Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

When can the runner leave on a fly ball?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Ice Man » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:57 pm

What is the rule according to Texas high school rules (who follow NCAA or UIL?) and ASA rules?

R1 on third base, less than 2 outs. Ball is hit to left fielder in the air. Obvious tag situation for the runner. While runner is standing at the bag on third, the ball hits the left fielder's glove and is being bobbled. No control of the catch has been established. While ball is being juggled, R1 leaves from third heading for home. While running to home, the left fielder gains control of the ball which never hit the ground.

What is the ruling on when the runner can leave the bag? Is it when the ball first hits the glove or after the ball has been in control of the left fielder? I understand that control is in the opinion of the umpire.

Is it different for Texas high school rules (who follow NCAA or UIL?) then ASA? Or are they the same?
Ice Man

by Comp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:40 pm

The runner can leave on first touch. If they were on base or properly tagged up after the ball was first touched they are legal.
Comp

by watcher » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Comp wrote:The runner can leave on first touch. If they were on base or properly tagged up after the ball was first touched they are legal.

We have a winnaaaaaa
watcher

by Bretman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Ice Man wrote:Is it different for Texas high school rules (who follow NCAA or UIL?) then ASA? Or are they the same?

I would be extremely surprised if Texas high schools are following some rule that is any different than the ASA rule on this. Let me put it this way- I've held certification or sanction for about a half dozen different baseball or softball associations over the years and this rule has been the same for all of them (runners can leave when the ball is first touched). In the course of studying rules for other organizations, I've probably looked at a dozen other various rule sets and they've all been the same, too.

I think it's safe to say that this is one rule that is universal for all baseball and softball rule sets.

But it wasn't always so! You have to go back around 100 years to the early days of baseball to understand why is rule is written the way it is today. Go back far enough and the rule did say that a runner had to tag up until the ball was caught. Outfielders of the day soon found a way to exploit that wording of the rule.

On a fly ball to the outfield, a crafty fielder would purposely juggle the ball all the way to the infield before securing it, thus preventing the runner's advance. To close this loophole, the rule was rewritten to say that runner's could leave base when the ball was first touched, not when it was eventually controlled for a catch.

This was about 20-30 years before the first softball rule book was even written. When it was published, the "first touch" wording was maintained and it's stayed that way to this day.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Ice Man » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification on this rule. Again, I have learned something new about the game and will continue to do so here on heybucket!!! Thanks to all that posted.
Ice Man

by Jalamander » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 am

Bretman wrote:I think it's safe to say that this is one rule that is universal for all baseball and softball rule sets.

I concur with Bretman. Every rule set I've studied contains the "first touch" wording.
Jalamander

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 am

Jalamander wrote:
Bretman wrote:I think it's safe to say that this is one rule that is universal for all baseball and softball rule sets.

I concur with Bretman. Every rule set I've studied contains the "first touch" wording.

11.) Thou shalt leave on first touch ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:25 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:11.) Thou shalt leave on first touch ;)

And the penalty for failure to do so is The Bench.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by skahtboi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:51 am

Ice Man wrote:What is the rule according to Texas high school rules (who follow NCAA or UIL?) and ASA rules?

Is it different for Texas high school rules (who follow NCAA or UIL?) then ASA? Or are they the same?

Texas HS do not use NCAA rules, though, if they did, it would be no different than the citation you have already been given. Also, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) merely governs competition in the state, they do not provide the rules, or, as of this writing, the officials. The rules are the same ones that most state HS associations in the United States are using, which are rules written by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). In this rule set, there is also no difference as to when a player may leave on a fly ball.
skahtboi

Return to The Umpire Corner