Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Use of Video Cameras near a dugout?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:38 am

ASA rules, I'm a parent who is sitting next to our dugout(i.e. not in the dugout) taking video of our batters. Opposing coach doesn't like me taking video of our batters because he thinks I'm stealing his signs. From where I'm sitting on the 3rd base side of the field, he is in the background behind our hitters. My only interest is in our batters so that we can analyze their swings.

Opposing coach complains to the Plate Ump. PU does nothing but keep the game going. We ask the coach what's going on and he tells us that in ASA you can't sit near a dugout and shoot video. I know that you can't have communicatin devices in the dugout, but can't remember any rule that states you can't shot video near a dugout.

Is there any rule that prohibits the use of video cameras near a dugout? How about in a dugout?
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by coolstuff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:03 pm

ice_67 wrote:ASA rules, I'm a parent who is sitting next to our dugout(i.e. not in the dugout) taking video of our batters. Opposing coach doesn't like me taking video of our batters because he thinks I'm stealing his signs. From where I'm sitting on the 3rd base side of the field, he is in the background behind our hitters. My only interest is in our batters so that we can analyze their swings.

Opposing coach complains to the Plate Ump. PU does nothing but keep the game going. We ask the coach what's going on and he tells us that in ASA you can't sit near a dugout and shoot video. I know that you can't have communicatin devices in the dugout, but can't remember any rule that states you can't shot video near a dugout.

Is there any rule that prohibits the use of video cameras near a dugout? How about in a dugout?

In the USSSA nationals in Florida last year, the exact same thing happened. The opposing coach notified the plate ump but he was also kind about it. He knew what the camera was for but just wanted to be safe because this was nationals after all. The parent with the video camera was able to reposition himself so the opposing coach was not in the background but still get a good view of the hitters, and the opposing coach was fine with that. It was all negotiated through the plate ump and settled to the satisfaction of both parties. There may have been such a rule in place but it was handled well in this particular case.
coolstuff

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Umpires have NO authority over parents and their cameras.

The only authority granted umpires would be in terms of designated press areas and in terms of electronic communication between coaches.

You are good to go, next time he complains, set it up on a tripod aiming it right at his bucket. :mrgreen:

(That said.. a TD could probably get involved on some level.. but this is not umpire stuff.)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by SSdad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Granted, I see the benefit of videotaping the kids and help correcting the mechanics if need be. I also can see how the opposing coach might think you are trying to steal signs. My question is: Is there something that states that said videographer can/can't show the video to the girls during the game. I know in MLB, players frequently leave the dugout to see what kind of pitch they stuck out on.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
SSdad

by Bretman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:53 am

High school (NFHS) rules expressly prohibit the use of video during a game for coaching purposes. While a parent or fan could be outside the team area recording, replaying the video for players or coaches during the game is not allowed.

For ASA, the closest thing I've been able to find is Rules Supplement #11:

Communication devices are not allowed on the playing field or in the dugouts.
Head phones and ear phones have been used by coaches to communicate
from one coaches’ box to the other, to communicate between coaches and the
dugout, and from the stands to the dugout. Signs and signals have been stolen
while outside the field of play, stands or the outfield area and communicated to
coaches or players. Therefore, umpires must prohibit any use of such equipment.
Electronic scorebooks, however, are not considered a communication
device and are legal for use by base coaches.

Is the equipment used to record video, and replay it, a "communication" device? I would have to say it is, if it is being used to communicate information about the game.

R/S 16 tells us that players and coaches not participating in the game must (with few exceptions) remain in the team dugout. That would shoot down the idea having the players slip out of the dugout to review the video.

As for what the myriad of other santioning bodies might allow, you would have to check their individual rule books.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by ice_67 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 am

I appreciate the replies. As the video was only being used to help our hitters with their swings, our pitchers with their mechanics or home movies of DD. I will not show it to the players during a game. Good advice on repositioning if the TD has an issue.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

Return to The Umpire Corner