Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Has OBS rule changed ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:01 am

In fast pitch discussions, Turbo brought up that ASA changed the OBS rules recently ... I am not doing ASA currently but don't recall any change in NFHS and do not see any change in the wording ... My older books are in storage and working out of the 2018 book.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:57 am

No, there has been no change to the rules involving OBS in USA Softball
MTR

by Tangled up in blue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:In fast pitch discussions, Turbo brought up that ASA changed the OBS rules recently ... I am not doing ASA currently but don't recall any change in NFHS and do not see any change in the wording ... My older books are in storage and working out of the 2018 book.

I read the other thread, and to answer your question:

For USA and NFHS, the obstruction rule (which is exactly the same for both rule codes) has not changed in 2018. Relevant to the photos, obstruction is when a defensive player, without possession of the ball, hinders or impedes a runner. That's it. Period. Nothing more. Please note: the position of the fielder to any base or baseline is NOT part of the rule or necessary/sufficient for obstruction. With the only evidence being the two the photos, there is no obstruction per USA/NFHS rules.

I reiterate, the position of the fielder to the base (i.e. "blocking the base without the ball") is NOT part of the obstruction rule per USA/NFHS.

Now, NCAA is different, as the rule has changed for 2018-2019. The position of the fielder is part of the rule. There are other aspects, but that's a different thread.

Bottom line, two different rules.
Tangled up in blue

by jonriv » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

To the umpires out there that ump under different rule jurisdictions- do you ever find yourself inadvertently making a call based on the wrong set of rules?
jonriv

by Hinky » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:17 pm

video clip of obstruction and they are referring to the ball not being in Defenders glove. so can you please explain how the ball is related to obstruction since it is in the wording.
NFHS obstruction2:
http://youtu.be/lBy-maGTDNw

this video is a perfect example of what I've been seeing called . Umpires awarding runner the base. Umpires explaining Fielder must have ball in glove. As explained in video.
Last edited by Hinky on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hinky

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Hinky,

Your clip wouldn't load.

NFHS 2-36 ... "or impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is making the initial play on a batted ball."

It is about impeding the progress of the runner without possession of the ball ... A fielder merely being in the runners base path without possession does not automatically indicate that there has been obstruction. Savvy ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Fixed youtube info....should work.

Got it! it has to be a direct physical block of runner reaching the base.
wow it's really subjective to the opinion of the umpire big time because they are calling
Obstruction while part of the base is still available to be reached. Pgf & Tcs blues explained
'cant be infront of base without the ball'
thanks for the specific explanation
Hinky

by Tangled up in blue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Hinky wrote:video clip of obstruction and they are referring to the ball not being in Defenders glove. so can you please explain how the ball is related to obstruction since it is in the wording.
NFHS obstruction2:
http://youtu.be/lBy-maGTDNw

this video is a perfect example of what I've been seeing called . Umpires awarding runner the base. Umpires explaining Fielder must have ball in glove. As explained in video.

If the fielder doesn't have possession of the ball (i.e. "in the glove"), the defender cannot hinder or impede the runner. In your video, if you stop it at :14, although the fielder is "blocking the base without the ball," this is not obstruction because the runner is yet to be hindered. However, at :15, the runner is hindered (with the contact) PLUS the fielder does not have possession EQUALS obstruction. This is the interpretation for NFHS and USA (and PGF, and they play by NFHS rules).

However, the new NCAA rule this year, :14 would be obstruction due to the player's positioning.
Tangled up in blue

by MTR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Hinky wrote:Fixed youtube info....should work.

Got it! it has to be a direct physical block of runner reaching the base.
wow it's really subjective to the opinion of the umpire big time because they are calling
Obstruction while part of the base is still available to be reached. Pgf & Tcs blues explained
'cant be infront of base without the ball'
thanks for the specific explanation

Part of the base being available is irrelevant to the rule, always has been in softball.

The runner has the right of way at all times with the exception of a fielder attempting to field a batter ball or in possession of the ball. This rule has been in effect in NFHS and ASA/USA for more than a decade. Unless PGF & TCS has changed rules just for their rule sets or have adopted NCAA rules, they are making up their own rules or interpretations
MTR

by Hinky » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 pm

thank you that was excellent feedback. Good explanation with the video. The umpires were calling the NCAA version on ruling at pgf & tcs
stop the video at :14 -
Hinky

Return to The Umpire Corner