Your phrase of we all have a job to do is what it is all about. I call time, yell a little maybe, you listen, tell me you saw it a different way, I say okay you are right and I always thank the umpires for hearing me. We all do our jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you umpires have played enough ball to know that a coaches job is to as MTR says, protect his team. If the girls, parents, don't believe you are protecting your team, coach is in deep you know what.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:But, suppose at work, you wanted to speak to your boss or the one in charge of making sure things run smoothly .... Do you just walk into his/her office and start speaking ? ... Probably not ... You would ask to speak to them, schedule an appointment and procede with the neccessary respect or your as* would be sent packing ... If the Plate Blue is in charge, shouldn't the Coach request time and ask to speak to him/her or their partner ? It is a matter of respect that, IMO, that should go both ways ... but maybe I see it different now that I'm on both sides ...

If you want to use that analogy, I am in charge of my office, but if the guy paying for me to be there wants to talk, s/he can talk.

The teams are paying for the umpire to do a job and the coach is basically acting as quality control/auditor.

Yes ... I agree 100% ... All I'm saying is that it should not be presumed ... or should it ?... Does a Coach or player 'CALL TIME' as Cent suggests ? No, a Coach or player asks the Umpire to call time on his/her behalf ... I've seen Coaches start walking on the field while the ball was still live and say 'Time'! ... Do you grant it just because he/she is there as a representitive of the gals ? You are in charge in your office and you will meet with the guy/gal who is paying for you to be there ... but they don't just walk in your door while you're on the phone or meeting with someone else ... at very least they should knock ... I am far from thinking that the game is about me, whether Coaching or Umping ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:36 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Yes ... I agree 100% ... All I'm saying is that it should not be presumed ... or should it ?... Does a Coach or player 'CALL TIME' as Cent suggests ? No, a Coach or player asks the Umpire to call time on his/her behalf ... I've seen Coaches start walking on the field while the ball was still live and say 'Time'! ... Do you grant it just because he/she is there as a representitive of the gals ? You are in charge in your office and you will meet with the guy/gal who is paying for you to be there ... but they don't just walk in your door while you're on the phone or meeting with someone else ... at very least they should knock ... I am far from thinking that the game is about me, whether Coaching or Umping ...

Hang on, bubba. Don't cite my post and then defend supposition that was not part of it.

Of course, we all know only the umpire can suspend play and a coach is risking an INT call not to mention ejection by entering the field before that point. And s/he better hope they are not the only ACE certified coach. ;)

And, cent, I appreciate your compliment, but I am rules-anal. Knowing and applying the rules are the job. Game management is another part of that job. If applying the rules makes it difficult for the girls to play, that is coach's fault for not preparing them to play, not the umpire's for doing their job.

The umpire doesn't make the rules, but is paid to be there for the purpose of applying them in the manner directed by the organization under which you agreed to play. Yes, there are some umpires who stand out like a sore thumb. However, in my 42 years of experience, most the time that I've seen umpires be accused of making the game about themselves, it was more like the players/coaches/parents made the game about the umpire because they didn't care/understand for a particular rule that was applied.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Patrick wrote:"As Hugo said, unless it is a protestable situation by rule, the umpire is extending a courtesy to the coach by allowing him on the field to question a call."

"Now, if the coach wants to act like a jerk......."

Exactly my point. I will extend the courtesy, as would you, unless the coach wants to act like a jerk!

Thank you Patrick for understanding my post
HugoTafurst

by HugoTafurst » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 pm

cent wrote:(snip)

The others who think they ARE the GAME and so into the rules it sure makes the game hard to play for the girls, coaches, parents, and umpires.
(snip) ]

This from the same guy who wrote:

I would slowly walk back to the dugout and get my assistant coach to slowly walk out on the field to challenge the call.

Pot:"Kettle, I think you're looking a liitle black today"
HugoTafurst

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner